Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Is anybody using a HP with realflight?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Is anybody using a HP with realflight?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 05:59 AM
thriller
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is anybody using a HP with realflight?

I would like to find a reasonably priced video card for my hp 667mhz celeron processer with 256ram. I don't know too much about the inside of the computer but I only have one pci slot available. I don't need the best card by an means. I would just like to run realflight with 3d terrain and trees.
Old 03-05-2002, 12:54 PM
bwindrum

I just had to update my video card to run G2 and didn't want to spend too much on an aging computer.

I got a Nvidia TNT2 model 64 for $80.00. Simply remove the old one and plug it into the same slot.

Good luck
Bob
Old 03-05-2002, 04:16 PM
bitstream

Your HP probably has onboard video (built into the motherboard, not a separate card), and probably has an AGP (Accelerated Graphics Port) slot available. An AGP slot is a smaller brown slot, and it will be above all of the white pci slots. You would be much better off getting an AGP card if you have you have a slot available. As far as which card, I would suggest one of the following video chips:

$49 - GeForce2 MX400 64MB
$48 - GeForce2 MX400 32MB
$41 - GeForce2 MX200 64MB
$30 - GeForce2 MX200 32MB
$48 - GeForce2 GTS 32MB

These are current prices (in $USD) from pricewatch.com. You will have to check which vendors ship internationally, and be sure to confirm the shipping costs. The MX400 is a bit more powerfull that the MX200, and the cost difference is small.

What is the model number of your HP? Maybe I could give you a little more help.
Old 03-05-2002, 04:39 PM
bluesky123
My Feedback: (2)

bitstream is right on target.
If your motherboard has an AGP slot, you can get a previous generation (but still, kick arse) video card quite cheap.
Among the cards listed by bitstream, GeForce2 GTS is, probably, the best choice (64MB RAM doesn't do any good to the slower MX chips).
I've got my GTS-V from www.newegg.com for $49. They don't have them in stock now, but you have to check them from time to time.
CPU speed doesn't matter as much as the video card. When I switched from ATI Rage128 card to GeForce2 GTS in the same 850MHz Celeron machine, my FPS increased ten-fold: from 5 to 50 FPS in 1280x1024 in 32-bit color!
Old 03-05-2002, 07:15 PM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

When adding an AGP card to a MB with built-in video, you may have to go through BIOS setup to disable the built-in video.

Same deal if you add a sound card, etc.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:40 AM
thriller

Default video card

I have a white pci slot and the model is a HP Pavilion 6740c. thanks for the info.
Old 03-06-2002, 02:51 PM
bitstream

According to HP, that model has either the Intel i810 or i815 video card. I believe those chips were only made for the AGP bus. But, I wouldn't be suprised if HP only gave pci slots for expansion. I used a video card with one of these intel chips a couple of years ago. Worked very well. I don't have the G2 version of realflight, but it seems to me that you should have enough computing power (according to the system requirements) to use the 3d terrains. Do the graphics work, but just run real slow?? Computers are so different, it is hard to tell, but you may be able to try just going into the BIOS and giving the AGP video more memory to work with. AGP chips usually have on-board memory, but also share the main RAM in the pc. Most motherboards have adjustable settings for how much memory is shared. You will probably have to upgrade the video card, but just thought I would give you something to try to see if you could get the results you want.

Good Luck!
Old 04-20-2002, 11:59 AM
thriller

Default video card

the onboard video card that I have is only 4 meg. I have bought a 16 meg tnt2 pci slot card off of ebay and am waiting for it. thanks for all the reply's. I will try it out and let you all know
Old 04-29-2002, 02:17 AM
thriller

Default new card

as long as I keep the resolution down to 16 bit. the 16 meg card works just fine for the G2
Old 04-29-2002, 07:57 AM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Default RE RF ON HP

Hello thriller,
I have a HP brand PC and have seperate video & sound card.I spent the $70.00 bucks for the INVIDIA TNT 2 video card. haven't regreted buying it. works great with Realflight and RF G2 INTERLINK. Spend the bucks you won't be sorry after you get your RF going.
NEDYOB
PS HAY ELWOOD & BLUESKY123 WHEN ARE WE GOING TO FLY ON LINE AGAIN??? SHOOT ME A PM ON DATE & TIME AND I WILL HOST AGAIN.