Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

RF G5 - Aileron differential makes no difference

Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

RF G5 - Aileron differential makes no difference

Old 08-22-2010, 10:38 PM
lewdfinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RF G5 - Aileron differential makes no difference

Hello. I just picked up RealFlight G5 and soon got bored with hovering and harriers. Idownloaded some planes from KnifeEdge and was trying to fly some sequences, but could not do a roll that was straight enough to complete any manoeuvres. So, not being able to find an aileron differential setting in the airplane or the controller menu, Ihooked up my own transmitter, figured out how to put the ailerons on different channels, and dialed in some aileron diff. Actually LOTS of differential. Iwatched the plane as I did the adjustment on my radio, and it looked right. Full up aileron on one side and almost no down on the other side. Made no difference, other than slowing down the roll rate. Plane kept yawing to the outside during rolls.

Am I missing something?I'm not too familiar with RF yet - perhaps there is a setting in the airfoil section that will do the same thing. Sure would be nice to set up a plane that rolls straight like my Yak.

Thanks

KD
Old 08-22-2010, 11:02 PM
lewdfinger

Default RE: RF G5 - Aileron differential makes no difference

Okay I'm an idiot. I found the aileron settings in the edit plane menu (Airframe -> Main Wing -> Aileron). It might be a little more intuitive to say 'Up' and 'Down' instead of 'Deflection Maximum' and 'Deflection Minimum'.

It still seems to me that setting aileron differential for real on your radio should have the same effect. Oh well...
Old 08-24-2010, 12:35 PM
opjose

'Deflection Maximum' and 'Deflection Minimum', often DO NOT mean "UP" or "Down", or can be reversed... which is why UP and DOWN are not the terms used in the editor.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:53 PM
lewdfinger

ORIGINAL: opjose

'Deflection Maximum' and 'Deflection Minimum', often DO NOT mean "UP" or "Down", or can be reversed... which is why UP and DOWN are not the terms used in the editor.
Agreed. Also might account for why adjusting them makes no difference to adverse yaw. Istill haven't been able to make any of these models roll straight. What else am I missing?

KD
Old 08-25-2010, 12:43 PM
opjose

Rolling straight is affected by many other things as well...

C.G., tail moment and tail effectiveness, wing position, fuselage "wing" cross section ( something many people playing with the editor do NOT realize ) and of big importance... height of motor ( thrust ) centerline above fuselage centerline.

The closer the motor is to the fuse/wing/tailplane centerline, the more likely you are of getting rolls in plane.

C.G. of course must be adjusted back and as neutral as possible.

I always start by setting wing incidence to no more than 1 degree, or tail incidence to no more than -1 degree or so, then I keep moving the C.G. back until the plane practically flies by itself upside down and upright, and has almost no tendancy to nose down at 80% throttle or more.

You'll find that the C.G. position required in the sim will inevitably be FURTHER BACK than the real world model by a factor, so the sim is a bit off by a corectable amount in this respect.

Once the plane is neutral upside down, then do a power off straight down dive to assure that the model does not pull to the belly or the canopy.

If you get this far, then worry about motor height, and the other factors, though by this point most planes will roll pretty smoothly.