RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Flight Simulator Software (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-flight-simulator-software-138/)
-   -   Free sim R/C Desk Pilot (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-flight-simulator-software-138/9403685-free-sim-r-c-desk-pilot.html)

rcdeskpilot 04-03-2010 02:33 AM

RE: Free sim R/C Desk Pilot

ORIGINAL: Campy

I D/L your program and installed it on 64 bit Windows 7. It works GREAT !!! You have done a fantastic job of programming with this.

I am using a RealFlight G2 controller hooked up to a serial to USB converter. Once I configured the controller in Windows I was able to set it up in the program.

A couple things I did notice:

1. The throttle and rudder will only work on channel 6 & 7. The program will not allow me to change it to channel 3 & 4.
Right now this is OK, however, this may be a problem when you launch your ''new'' model with retracts [and I presume] flaps.

2. A windsock near the runway would be a big help in setting up the direction and force of the wind in the weather section.

I am not ''picking'' - you did ask for feedback.
Hi Campy,
thank you very much for your feedback, it's the only way I can find out about problems and fix them.
Could you give some more information about the first? It sounds like a major flaw, but I'm not quite sure what is happening. Do you mean that some channels of the RealFlight Controller are not moving any sliders on the right hand side of the Controls menu in the sim? Or does setting the controls to these channels in the dropdown boxes have no effect?
http://rcdeskpilot.com/sites/rcdeskp...g/controls.jpg

About the windsock: I am working on that, but I still need to figure out the code to animate it nicely. For now: the windmills in the background do move with wind speed and direction, and the wind sound is also a realtime indication of wind speed.

Thanks again!
Davy

Lnewqban 04-03-2010 12:50 PM

ORIGINAL: rcdeskpilot

ORIGINAL: LNEWQBAN

Thank you, Davy; yours is awesome work.

I downloaded it today, and enjoyed it much.
However; I had to use the keys, which were way too sensitive for the Extra, especially the elevator key.
For some reason, my Futaba Tx did not work with the same cable it works with for FMS.
Any suggestions?

Again, thanks!
Hi,
does your controller appear in the game controller list in the Windows Control Panel (the exact location depends on your Windows version)? The sim works with joystick compatible controllers/cables. If it does, try calibrating it in the Control Panel. If not, you are probably using a serial or audio cable. In that case you'll need to install and config PICjoy (serial cable) or SmartPropoPlus (audio cable) and PPJoy. A nice explanation of these can be found [link=http://sim.tomsrc.com/page.php?17]here[/link]. These will emulate a joystick in Windows. Most USB cables will be recognized as joysticks from the start so should work after calibrating in Windows and configuring the controls in the sim.
Hope this helps,
Davy
Thanks, Davy.
With your help, I made it work.

I have a serial cable and used PICjoy.
However, I still have one problem: the range of movement for each channel is around 70% only, and it oscillates around a central position.

I can live with that; however, the throttle can not go low enough for proper landing, even with the trim all the way down.
Any solution?

rcdeskpilot 04-03-2010 01:35 PM

ORIGINAL: LNEWQBAN
Thanks, Davy.
With your help, I made it work.

I have a serial cable and used PICjoy.
However, I still have one problem: the range of movement for each channel is around 70% only, and it oscillates around a central position.

I can live with that; however, the throttle can not go low enough for proper landing, even with the trim all the way down.
Any solution?
That's good news. The 70% range of movement can probably be solved by calibrating your (virtual) joystick using the Windows Control Panel. Depending on your windows version this is in the section "Game Controllers" or "Devices and printers". Look for the "Calibrate" button and follow the instructions.
Cheers,
Davy

DeferredDefect 04-03-2010 07:53 PM

Hello again!

I wasn't able to view the video on the editor (slow internet), but I read your blog post on the model editor - it sounds great!
I think having the capability of 5th and 6th flap and retract channels is a major advancement over other freeware sims!

One thing I would like to see in a future version would be a systems failure option. I know that deadstick landings are one of the things I always practise on the sim, but cutting the throttle isn't the same as unexpectedly losing the engine at a bad time.

Thank you,

Graeme

Campy 04-03-2010 08:58 PM

ORIGINAL: rcdeskpilot

I D/L your program and installed it on 64 bit Windows 7. It works GREAT !!! You have done a fantastic job of programming with this.

I am using a RealFlight G2 controller hooked up to a serial to USB converter. Once I configured the controller in Windows I was able to set it up in the program.

A couple things I did notice:

1. The throttle and rudder will only work on channel 6 & 7. The program will not allow me to change it to channel 3 & 4.
Right now this is OK, however, this may be a problem when you launch your ''new'' model with retracts [and I presume] flaps.

2. A windsock near the runway would be a big help in setting up the direction and force of the wind in the weather section.

I am not ''picking'' - you did ask for feedback.
Hi Campy,
thank you very much for your feedback, it's the only way I can find out about problems and fix them.
Could you give some more information about the first? It sounds like a major flaw, but I'm not quite sure what is happening. Do you mean that some channels of the RealFlight Controller are not moving any sliders on the right hand side of the Controls menu in the sim? Or does setting the controls to these channels in the dropdown boxes have no effect?
http://rcdeskpilot.com/sites/rcdeskp...g/controls.jpg

About the windsock: I am working on that, but I still need to figure out the code to animate it nicely. For now: the windmills in the background do move with wind speed and direction, and the wind sound is also a realtime indication of wind speed.

Thanks again!
Davy

Hi Davy,

On the left side of the menu you designate which channels you want to use for each control (normal channel assignments are: channel 1 to ailerons, channel 2 to elevator, channel 3 to throttle, channel 4 to rudder, channel 5 to retracts and channel 6 to flaps) Once you have assigned the channel, the sliders on the right side of the menu for that channel move when you move the controls except for the throttle and rudder. The throttle and the rudder will only accept channels 6 & 7. Any other channel you assign to the throttle and/or rudder will not work on the aircraft, however the sliders for channel 6 & 7 move in the menu no matter which channel you have selected for the throttle and rudder

As I said, this is no problem right now (I just assigned channel 6 & 7 to the throttle and rudder), but, as I said above, retracts are normally channel 5 and flaps are normally channel 6 (channels 7 and higher are typically for "optional" items such as a bomb/candy drop, etc). Channel 6 (flaps) is typically either an on/off switch or a rotary switch to allow partial deployment of the flaps. The majority of the joystick controllers are going to have an on/off switch (no flaps or fully deployed flaps).

I hope I explained this clearly. I don't know if this is unique to the G2 RealFlight controller or if it is also happening with other types of controllers.

RCAlan 04-03-2010 09:15 PM

The RC Deskpilot downloaded fine but won't start up. I have played all day with netFrame and Direct X files to no avail.

The error message says "Failed creating the Direct 3D device"

Has anybody else had this problem, and how is it solved?

Thanksa million for any help.?</p>

rcdeskpilot 04-04-2010 02:25 PM

ORIGINAL: GraemeEllis
One thing I would like to see in a future version would be a systems failure option. I know that deadstick landings are one of the things I always practise on the sim, but cutting the throttle isn't the same as unexpectedly losing the engine at a bad time.

Thank you,

Graeme
Hi Graeme, thanks for the suggestion, I've put i on my long wish list.

On the left side of the menu you designate which channels you want to use for each control (normal channel assignments are: channel 1 to ailerons, channel 2 to elevator, channel 3 to throttle, channel 4 to rudder, channel 5 to retracts and channel 6 to flaps) Once you have assigned the channel, the sliders on the right side of the menu for that channel move when you move the controls except for the throttle and rudder. The throttle and the rudder will only accept channels 6 & 7. Any other channel you assign to the throttle and/or rudder will not work on the aircraft, however the sliders for channel 6 & 7 move in the menu no matter which channel you have selected for the throttle and rudder
I'm afraid I haven't made the Controls menu very clear: the sliders on the right are for reference. As there is no standard in axis/channel assignment in game controllers, you swivel your sticks and you see on the sliders which 'channel' moves with which stick. Next you assign that 'channel' to the control you want using the dropdown boxes. I can't use the standard channel assignments from R/C controllers as the USB cable switches them around unpredictably. Actually in software, they are called Joystick axis and not channels, so maybe I should change their name in the Controls window as well. So any channel from your controller could be on any of the eight axis available. As long as every stick movement is mapped to an axis, it's just a simple configuration for the user. Of course the folks from RealFlight can skip this as they know that everybody is using the same controller.

ORIGINAL: RCAlan
The RC Deskpilot downloaded fine but won't start up. I have played all day with netFrame and Direct X files to no avail.

The error message says "Failed creating the Direct 3D device"

Has anybody else had this problem, and how is it solved?

Thanks a million for any help.?
Hi Alan, I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. Could you post your system specs, in particular your graphics card? It could be that your system isn't fully DirectX 9 compatible.

Cheers,
Davy

jmdlcar 04-04-2010 02:50 PM

My controller is made by Dynam 6 channels. How can I make all control go to 0%-100% right now I think it about 20%-80%. Where your said ART mine said PPM.

rcdeskpilot 04-04-2010 02:53 PM

ORIGINAL: jmdlcar

My controller is made by Dynam 6 channels. How can I make all control go to 0%-100% right now I think it about 20%-80%. Where your said ART mine said PPM.
You'll need to calibrate it using the Windows Control Panel. Depending on your Windows version this is under Windows > Control Panel > Game Controllers or Windows > Devices and Printers > right click on yout controller. Look for the calibrate button.
Hope this helps,
Davy

jmdlcar 04-04-2010 03:15 PM

Thanks that fix it. You have a great Simulator. Do you have anything new comming if so when?

rcdeskpilot 04-04-2010 03:17 PM

Thanks that fix it. You have a great Simulator. Do you have anything new comming if so when?
Thanks, as mentioned and demonstrated a few messages above: an aircraft editor to create (and distribute) your own aircraft with flaps and retracts. When is hard to predict, I hope within a matter of weeks in beta, and probably somewhere next month out of beta.
Davy

jmdlcar 04-04-2010 03:29 PM

I'll be glad to test anything you have.

rcdeskpilot 04-04-2010 03:36 PM

I'll be glad to test anything you have.
The more testers, the better :). The beta will be open and public and on a volunteer basis. I'll post an announcement here when it's live.
Cheers,
Davy

RCAlan 04-04-2010 04:05 PM

Thanks for your reply-

I am using windows XP on a desk top purchased in 2003. All update have been downloaded so the system is current.

My Video is NVIDIA GEForce 2MX

By typing "dxdiag" at the Start/Run/dialoge box a window pops up.
On the "Display" Tab there is a button to test Direct 3D - and the test image seems to work fine.

Thanks

Alan
PS. After encountering other errors I did a systemrestore to an earlier point and down loaded RCDesk Pilot program again.
Now when I click the icon on the desk top to run ther program- I only get a pop up with "RCSim needs to close..."

rcdeskpilot 04-05-2010 03:04 AM

My Video is NVIDIA GEForce 2MX
Hi Alan, I'm afraid this card isn't up to requirements for the sim. I'm working on a way to make the sim playable on these older systems (albeit at lower graphical detail), but it's not available in the current release.
Sorry,
Davy

RCAlan 04-05-2010 08:16 AM

Thanks so very much for taking the time to help out.
I wish you best of luck with this new product.
It looks great.
One of these years- I hope to update my computer but hate to fix what isn't broken!

I will continue to follow your progress on this link.

Alan

RCAlan 04-16-2010 07:09 PM

Hi
This is RCAlan Back again.
I now have new computer running Windows 7.
Program installed just fine.
Problem is that The computer can not find my controller, which is a 4 channel Futaba that came with the NEXSTAR ARF.
It is plugged in and , powered up and turned on.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Alan

rcdeskpilot 04-17-2010 03:21 AM

Hi
This is RCAlan Back again.
I now have new computer running Windows 7.
Program installed just fine.
Problem is that The computer can not find my controller, which is a 4 channel Futaba that came with the NEXSTAR ARF.
It is plugged in and , powered up and turned on.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Alan
Hi Alan, what kind of cable do you have? I assume a USB cable? Usually (but not always), the controller must be switched off when plugged into the computer.
If it's a USB cable, your controller should appear as a device in the Windows Control Panel > Hardware and Sounds > Devices and Printers. Is this the case? Maybe you can post the exact controller and cable model?
Davy

RCAlan 04-17-2010 03:18 PM

Thanks, I see you are a patient person.

I have the RealFlight Futaba Skyport T4YBF - the cheap one that came with the NexStar Trainer- connected via the "Transmitter Interface" USB cable.
Even tho the power plug was in.-I think the problem was low battery before.- DAH-

I have not tried usingmy 7 channel Hitech Transmitter, but would like to latter when Iget this one working and get a suitable interface plug.

Anyway, now the computer has recognized and installed the controller - as a game controller ( even see's it as a Nexstar)and says it is installed correctly.

<span style="font-size: small">I still get zero response from the controlls
</span>
An I overlooking something in the set up.

In the menu of controls - which (if any) boxes should be ticked- for say the Cessna.

I am not computer illiterate by any means, but do feel I need "RCDeck Pilot 101" or "RCDesk Pilot for Dummies"

Alan

dbcisco 04-17-2010 05:21 PM

Sorry,I posted this in the wrong thread.

rcdeskpilot 04-18-2010 03:57 AM

I still get zero response from the controlls
Hi Alan,
(I've got a Dutch version of Windows 7, so some captions might not be 100% correct)
In the start menu of Windows 7, in the search box, type "USB game" and a menu item will appear "set up USB game controllers". Open it and a list of game controllers appears, hopefully containing your controller. Select it and click "Properties", next click on the Calibrate button on the "Settings" tab. Follow the instructions. If your controller and USB cable are functioning, you should see some movement on screen during this wizard.

Next start up R/C Desk Pilot and go to the Controls menu. On the right side of the screen you'll see 8 sliders. 4 of these should move when swiveling your sticks. Each stick/direction should effect one slider. Look at which slider moves when moving the aileron stick and select that number on the left side of the screen next to "Roll (ailerons)". Do the same for the other 3 channels. Try it out on the airplane. When a channel is inverted, go back to the controls menu and check the first checkbox 'invert' at the corresponding control. The 'expo' checkbox makes the controls less sensitive around neutral.

Hope this helps,
Davy

RCAlan 04-18-2010 10:15 AM

Thanks , That is very clear and helpfu- but still no response.
Looks like windows can't deal with this controller.
Thanks very much for your help anyway.

Alan

Campy 04-18-2010 09:42 PM

RCAlan, What I found is in Windows 7 (64 bit) was that you need to go into the control panel and configure the controller there FIRST. (set it up as a USB). Once it is configured in the Windows control panel (devices) then the program will "see it". I would presume the 32 bit version would be the same way.

Dirtyred2424 05-06-2010 11:05 AM

Do you have a list of controllers that can be used with this software? Iam new and currently own a DX5e (which Ido not think can be connected to computer) but Iwould like to purchase a compatible controller for this software.

rcdeskpilot 05-06-2010 03:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Dirtyred2424

Do you have a list of controllers that can be used with this software? I am new and currently own a DX5e (which I do not think can be connected to computer) but I would like to purchase a compatible controller for this software.
Hi,
there are simply USB cables so that you can use your DX5e with the computer.
I'm not an expert on cables but a google give me theses:
http://www.amazon.com/RS232-Flight-S...1899868&sr=8-5
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4603
Disclaimer: better make sure it is suited for your transmitter or you can short circuit it. Maybe someone with a DX5e here can give a link to a tested one?

Or you can buy a dedicated controller for a bit more (but no fuss with charging transmitter batteries), like these E-sky ones: http://www.himodel.com/electric/E-Sk...EK2-0905A.html
There are 4 and 6 channel versions of those.

Or you can use a simple joypad with two analog joysticks(like an XBOX controller), they are not very accurate or realistic though.

Plenty of options :-)

Davy