RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Flight Simulator Software (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-flight-simulator-software-138/)
-   -   Real flight 6.5 improved physics for 3D? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-flight-simulator-software-138/11281074-real-flight-6-5-improved-physics-3d.html)

Ernie Misner 10-30-2012 09:41 AM

Real flight 6.5 improved physics for 3D?

Anyone upgraded to 6.5 yet? Are the physics really improved for 3D? Is the upgrade from 6.0 worth it for $50?

Thanks loads,

Ernie Misner

blw 11-01-2012 07:23 AM

RE: Real flight 6.5 improved physics for 3D?

Hey Ernie,

I asked Tower Hobby about the upgrade costs as I'm upgrading from 5.5 to 6.5. I'm paying $49.99 for 6.0 and downloading 6.5 for free once available. The 6.5 bump does seem to be a big improvement. I'm happy paying for the easier physics and graphics settings method.

Ernie Misner 11-01-2012 08:45 AM

Good, that's what I was hoping to hear that the physics really are upgraded. I already have 6.0. On their website it says there will be un upgrade for me, for $49 when available. So that's funny that when you get 6.0, your upgrade to 6.5 will be free. ..?

Thanks for the info! Hopefully they'll have the upgrade real soon. The full package is available now I think. They must like us as customers.....:)

Ernie Misner

Ryan Douglas 11-01-2012 11:14 AM

RealFlight 6.5 is available now as a free online update for 6.0 owners! Obtain it through your RealFlight Launcher.

The boxed 6.5 upgrade that you're talking about for about $50 is a separate product available to RealFlight G3/G4/G5 owners that will allow them to upgrade to RealFlight 6.5 for a much lower cost. If you already have RF6, you do not need to buy that!

Note that if you have not kept up to date with the RF6 online updates, you will also get a lot of other new features and content that was released for free prior to 6.5.

opjose 11-01-2012 12:50 PM

Go Ryan!!! :D

Thanks.

Ernie Misner 11-01-2012 05:17 PM

Thanks for the head's up. That's a relief; I just spent to upgrade to 6.0. Guess I was reading the advertisement wrong. Will upgrade for free soon!!!!!

blw 11-01-2012 06:22 PM

I called Tower yesterday to verify the 6.0 to 6.5 free upgrade after seeing this thread. They put me on hold and called KnifeEdge. Guess they didn't know either.

opjose 11-01-2012 08:12 PM

Yup you can grab the update via the launcher automatically.

blw 11-05-2012 06:43 PM

Yep, it's a big improvement over 5.5. The graphics are much better, imo. No problems running with Bootcamp on a 2 gHz iMac. The 6.5 user models are the biggest upgrade to me.

Ernie Misner 11-05-2012 08:39 PM

The physics do seem a little smoother than 6.0 and that was indeed a free upgrade. We're going in the right direction at least!

Ernie Misner 12-08-2012 10:07 PM

Anyone else noticed that 6.5 is indeed more life-like in the physics department?

Chucksolo69 12-11-2012 07:53 AM

True. I just upgraded mine to 6.5 as a free download. Some very good improvements to the sim.

opjose 12-11-2012 09:10 AM

If you go to the Knife Edge Real Flight forum, in the stickie at the top, is the code for the current beta.

The beta's are always quite stable, and add new features, including new planes and helis.

After a few weeks of the code coming out, the beta passes to everyone automatically via the on-line updates, if no major problems are reported by end users.

johndou 01-16-2013 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Ryan Douglas

RealFlight 6.5 is available now as a free online update for 6.0 owners! Obtain it through your RealFlight Launcher.

The boxed 6.5 upgrade that you're talking about for about $50 is a separate product available to RealFlight G3/G4/G5 owners that will allow them to upgrade to RealFlight 6.5 for a much lower cost. If you already have RF6, you do not need to buy that!

Note that if you have not kept up to date with the RF6 online updates, you will also get a lot of other new features and content that was released for free prior to 6.5.

Ryan; You mention an upgrade for RealFlight G3/G4/G5 to RealFlight 6.5 ... I can only find an upgrade to 6.5 for G4 and above. Where/how do I get an upgrade for G3 to RealFlight 6.5?

Ernie Misner 01-16-2013 05:44 PM

I don't think you can get an upgrade for G2 or G3. They are totally different, so you will have to purchase G6.5.

johndou 01-17-2013 10:19 AM

Ernie, I agree with you as far as an upgrade for G2. But, Ryan Douglas, software developer for KnifeEdge Software, stated that for $50 there was an upgrade available for G3/G4/G5 owners ... if anyone should know their product line it would be the guy who develops it. I've only been able to find this $50 upgrade for owners of G4 and above. So, is Ryan misinformed or is the ad for RealFlight 6.5 wrong? That's all I was aking.

Ernie Misner 01-17-2013 10:35 AM

Hi John, on the Tower web site here, the upgrade is only available for G4 and above. I'm not sure but it appears that it was a typo when he said G3 could be upgraded. If I remember right they completely overhauled the software between G3 and G4. For those same reasons the very old versions do not need t be un-registered if you want to give them to a friend.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...rade&search=Go

opjose 01-17-2013 12:54 PM

ORIGINAL: johndou

Ernie, I agree with you as far as an upgrade for G2. But, Ryan Douglas, software developer for KnifeEdge Software, stated that for $50 there was an upgrade available for G3/G4/G5 owners ... if anyone should know their product line it would be the guy who develops it. I've only been able to find this $50 upgrade for owners of G4 and above. So, is Ryan misinformed or is the ad for RealFlight 6.5 wrong? That's all I was aking.
Ryan has it correct.

Your G3.x Interlink WILL work just fine with G6.x, you merely will not have the two additional buttons.

Ryan also confirmed this seperately...

I'm using my old G3 controller to run a second copy of G6 for my family room.

ORIGINAL: Ryan Douglas

"It's not for sale on our site, but you can find more info on the official RealFlight website. Click here! If you can't find the upgrade at your local hobby shop, it is available online at sites like Tower Hobbies.

A couple things worth noting:

As jeffpn said, the RF6 upgrade will work with your G3 InterLink, despite what the page above says. (The InterLink Elite is a superior controller to the InterLink Plus that shipped with G3, however, so you might consider just getting the full version of RF6. But that is not required.)

If all you can find is an upgrade to 6.0, don't worry. You can install that, then update online to 6.5 for free!
So just purchase the $50.00 upgrade and install away.

It will ask for the Interlink Serial number, so be sure you can read it on your controller or get it from a G3 diagnostic dump.

Ernie Misner 01-17-2013 09:24 PM

Thanks opjose. So if you have G3, you just purchase the G4 upgrade, and then give them the G3 serial numbers, and it installs fine?

opjose 01-18-2013 10:57 AM

To clarify:

The G4/G5 to G6 upgrade is really a G3/G4/G5 upgrade.

All three of those versions can be upgraded to G6.x via the upgrade offer.

The older G3 Interlink works just fine with G6 and the upgrade.

Ernie Misner 01-18-2013 08:22 PM

Yep, you are so right. It's funny they don't mention that in the ads because they could sell a lot more upgrades that way. If anyone ever has Realflight questions they can write to [email protected]

I wrote asking about this upgrade and here's what they said:

>>> Hello,

You can upgrade from G3 to RealFlight 6.5 by purchasing the RealFlight 6.5 upgrade disc (GPMZ4488). This is a full version of 6.5 that works with your G3 controller.

For prices and availability of RealFlight 6.5 upgrade disc (GPMZ4488) or any of our other software titles, please try contacting a Great Planes dealer near you or on the Internet. We are sorry, but we do not have any sales information here at Technical Support