Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

WOW! Is Realflight G2 junk???*!%$!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

WOW! Is Realflight G2 junk???*!%$!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 11:31 PM
GliderJunkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOW! Is Realflight G2 junk???*!%$!!!

Today I bought the Realflight G2 simulator package and when I got back to myt hotel room ( I travel a lot and wanted to brush up on my skills) to try to load the software I found several problems with the product.
First the CD has a problem and could not be read in my CD rom. I check the CD rom with other CDs and had no problem. The laptop cannot read the CD.
Second I was checking the interface and found the throttle gimble was installed on the right side where I expected a smooth elevator gimble. The gimble on the right has the click-settings that one would find on the throttle gimble on the left side.

Now I have to try to deal with their support which I hope will not be another experience, but I will post the results.

Oh Boy!!!!!
Old 06-13-2003, 05:34 PM
Maggie

GliderJunkie, Shame to hear about your problems !! I have had dealings with Realflight support and can't say I have any complaints at all, I'm more than sure they will do their very best to help you !!
Old 06-13-2003, 06:02 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just got G2 last night. It took a total of 5 minutes to load and I was flying. No problems at all. Sorry to hear your experience.
Old 06-13-2003, 06:05 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got the mode I version. Apparently neither you or your computer fly mode I.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:24 PM
jchumley
My Feedback: (1)

G2 comes in a mode 1 and mode 2 version. Mode 1 has throttle on the right. Don't trash G2 for that, if anything trash the seller for not asking you what version you needed (or yourself for not doing the research). As for the cd, try it in another machine. It could be a bad CD, but...

I once bought a flight sim (not RC related) and my cd drive could not read it (though it could read all the other disks I had). I took it back to the store and they went around the room to three or four machines and it worked on all of them. I bought a new cd rom drive and had no more problems.

Once you get it to install, you may face other issues. I have heard that there are more compatibility issues with laptop video cards than with desktop models.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:04 PM
GliderJunkie

Default More G2 install problems....

Thanks for the replies.
I was able to copy the disk after having it read on another computer. My version is Mode 2 according to the box and if JWC is correct then my controller is Mode 1 in a Mode 2 package. After getting the new CD to install when starting the program I keep getting errors that ask for the CD which is in the drive. The program is stuck in a loop of errors. The two errors are KEerror 32494 and KEerror 32495. My controller USB light is blinking as per the instructions. I tried the installation fix program but this did not help either.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:20 PM
vanguard
My Feedback: (25)

That error means that you either havent loaded or activated the controller driver. Go to "control panel" and select the gaming device option. Make sure it says its using the realflight controller driver.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:06 AM
Fliptunes

Glider what OS are you using?
Old 06-15-2003, 09:30 AM
UnWired-RCU

Also, run the RealFlight control panel and download any updated versions. Depending on what OS/hardware you are running, this could make a difference for you.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:45 PM
flygirl1

32494 and 32495 can mean a couple of things...usually a corrupt install. Try uninstalling through your RealFlight Control Panel. then shutting down all applications especially anti-virus and system monitoring software then reinstall.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:21 PM
kegelt

Default ouch

sounds like you bought the wrong mode. Also the amount of graphics and stuff this program takes is quite high. Doubtful your laptop has the proper graphics card. Try to install on my dads desktop, and it would not work due to the graphics card.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:51 PM
flygirl1

To change the mode:
Mode 1 to Mode 2 InterLink Instructions
TOOLS NEEDED
Medium Phillips-head screwdriver
Hemostats (preferred), or needle nose pliers
Please read all instructions carefully before you begin this conversion. Great Planes will not accept responsibility for incidental damage to your InterLink controller or personal computer as a result of failure to adhering to these instructions properly. Please contact RealFlight Support prior to performing this conversion if you have any questions about this procedure.
1. Make sure your RealFlight InterLink Controller is completely disconnected from your computer. Failure to do so could result in permanent damage to your InterLink and/or your computer.
2. Remove the four screws from the rear of the controller, remove the case rear half, and lay the controller face-down on your workspace.
3. Remove the silver metal rachet lever and screw from the gimbal on the left-hand side. This is the throttle rachet. Physically relocate it to the gimbal on the right-hand side. Rotate the metal rachet 180 degrees, so the screw hole is now on the bottom right side of the gimbal, and the rachet end is now pointing upward nearest the switch on the top right side, and resting on the ribbed surface of the gimbal. Line up the lever's hole over the plastic mounting stud on the gimbal, insert the screw and tighten to a snug fit (making sure the lever maintains proper alignment over the ribbed area of the gimbal). DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN, as the plastic gimbal may become easily stripped.
4. On the right-hand gimbal, notice there is an arm-and-spring type lever mounted vertically along the inner-left side of the gimbal, the spring attached at the upper end to a plastic mounting stud. This arm and spring assembly must now be moved to the left-hand gimbal. Using pliers, gently pry the head of the spring upwards off of the plastic arm. Now remove the spring and arm from the gimbal (this may require slight maneuvering of the parts to get them out from behind the main body of the gimbal). NOTE: Pivot the arm outward, then slide to the side to remove it from the gimbal.
5. Looking at the left-hand gimbal from the back, on the inner-right side, notice similar arm and spring mounting lugs as were on the other gimbal, except the spring lug is now on the top end and the pivot arm lug is on the bottom end. Take the arm just removed from the other gimbal, insert the pivot end onto the round pivot lug on the lower inside part of this gimbal and rotate the arm upward over the gimbal. With pliers or hemostat, grab one end of the spring which was removed from the other gimbal. Insert the spring down into the gimbal so the loop on the opposite end hooks onto the plastic lug located on the inside top-end of the gimbal. Once hooked, gently pull the opposite end of the spring outward and loop it over the end of the plastic arm. If any question arises to the assembly of the arm and spring assembly, refer to the arm already in place on the bottom of the gimbal as they are assembled in the same manner.
6. Both gimbals are now in the Mode 2 configuration. No alteration of any wires is necessary. Reinstall the rear of the case onto the front half and re-install the four case screws.
7. Simply enter the RealFlight program and check the configuration of the software to operate in the Mode 2 setting. This is found in the Controller Calibration dialog in the Options menu. No change to the Stick Mapping should be necessary to Mode 2.

It's really easy!
Flygirl1
Old 06-20-2003, 05:12 AM
pirate one

If you are trying to install g2 from a copy you made then your copy is not good, it may install correctly but "Please insert cd in drive" is a common problem encountered when using copied disk G2 is NOT easy to copy (that is and make work). I have managed to copy g2 (for back up purposes only of course). If you email me I will tell you how I managed. You can also play without the cd in the cd drive.

Ps.

Real flight has an excellent tech support group

pirate
Old 06-22-2003, 09:58 PM
GliderJunkie

Default Re: WOW! Is Realflight G2 junk???*!%$!!!- No Really!!!!

Thanks for all the replies, I have been out of town. Realflight is sending me another disk. I tried reading the original disk on three different desk tops with no success. Thanks flygirl1 for the mode change info, I don't think it will be hard to change.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:45 AM
Wayne Miller

Default RE: Re: WOW! Is Realflight G2 junk???*!%$!!!- No Really!!!!

Hi,

I have a G2 and fly Mode 1. In order to convert the G2 "transmitter" from Mode 2 to Mode 1, I went to the Realflight site and they have the instructions there.

I also had problems loading the add on CD's with an older version of software. I downloaded the newer version and it seems to operate much better and loads the add on CD's with no problem.

Make sure your PC or Laptop has a good graphic and sound card, if not you may have problems running the program - check the G2 site for troubleshooting. The control panel for G2 has some diagnostics, you may want to run them to see if your system will handle G2.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Wayne Miller
Old 12-20-2003, 11:59 AM
pt19 flyer

Default RE: WOW! Is Realflight G2 junk???*!%$!!!

hi

have g2 with 3 add-ons. have tried to copy the main disk unsuccessfully. would like to make a copy for back-up purposes. would appreciate any info.

also on some of the airports the sky line does not meet the horizon, there is a colored area of various heights. can be white, tan, etc. tried a solution thru real flight with no success. do you have any indeas on this? it's ok but I just like to see the sky converge on the ground, looks more natural.

one other problem not solved by support I downloaded some planes from the website and have problems with some, wheels below runway, plane jumps up and down and quivers, it successful on take-off it will suddenly go crazy and crash...have you had any of these problems?

many thanks in advance
joe [email protected]
Old 12-20-2003, 08:08 PM
The_Matrix

New disk may not be the fix for you. Look at the system requirments for G2 software, what speed of cdrom is required? What speed cdrom do you have installed? If (FOR EXAMPLE) software says 4x CDROM required, and you have a slower speed cdrom, such as a 2X, then you will get the errors you described above.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:35 PM
buchtes
My Feedback: (7)

yes, I think your right. I bought the CD and cables from a friend and still cant play the sim without the controller. Worst $150 I have ever spend Or is this sim so far out of range in price that is is a ripoff? Looks like a typicall GP business tactic to sell a 25 Dollar product for 200 bucks.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:14 AM
SeenMCrash

ORIGINAL: buchtes

yes, I think your right. I bought the CD and cables from a friend and still cant play the sim without the controller. Worst $150 I have ever spend Or is this sim so far out of range in price that is is a ripoff? Looks like a typicall GP business tactic to sell a 25 Dollar product for 200 bucks.
Still can't play without the controller? That's the idea. Plus, it's an RC sim, would you like to fly planes with a joystick? You can't. This way people can't just copy the cd's and pass them out to friends.

As for the price, the program is well worth the $200, and with all the programming involved, $25/package would take a real long time to pay off Knife Edge Software for making it....

Next, I would start commenting on the Great Planes comment, but I'm tired and would not like my post to be deleted. (could the reason I'm grouchy be because I'm tired??)

Cheers, Andrew
Old 12-21-2003, 02:41 PM
cfossa
My Feedback: (5)

GliderJunkie,

You did not say anything about the type of computer and OS you are trying to install RealFlight on. Unless your notebook is less than 6 months or so old, it is very unlikely that it has a good enoug graphics card for G2. Plus, there are some CD rom drives that are known to have problems with the copy protection scheme used on the G2 disk. If you are having problems reading the disk but can read it on other computers, this is likely the problem. See the CDROM link on the left side of this page for more info:
http://www.knifeedge.com/mainframe.htm

Good luck getting it running. Justifying the cost of a simulation is different for each person. I learned to fly on G2, and then used it to transition from my trainer straight to a low wing acrobatic Extra 300S. RealFlight more than paid for itself as far as I'm concerned ... saved me at least $200 in avoided crashes.

Your mileage may vary :-)

Carl
Old 12-21-2003, 03:31 PM
onewasp

Send me a PM and let me know what you would take for it. Mode 1 etal.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:27 PM
radar757

Do you have info on running realflight without the cd, what is the secret?
Old 01-12-2004, 06:31 PM
BillK

The maker uses one of the awful copy protections that are not supported on all CDROM drives. Why companies use these bad sector type copy protections that make it a pain for the consumer I don't know. The pirates crack the protection immediately so why bother? I found on my computer my DVDROM will read the G2 disk but my DVD+RW drive (this computer is only 6 months old) won't.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:40 PM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

Please do not ask for information on how to copy the software. It is not legal. When you first use the software you made an agreement with GP not to.

As for a backup copy in case the CD is broken or scratched, GP has replaced damaged CD's in the past. Just call them up, send it in and get a new one. With this kind of service there is no reason to copy the CD.

RCU Policy:
PIRACY OR UNLAWFUL ACTIVITIES:
This community forum is a place for ideas and constructive participation, and not a place to violate any laws or to discuss illegal activities. This type of activity includes, but is not limited to, advocating or asking for information regarding software piracy or unauthorized emulators of software or hardware, sharing or distributing viruses, licenses, registration information, software keys, "cracks," or other information designed to do harm to or allow unlawful access to any computer hardware, software, networks, or any other systems. Please refrain from posting this kind of message.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:44 PM
RichLockyer

ORIGINAL: Elwood
As for a backup copy in case the CD is broken or scratched, GP has replaced damaged CD's in the past. Just call them up, send it in and get a new one. With this kind of service there is no reason to copy the CD.
And when the copy protection causes problems for a legitimate customer?
I had no trouble installing the program, and 4 of the 5 add-on disks.
Disk #4 caused problems... it kept getting halfway through and hanging, and it took for-ever for the autorun to open the disk.
I figured, no problem, I'll install it from the DVD drive.
No problem... installed without a hitch.

Until I tried to run the program. It asked me to insert the original disk in CD drive E, but drive E is the one that could not read the disk. I had to go through the XP control panel and reassign my CD drives just to get the thing to load.

Had a similar problem with my GPS software.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.