RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Flight Simulator Software (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-flight-simulator-software-138/)
-   -   Free stuff for Real Flight G4 (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-flight-simulator-software-138/7704284-free-stuff-real-flight-g4.html)

cappaj1 07-07-2008 05:31 PM

Free stuff for Real Flight G4

Where are there free planes and airports available for Real Flights G4? I was told there are a ton of sites that have them when I bought G4 but searching google and through these threads I can't seem to find anything. Any links would be appreciated. Thank you.

johndou 07-07-2008 07:23 PM

RE: Free stuff for Real Flight G4

You're kidding right!!??

there was a thread started a few days back with answers to the same question

But, one of the things that it didn't mention is that all of these "free" things are user created so some of it is real crap - some of it will mess-up your system too. So, be careful were you download it from and be ready to get rid of it when you find out some 10 year old kid created it and it doesn't work ... or worse!

flyX 07-07-2008 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Most of models are on the swap page.
Yeah..sure 10 year old kids create models from 3D model software.

Gimp reads .TGA files (color sceheme)...GIMP is a Free Art software.

There's 3DS to KEX avaliable for download on kniftedge. Realfight use KEX files.
3DS is a 3D software.

There's also Blender to KEX scripts. There's a link to that subject on kinfedge's forum.
BLENBDER is a FREE 3D software.

You can use the G3 models and sceneries in the G4..it depends what addons and expansion packs you have for some on the objects
or components of a model to render. If you don't..it'll just say it dosen't exsist and will set to defualt.
On some sceneries..depending what buffer from what add on or expansion pack were used, the software will tell you what you don't have.lol

You can even use G4 sceneries in the G3...at least I can.:)

You can also use photolistic sceneries from other Sims, such as Reflex, Aerofly, Heli-x..ect.
Notice on the importer it also say... G3X, Raw pano images..or Kex (model files)

The panorama needs to be EQUIRECTANGULAR (360x180)
You can get free models and sceneries for veriouse sim from RC-SIM.
Do a little bit of research on equirectanguar...Flickr.com has pano up the wazoo.

Google Reflex or aerofly scneries...seach in image mode...and you'll get links to sites or threads with links
to more sites.:)

To convert Reflex's or Aerofly's sceneries, you simply add back the bottom portion of the pano that's been cropped.
Notice on some sceneries there's a circle with the RF logo underneath the pilot's posistion...that's the part that's been cropped or missing.

They're usually at 8160x3160. It needs to be 2 to 1 ratio . 8160x4080, 8192x 4096 or 5000x2500.
Then import it into G3 or G4...Via Raw panorama.
Realflight converts it into a skybox.
Then create buffer zones in the sceneries edit options.

Here's some thumb nails of some of my sceneries from verious sims, or sites, I downloaded thousands.
Notice how some of the pano has white on the bottom. It's from adding 1000 pixels back to the pano to retain 2 to 1 ratio.
The horizon must be at the center of the pano (equator)..some screen shots are scenes from other sims.

If you want to create your own pano...reserch on equirectangular. Some people on Flickr even have links and articles
on how to create a 360x180. Hugins is also a FREE photo stitching software that will create an equirectangular.

VictoryRoll 07-08-2008 01:33 AM

Tell me, cappaj1, isn't awesome having people like flyX available and willing to offer wonderful, valuable, honest and courteous information like he posted in response to your question?

Hats off to flyX, it is appreciated by all, believe me... and not just your information, but your help and attitude and willingness to help others... kind of reminds me of home.

Thank you for being such a great person.

- Don

cappaj1 07-08-2008 07:19 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: fishingships

Tell me, cappaj1, isn't awesome having people like flyX available and willing to offer wonderful, valuable, honest and courteous information like he posted in response to your question?

Hats off to flyX, it is appreciated by all, believe me... and not just your information, but your help and attitude and willingness to help others... kind of reminds me of home.

Thank you for being such a great person.

- Don
Yes, it's awesome. Thanks to flyX and everyone else for the info.

johndou 07-08-2008 09:31 AM

Okay, maybe I was a bit blunt and harsh ... I appologize for that. You asked where to get these free downloads - might I suggest that you look at the thread titled "More G4 download sites anyone?"

Quote:

ORIGINAL: flyX

Most of models are on the swap page.
Yeah..sure 10 year old kids create models from 3D model software.

Gimp reads .TGA files (color sceheme)...GIMP is a Free Art software.
Just to clarify; Gimp is a free program that is used like "PhotoShop" to create and alter Color Schemes (CS) in RealFlight. Color Schemes are what "paints" the airplane or Heli. So by using Gimp you can color or paint the models inside RealFlight to match your own or anyone else's plane or heli or to just create your own unique color scheme inside of RealFlight.

As for flyX's comment about kids creating 3D models using 3D software - all I can say is that one look through the planes, heli's, flying robot-type "Transformer", cars and the like at the KnifeEdge Swap Pages (downloads) for G3/3.5 and you'll see a few creations that make you wonder about the maturity level of the creator.

There are also a lot of AV's on the KnifeEdge site. AV's are Aircraft Variants. A variant is something that was created by modifying the existing 3D model. The model itself will look the same but the physics have been changed. In some cases you'll have a P-51 with a Turbine engine - or the model was originally released to be "glow" powered and is now electric... or the control surfaces were enlarged for 3D flight, flaps were added - your imagination is the only limit it seems.

Some of these were truly done by ten year olds. One big caution here. If you don't have the original plane (it could have come from an Expansion Pack) ... do NOT download the AV. Everytime you open RealFlight you'll get an error message if you've downloaded a variant were you don't have the original - you'll have to go into the program itself to delete that variant before the error message will go away.

Quote:

ORIGINAL: flyX

There's 3DS to KEX avaliable for download on kniftedge. Realfight use KEX files.
3DS is a 3D software.

There's also Blender to KEX scripts. There's a link to that subject on kinfedge's forum.
BLENBDER is a FREE 3D software.

You can use the G3 models and sceneries in the G4..it depends what addons and expansion packs you have for some on the objects
or components of a model to render. If you don't..it'll just say it dosen't exsist and will set to defualt.
On some sceneries..depending what buffer from what add on or expansion pack were used, the software will tell you what you don't have.lol

You can even use G4 sceneries in the G3...at least I can.:)

You can also use photolistic sceneries from other Sims, such as Reflex, Aerofly, Heli-x..ect.
Notice on the importer it also say... G3X, Raw pano images..or Kex (model files)

The panorama needs to be EQUIRECTANGULAR (360x180)
You can get free models and sceneries for veriouse sim from RC-SIM.
Do a little bit of research on equirectanguar...Flickr.com has pano up the wazoo.

Google Reflex or aerofly scneries...seach in image mode...and you'll get links to sites or threads with links
to more sites.:)

To convert Reflex's or Aerofly's sceneries, you simply add back the bottom portion of the pano that's been cropped.
Notice on some sceneries there's a circle with the RF logo underneath the pilot's posistion...that's the part that's been cropped or missing.

They're usually at 8160x3160. It needs to be 2 to 1 ratio . 8160x4080, 8192x 4096 or 5000x2500.
Then import it into G3 or G4...Via Raw panorama.
Realflight converts it into a skybox.
Then create buffer zones in the sceneries edit options.

Here's some thumb nails of some of my sceneries from verious sims, or sites, I downloaded thousands.
Notice how some of the pano has white on the bottom. It's from adding 1000 pixels back to the pano to retain 2 to 1 ratio.
The horizon must be at the center of the pano (equator)..some screen shots are scenes from other sims.

If you want to create your own pano...reserch on equirectangular. Some people on Flickr even have links and articles
on how to create a 360x180. Hugins is also a FREE photo stitching software that will create an equirectangular.

Umm, sure pano's are great. But, unless someone has actually done some work and created collision buffers it's like flying on top of a photograph - and there are tons of photographs out there - and even a "few" on the KnifeEdge Swap pages. Without the collision buffers you'll never hit those trees on your left or that house across the road. You can fly and fly and fly and all that will happen is that the plane will get smaller ... not exactly realistic - or fun.