Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Real Flight: How to Create 3D Flying Site

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Real Flight: How to Create 3D Flying Site

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 09:39 AM
cpeisher
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real Flight: How to Create 3D Flying Site

I'm sure i'llget several responses to this that state that this topic has been covered alot on here, but for the life of me i think something has to be wrong with the search engine on RCU...

I currently run RF G3.5, and have the upgrade to G5 on the way from Tower Hobbies.

I'd like to be able to model my backyard, pond and surrounding objects (trees,fences, houses, roads etc.)in RF so i can get a good feel of what it will be like flying my Avistar 40 with floats from the pond in my backyard. Can someone please point me to any walkthroughs or guides on how to create custom 3D flying sites in Real Flight? I've searched RCU, and Knife Edge and can't seem to input the right search terms to get anything to show up. I get alot on creating Photofield Sites, but almost nothing when i try "create 3d flying field" or somethign similar.

Also, if i model the houses in their approximate locations, will RF introduce the wind turbulence that comes off these different objects into the main area of the pond/lake when i'm on approach and landing? I know i can add variance to wind direction, just wondering how the wind "particles" may interact with larger objects like trees and houses.

Thanks for your patience and assitance.

Chris
Old 04-10-2010, 08:17 PM
cpeisher
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Real Flight: How to Create 3D Flying Site

WOW!  No one can point me to a good tutorial or walk-through or some links on this?

Shameless bump 
Old 12-27-2010, 07:40 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello Chris...

I'm interested in this too. I have two fields that I'd like to do this to. I figure that this reply could bump it back to the top of the list and see if we get some response.

Bob
Old 12-27-2010, 09:04 AM
N1EDM

Here are a couple of sites that I have come across. They were on the RealFlight Forum site. There may be more....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_33...tm.htm#3381125

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373322

How to build a Panoramic Tripod Head for $10
http://www.worth1000.com/tutorials/161123/tutorial

Bob
Old 12-27-2010, 09:32 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: cpeisher

I'd like to be able to model my backyard, pond and surrounding objects (trees, fences, houses, roads etc.) in RF so i can get a good feel of what it will be like flying my Avistar 40 with floats from the pond in my backyard.
I hope you are talking about a BIG pond or a small lake.

The Avistar needs quite a bit of unobstructed space to fly.

Can someone please point me to any walkthroughs or guides on how to create custom 3D flying sites in Real Flight? I've searched RCU, and Knife Edge and can't seem to input the right search terms to get anything to show up. I get alot on creating Photofield Sites, but almost nothing when i try ''create 3d flying field'' or somethign similar.
There is a FAQ/HOWTO sticky on the knifeedge.com/forums site that deals with this specific question.

Your best bet is to take a panoramic photo to create a photofield and place 3D objects within the field as collision objects.

Ideally your yard is both fairly large ( several acres at LEAST ) and flat.

Also, if i model the houses in their approximate locations, will RF introduce the wind turbulence that comes off these different objects into the main area of the pond/lake when i'm on approach and landing?

I know i can add variance to wind direction, just wondering how the wind ''particles'' may interact with larger objects like trees and houses.
Unless you are flying in 20mph+ winds ( something most RC'ers never do in real life ) winds around a house do not come into play, nor should your plane be anywhere that close to a structure anyway.

In G5.5 terrain variations do affect winds, and you can insert wind/turbulence "generator" to fine tune specific areas.

However in the case of a pond surrounded by flat terrain, this is not needed nor desired.... although a generator may be placed in the center of the pond with a negative low value to mimic the lessened thermal lift of a pond.... but you would not notice this in real life anyway unless you are into gliders.

Don't overthink the sim, use it to practise under varying conditions, and learn how to fly WITHOUT knowing or seeing the orientation of your plane ( a very important skill! ).
That is FAR more important than what you are trying to do.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:17 PM
N1EDM

opjose, are these sites the same ones that I listed in Post #3? OR are there others that I missed in another section?

Bob
Old 12-27-2010, 01:24 PM
opjose

I thought I saw a comprehensive post / thread akin to this one: [link=http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24468&highlight=panoramic+images]Click me![/link]

In addition to the ones you posted.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3381125/tm.htm#3381125]Link[/link]
Old 12-27-2010, 04:34 PM
N1EDM

I had found the second one, but I had totally overlooked the first link that you gave me. I missed it entirely.

Thanks!!

Bob