Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

flying in real flight and fms with only a rudder? aka trainer plane

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

flying in real flight and fms with only a rudder? aka trainer plane

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 03:17 PM
eccvets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flying in real flight and fms with only a rudder? aka trainer plane

Ihave both real flight and fms but am a bit confused on how their physics works with flying planes with only a rudder such as trainers. I have found it nearly impossible to control a plane in the flight simulator with using only the rudder and elevator such as on trainer planes like the wild hawk. does anyone know why i'm having this problem? I can easily control any of the planes with the use of ailerons+elevators though... Ithough trainers were suppose to be easier to fly?
Old 08-22-2009, 09:32 PM
ggunners

Default RE: flying in real flight and fms with only a rudder? aka trainer plane

ORIGINAL: eccvets

I have both real flight and fms but am a bit confused on how their physics works with flying planes with only a rudder such as trainers. I have found it nearly impossible to control a plane in the flight simulator with using only the rudder and elevator such as on trainer planes like the wild hawk. does anyone know why i'm having this problem? I can easily control any of the planes with the use of ailerons+elevators though... I though trainers were suppose to be easier to fly?
The WildHawk in FMS is a 3 channel airplane. With a mode 2 transmitter and 3 channels, most modelers put the primary turning control surface on the right stick. So they plug the rudder servo into the aileron channel on the receiver. Most of my FMS models map either rudder or aileron to the aileron channel to keep the primary turning control on the right stick whether R/E/T or A/E/T.

ggunners
Old 08-22-2009, 10:43 PM
eccvets

I was wondering where did youfind the model for the wild hawk for fms?

thanks

ORIGINAL: ggunners

ORIGINAL: eccvets

Ihave both real flight and fms but am a bit confused on how their physics works with flying planes with only a rudder such as trainers. I have found it nearly impossible to control a plane in the flight simulator with using only the rudder and elevator such as on trainer planes like the wild hawk. does anyone know why i'm having this problem? I can easily control any of the planes with the use of ailerons+elevators though... Ithough trainers were suppose to be easier to fly?
The WildHawk in FMS is a 3 channel airplane. With a mode 2 transmitter and 3 channels, most modelers put the primary turning control surface on the right stick. So they plug the rudder servo into the aileron channel on the receiver. Most of my FMS models map either rudder or aileron to the aileron channel to keep the primary turning control on the right stick whether R/E/T or A/E/T.

ggunners
Old 08-23-2009, 10:00 AM
ggunners

[link=http://gunnerson.homestead.com/files/wildhawk.zip]WildHawk for FMS[/link].

Old 08-23-2009, 03:01 PM
eccvets

thank you

ORIGINAL: ggunners

[link=http://gunnerson.homestead.com/files/wildhawk.zip]WildHawk for FMS[/link].

Old 08-24-2009, 04:36 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless the "real" model airplane was designed without ailerons as a rudder/elevator model, it's not going to fly like a R/E model, either in real life or on a sim.

Also, unless the sim model is of a rudder only design, it won't fly like a real life rudder only airplane.

Any Esquires, Tri-Squires, Mambos or such available for sims?
Old 08-24-2009, 08:52 AM
ggunners

Agreed that a sim or actual flyer must be A/E/T or R/E/T to fly as such.

However, if someone is new to RC flying, a R/E/T will respond very close to an A/E/T when first learning to fly especially with a 3 channel transmitter where the primary turning control surface is on the right stick. The R/E/T with larger dihedral will be more self righting than the A/E/T which will require close to 100% stick time and attention.

For those experienced with models, there is a pronounced difference in how the two airplane types turn.

In the sim and real life, R/E/T has more dihedral and leads with yaw first and bank second followed by elevator to turn. The A/E/T has much less dihedral and leads with bank first followed by elevator.

As a first time flyer, people are just trying to keep the airplane in the sky and keep it from crashing. The self-righting tendancy for high-wing R/E/T makes them a better trainer. Cubs are pretty good at this. So are SlowSticks and Slow-V as long as the wind is not strong.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:52 AM
opjose

There are several user created models of the WildHawk for G4.x.

These represent the Wildhawk at various stages of user modification from the "out of box" version to the clipped wing, aileron equipped speedster.

The "basic" version of the WildHawk behaves much like the real world model and only provides Throttle, Rudder, and Elevator controls.

However as with many user created planes, the creator did not have a good understanding of the physics editor.

Though he modeled the wings correctly, the real Wildhawk has both dihedral and upturned wing tips to stabilize the plane.

In G4, the author added the tips as simple wing extensions, which do not have the same self righting capacity of the real plane.

This can be adjusted however.

eccvets

Make sure you are using this particular model: [link=http://knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=8303]Click me[/link]

That model flies pretty well, but it is not quite as self righting as the real Wild Hawk.

Real 3 Channel planes like this, have a marked tendancy of nosing DOWN when you apply rudder.

You normally offset that by pulling up elevator at the same time.

You need to trim the plane out in G4 ( like the real thing! ) so that it flies level at 70-78% throttle, and climbs at throttle settings above this.

Once done use the throttle rudder and elevator to keep the plane somewhat level as you make turns.

You'll find that your real WildHawk will tend to right itself more quickly than the G4.x model, which will be unsettling at first when you fly the simulator. But if you get used to this, you'll have an easier time with your real plane.