Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

PC to TV hookup

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 12:30 PM
zbo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PC to TV hookup

i'm getting a sony 46" lcd 1080P lcd tv that has a pc input and an s-video hook up. i was wondering if i can run from my computer to the TV and use that screen for my sim flying.
i'm not sure also how far the max run for those cables is. if i hide the cable it will be about 30' if i just run it across the floor when i'm using it i need about 15'. i might need to get a differant video card for my computer that will output to the TV. i have an ATI radeon 9200 with 128 ram but am not sure about the output for the tv........
any suggestions?
Joe
Old 10-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Cryhavoc
My Feedback: (46)

Default RE: PC to TV hookup

The ATI Radeon 9200 w/128Mb RAM isn't one of your better video cards this day and age. First thing you'll want to do is goto the manufacturer's website to determine your card's capabilities. The best alternative is to get a new Nvidia with the RAM and ports that will allow you to utilize your great new TV. I've found that ATI will work with this Sim or that Sim but Nvidia seems to work with them all. I've owned just about all the Sim's out there have had numerous trouble(s) with ATI's products. Not that all of their products are bad. Just the ones I've been exposed to. I own a computer company.

Good Luck!
Old 10-27-2007, 03:59 PM
zbo2

yea..........it's the one that came with the computer like 3 or 4 years ago so i'm wanting to upgrade that item anyway. my son has the exact same computer but we put in a high dollar Nvidia over clocked with a bigger power supply for his video gaming.......that card rocks! i guess i'll just have to get on that supports the output for the TV. this card works ok with FS One.........but that's it just ok.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:03 PM
LSF2298
My Feedback: (4)

I think you are thinking about this backwards. You don't want you PC to output TV Signals, you want your TV to accept the normal video output from your PC. Your LCD TV doesn't use analog TV signals, it uses Digital Inputs, which is what you PC is putting out. I think??? Your TV should have a 9 pin input connector which would connect to the Display output connector from your PC. Then you select the proper input from the Input Menu selection on your TV.. Again, I think. If your PC can drive an LCD Monitor, it will drive your LCD TV.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:19 PM
zbo2

yes you are correct, that's what i'm looking for, a video card that has the means or port to output to the tv. the tv has 2 inputs, a s-video input and a pc input. i'm sure the s-video is the one to use but i'm unsure of the maximum distance that i would be allowed to run the s-video cable.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:28 AM
JDV500

i just did this to our wall screen in the living room off of my toshiba laptop. using a 9 pin to 15 pin connector, s-video i think it was/is. however my largest pixel rate on my laptop only fills a small portion of the large screen viewing area, not even half of it, but at least it centered and much closer to real scale,, helps alot with orientation.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:32 PM
zbo2

i was wondering if the image on the large screen would be full. that might be a function of your perticular video card also or when your using the wall screen you might have to go into your display options on the laptop and change your screen resolution to fill it out.....just the same as if you get a larger monitor for your laptop, you have to go into the display setting and change it to get it to look right. anyhow i do have an s-video output on my current video card and an input on the LCD so i'll see what it looks like before i go spend big bucks on a better video card.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:27 AM
jbfoster
My Feedback: (16)

If you are getting a 1080 LCD TV, you will want to use the PC connection on the TV. S-Video, as most commonly implemented, carries high-bandwidth 480i or 576i resolution video. The video will not be that good with S-video. I use S-video on my laptop to my TV and I can't read the words. Movies play ok. I have a 19" LCD with a PC connector. I can hook up my TV to my desktop as I would a PC monitor. If your graphics card has two VGA outputs then you should beable to hook one to your PC monitor and the other to yor TV. set the resolution to work on your TV.

Jim
Old 11-06-2007, 12:35 AM
zbo2

the card i have in there now only has 1 video output and 1 s-video output. i'm looking into getting a differant card, one that's an upgrade. i'm wondering when they will come out with a card that has a HDMI output. anyhow....any suggestions on a new card?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:39 PM
jbfoster
My Feedback: (16)

I don't know much about video cards but I have seen them with HDMI outputs on video cards.

Jim
Old 11-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Shivershot

I gess your pc input is a vga input? Most of those cables are 10 feet or shorter. As for s-vid I don't know of any over 16 feet. There is the wireless option but be prepared to open your wallet. Swaping video cards is not an open case swap and your set type thing either. Get a good laptop (used or new) that has a good vid card than you can hook it up to the tv when you want. You can take it to the feild to warm up too before flying

I have a loptop just for music and saved vids hooked up to my home audio/ vidio system. never moves. All computers can be linked via wireless network. Most routers let 4 wired computers and up to 50 laptops.My kids computer has a giant hardrive that I use to back up or ghost my personal laptop that I use. It has a ATI 9700 128 meg vid card and the reealflight works great.
I would get a laptop to hook up to the tv or a desktop with a wireless key board. Desktop might be cheeper but not portable.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:11 PM
zbo2

i do have an alienware laptop but will have to check the specs to see if it will work. i already have a wireless router set up and the laptop is wireless all the other computers that i have are hard wired to the network. i'm probably going to wait till i get my entertainment center for the new LCD ( i got a 52 for very little more than the 46 ). then see what kind of room i have. i'll either use the laptop if the insides are up to snuff of possibly move one of the other computers over there. the tv location is only 6 feet from the router. i can't wait, the picture on this tv is sweet.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:57 PM
Shivershot

check this out
[link]http://www.quartics.com/products/pctotv.aspx[/link]

Old 11-11-2007, 01:12 AM
zbo2

intresting, but i don't see any info on system requirments or purchasing info or pricing.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Cryhavoc
My Feedback: (46)

Not only isn't there any info on pricing or system requirements but the support option on their, (Quantics) website is a password protected dealer portal. This would seemingly indicate that all support will come from the dealer, which rarely works. Similar products that I've located sell for around $200.00+ with varying results. If this one's on the level, whenever it becomes available, it'll provide 1280x720 resolution in true color for remote PC applications, according to Quantics' website. I checked their advertising and while it indicates this will do alot of things, they carefully dodge saying anything to do with the G word, (Gaming). Nowhere did I find where the hinted at that.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Shivershot

I provided this link as someting to watch for and investagate. I don't think the product is even avalable yet
Old 11-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Shivershot

[link]http://www.sundialmicro.com/pc_to_tv_converter_gwb4000_1706_220.html[/link]

Here is a wireless hook up that says it works with gaming for $118
Old 11-13-2007, 01:10 PM
oly_rcer

i have a radeon 9200 card in my puter not sure what you have but mine has dvi output for an lcd hookup i have dual screen set up with my puter monitor as main pc screen and also output to my lcd tv that i play my games on tv in 25 feet from puter and i have no signal loss
oly
Old 11-13-2007, 09:53 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Toshiba DVD player/recorder with a hard drive. It will bring in video via Firewire for my big screen TV, or to record.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:39 AM
zbo2

yea.......mine does not have the dvi out. i'm gonna have to upgrade. what cord are you running out to the tv from your video cards dvi output, i haven't seen any cords that long.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:21 PM
bobbyboy1962

ive run g3,5 from my laptop to both my rear projection 57" tv, lower end one at that , with a dvi cable fr4om my6 dell, it has a G-Force 6800 go 512 meg vid card in it, and to my plasma 42" with a standard 9pin video cable for a second monitor setup with a 12 foot cable extension on the 6 foot cable for a total run of 18 feet, nothing like lying in bed and flying around on a 57" screen!! At least not until the wife starts snoring!!! LOL