Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

FSOne - any tweaks needed to increase realism?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

FSOne - any tweaks needed to increase realism?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:28 AM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FSOne - any tweaks needed to increase realism?

I tried G4 at a friend's house this weekend with the defaults set and it didn't feel that realistic. The plane seemed way too steady and smooth. Imagine there are things you can tweak with these simulators to get rid of the video game feel and make it feel more realistic?

I have FSOne on the way. Should have it late this week. Curious if there are any settings I can tweak to ensure I am getting a realistic experience?

Appreciate any input.

somegeek
Old 03-24-2008, 03:20 PM
FrankFuss

Default RE: FSOne - any tweaks needed to increase realism?

I have been using FSOne to get my skills back after a long layoff from the hobby. I think that you will find it feels more life-like in how it flies. Since I am in Denver, I especially like that I can set the simulator altitude to 5000', so hopefully I am getting a closer experience to what I will have in real life in the thin air. I wish that FSOne had a larger following, but I guess that a simulator with the best physics is not the top priority for everyone. With a larger market share they could spend more on more frequent updates and such.

Frank
Old 03-24-2008, 03:30 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

I don't get that - you'd think that good physics in training software would be top priority for buyers? Thanks for the reply. From what I read on RCU, the FSOne sim physics are some of the best. The graphics don't need to be the best... from what I saw they work fine for me. I'm wanting to improve my skills overall and try new things at home before risking my planes. I enjoy getting a new plane at the touch of the button vs a repaired plane via hours in my garage with Titebond II.

somegeek
Old 03-24-2008, 05:22 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: somegeek

I tried G4 at a friend's house this weekend with the defaults set and it didn't feel that realistic. The plane seemed way too steady and smooth. Imagine there are things you can tweak with these simulators to get rid of the video game feel and make it feel more realistic?
Defaults on almost all the sims starts with zero turbulence and perfectly trimmed models.

And since the most popular sims are being used to showcase specific lines of models (those being sold by the same company selling that sim) you really aren't going to see poor flying models. So what's left? Turbulence and changeable wind. And all of them seem to have settings for those.

I helped a buddy setup his Christmas present sim. His first reaction was that the model was easier to fly than in reality. We cranked the turbulence up from zero and added some wind. I was just talking to him about downloading and installing some of the G4 models available from Knife Edge. He talked mostly about how realistic G4 flies now. It isn't just G4 that benefits from changing from the defaults. But it does for sure.