RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Flight Simulator Software (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-flight-simulator-software-138/)
-   -   reflex xtr and windows vista (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-flight-simulator-software-138/5373139-reflex-xtr-windows-vista.html)

rich2911 02-05-2007 07:02 AM

reflex xtr and windows vista

I have just installed Reflex XTR on to my new laptop which has Windows Vista. The installation appears to go fine.

However, when openning XTR, there is an error message stating that a dll is missing.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how do you fix it?

nose-over 02-05-2007 12:57 PM

RE: reflex xtr and windows vista

check the runryder forums. www.runryder.com I believe they've talked up this problem and heve a solution. It has somethig to do with installing it on an xp machine first and transfering it to the vista machine. or something like that. I believe they will also have an updated version of Reflex that installs onto vista.

CanCanCase 02-05-2007 05:48 PM

Stick with XP until they port the sim to the new OS.

When I installed MacOS X on my computer, Reflex wouldn't run.
When I installed Red Hat Linux on my computer, Reflex wouldn't run.
When I installed MS-DOS 3.1 on my computer, Reflex wouldn't run.
When I installed Vista on my computer, Reflex wouldn't run.

This is a totally new operating system, with a significant number of differences from other OSes (including XP)... The effort to "port" Reflex (or any sim) to an entirely different OS is a major effort.

The way MS is shoving Vista down all of our throats, however, they'll certainly keep a good portion of their market share, so I imagine all of the sim makers will want to port their software as soon as they can... In the meantime, we've all got a fully workable setup anyway.

(Maybe Reflex "Step 3" will be the Vista upgrade since it appears any of us using "Reflex Classic" are getting screwed by the new upgrade path. I'm just speculating here... maybe the Slimstick USB interface and the iVOL will come with Vista drivers?)

-Case

Cryhavoc 02-15-2007 10:48 AM

First of all, the system requirements for Reflex XTR are:

Pentium 4 1200MHz or similar AMD with 256 MB RAM
AGP 2X hardware accelerated video card with at least 32 MB of video RAM
1 GB free hard disk space
CD-ROM or DVD drive
USB-Port 1.1 or 2.0
This simulator is suitable for Windows 98, SE, ME, 2000 and XP.
It will not work with Windows 95, NT, Linux, Unix, Mac and game consoles.
Reflex XTR supports the following radios with new ones to be added on a regular basis: Futaba (square connector); Futaba (round connector); Fubata (Hitec connector); JR
Recommended Video Card: f.e. GeForce FX5900 Ultra 128MB, Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB or a later model, 8.1 or later version driver required

They specifically state that they do not support 3 of the operating systems you listed, (I still don't get the MS-DOS 3.1 Reference, why try? Also, why try to install on OS's that are specifically not supported?)

Now, as for Vista. I've been watching this issue and did not own a copy of Reflex XTR and was curious so I purchased one and I have a Windows Vista machine that meets/surpasses the hardware requirements listed for Reflex XTR. I found that it's the installer that will need to be rewritten to address installation issues in Windows Vista. I also determined that Reflex does not utilize the system registry so it can essentially be "copied" from one machine to the other, it relying upon the USB key for authentication.

I loaded Reflex onto an XP machine that my children use along with all the updates and patches. I then burned a cd of the Reflex, (c:\program files\reflex) directory and copied it into the appropriate directory, (c:\program files\) on the Vista machine.

Next you'll need to right click on the Reflex directory and change the permissions by adding yourself to the list of users. This is very easy to do and self explanitory.

Now all that's left is to insert your usb key and if asked for the driver just use your CD. You will want to drag a copy of the reflex.exe to your desktop for a shortcut for launching.

This is a very simple workaround for anyone wanting to use Vista without losing their simulator and we all know someone with XP and a CD burner.

I own G2, G3, AFPDPro and now Reflex and all work fine without having to adjust the compatibality properties of the programs.

I've been running it and it preforms excellent IMO. I've added several aircraft to it and had no issues either. Now just have to get used to Reflex as it's alot different from my others. Graphics are outstanding.

Enjoy!

nose-over 02-15-2007 02:09 PM

nicely explained cryhavoc! :)

Flyer Freq 02-23-2008 11:25 PM

I know that others have had this problem, but I have not found a direct solution. I have followed the above instructions to the best of my ability. I say to the best of my ability, since some of the instructions are a little unclear to someone with little Vista exposure. I am trying to get Reflex working for a friend that is using Vista. In this instance, the message keeps looking for a .mod file. It is my understanding that this is just the video files that I see. Once upon a time, Reflex had them listed as .mod files, but that no longer seems to be the case, even on my XP machine. Can someone tell me what to do, since the above instructions are not working on this one?

When is Reflex going to get on the ball with the upgrade? It is my understanding that they promised a fix, all the way back in October of 2006.

Thanks!!!

Andy

dtm360 03-01-2008 12:30 AM

Had no pros moving a copy of Reflex from an XP m/c to a Vista m/c. Just copy the whole program directory from an XP m/c and Paste into a Vista m/c. Go into the Vista reflex directory to find the program file, make a shortcut and drag it onto the desktop. Works fine on my laptop.

I have even tried directly running reflex from a USB memory. Again it works fine, although the loading times are signifcantly slower.