Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Dave Brown RCFS 2001 vs RealFlight Basic simulator

I've been flying a Dave Brown Products RCFS 2001 sim. I'm at the point where I can fly and land all the orginal and add-on airplanes. I thought I was getting pretty proficient - like inverted passes six feet off the deck, etc.

In the latest issue of Backyard Flyer there was a review of the Great Planes RealFlight Basic sim priced at a hundred bucks. Reviewer said it was as close as one could get to REAL r/c flight. I kneed it down to the local Hobby Town USA and picked up a copy. RealFlight Basic works great. Easy to load and even simpler than RCFS 2001. Graphics are great. There are no aircraft parameter adjustments allowed.

However, I was surprised when I cranked up the first airplane. I found RealFlight Basic airplanes MUCH harder to fly than the RCFS 2001 airplanes. I'm back to flying the E trainer again, which I'm way past in RCFS 2001. RealFlight Basic is much much more sensitive in roll and pitch. I cannot reduce aileron and elevator throws, which BTW I never had to do in RCFS 2001.

Does RealFlight Basic more accurately replicate real r/c flying than RCFS 2001? Is RCFS 2001 just too easy to fly and not indicative of actual r/c flight? Since it's a training tool for me, I'd like your thoughts on which sim I should use to improve my at-the-field stick skills?
    Thanks and Happy Holidays,
    Tom Houle

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Dave Brown RCFS 2001 vs RealFlight Basic simulator

Forget about comparing.

Bottom line is that RealFlight does simulate very well. Heck, just about all the popular sims do pretty good job of simulating. The graphics are kewl, but what you're asking is if the sim plane flies like real models. Yes

Why did you see such a difference? Can't know for sure, but it could be as simple as the different models the two simulated. Honest, when you start flying real models, you'll see they have different roll rates, quicker or slower elevator response etc etc etc from one to the other.

When Real Flight first hit, it took some abuse about how easy the sim planes were to land. They weren't realistic. That's been fixed. Lots of experienced modelers tested most of the popular sims. They had a part in making most of them fly right. Their opinions testify today with their continued purchasing. Way more than just beginners are buying the expansion packs. The numbers wouldn't be there if the models didn't fly pretty close to realistic.
    Good flying wit ya today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Almost all the sims are closer to "real" than anything from 2001. Heck, even FMS is better than anything that was designed for a Pentium 266-400 Mhz.

"RCFS2001 Computer Requirements

Minimum – Pentium 266 MMX (or equivalent) • Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP or ME operating system • 16 MB RAM • 50 MB free hard disk space • 4MB 3D graphics accelerator (w/Direct-X support) • Gameport • 4X CD-ROM Drive

Recommended – Pentium 400 or higher (or equivalent) • Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP or ME operating system • 64 MB RAM • 50 MB free hard disk space • 16 MB graphics accelerator (w/Direct-X and 32-bit texture support) • Sound Card • Gameport • 4X CD-ROM Drive"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Unfortunately I don't have any first hand knowledge of RealFlight Basic. But, as da Rock has noted all RC Aircraft is going to fly slightly different. Two well built ARF's of the same model will not fly exactly the same. Making comparison difficult. The higher priced sims allow you to tweak the models so that the flying experience of the sim more closely resembles that of real life. RealFlight Basic unfortunately doesn't have this feature. So, with Basic you get what you get. Is the flying experience of Basic better then that of other sims, more realistic? That's something that only the individual user can decide. Personally, I've found that I've had to "tweak" virtually all of the models in RealFlight to obtain the flying dynamics of my real life models. Other modelers have said the same. The KnifeEdge website is full of AV's (aircraft variants) that were created by other users to more closely replicate the flying dynamics of thier particular model.

ORIGINAL: da Rock
    When Real Flight first hit, it took some abuse about how easy the sim planes were to land. They weren't realistic. That's been fixed. Lots of experienced modelers tested most of the popular sims. They had a part in making most of them fly right. Their opinions testify today with their continued purchasing. Way more than just beginners are buying the expansion packs. The numbers wouldn't be there if the models didn't fly pretty close to realistic.
    I disagree here with da Rock. Although the landing characteristics have been improved they still exibit some non-realistic tendancies. I agree that it's it not just beginners who buy the Expansion Packs (which by the way are not compatible with RealFlight Basic). After all they're designed for more advanced modelers, to add additional models to your hangar as you accumulate them. RealFlight, GreatPlanes, KnifeEdge Software and Hobbico are all privately held companies. They do not release sales figures. To indicate that continued purchases testify to the opinions of "experienced modelers" is an unsubstantiated and misleading statement since there is no way of knowing how well any one particular product is selling ... especially when it comes to any product from the Hobbico line of companies. Hobbico is very tight about any information it shares with the public.

Of course if da Rock has documented information indicating sales figures for RealFlight in comparison to other sims I would be very interested in seeing them.

John

Thanks, guys, for the inputs.

One thing is clear: the RealFlight Basic sim is harder to fly than the Dave Brown RCFS2001. With a couple of exceptions, the airplanes are faster (even at half throttle), more responsive in roll and pitch, way more stall prone, and harder to slow down oand land. That said, I'm going to stick with the RealFlight Basic as IMHO it's a better training tool.

Tom Houle

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Interesting note.

Dave Brown's original was made way long ago. There were versions that worked on Commodore 128s. I happen to still have both the simulator and the 128. It's really quite amazing how far they've come.
    Good flying wit ya today

I used an Old Davie Brown Simulator from 1993 with a 486SX 25MHz computer
    to learn to use a stick radio the simulator was very realistic and to be honest just as realistic as the
    new simulators 17years later (Phoenix FS One and Realflight)

Only difference are better Graphic

The only mistake I did was to learn with a mode 2 Radio ............ I'M Left handed(mode 1)