Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FUEL QUESTION PLEASE

I'M PROBABLY MOVING OUT OF THE COUNTRY VERY SOON, AND I DONT KNOW IF THERE ARE PLACES THAT SALE 2 STROKE AND 4 STROKE FUELS, SO I'M PROBABLY GOING TO BE MIXING FUEL, SO:
    HOW YOU MIX AND PREPARE 2 STROKE FUEL? I USUALLYBUY THE GRREN 15%
    HOW YOU MIX AND PREPARE 4 STROKE FUEL?
    THANKS REGARDS.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: FUEL QUESTION PLEASE

You can use the same fuel in either engine
    Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Recipient, Mangledhand award August 2008
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i DONT recomend mixing your own fuel.

Have a look at the sticky at the top of the forum page...there is a FAQ thread that should be able to answer your questions.
    < Wrongway Feldman's Kreider-Reisner KR-21...(on Gilligan's Island)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

moe7404;

Why is that?

L.
    Cherokee Flyer
    Club SAITO #696

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

cause mixing methanol, nitromethane, oil is hard to do. BUT if you want to mix just methanol, and oil. that is very easy. i would run 10% to 15% oil. this is by volume. so the math is easy. use klotz benol . but mixing nitro with methanol you need a hydrometer. they are easy to use, but there is a steep learning curve also the hydrometer and tall beaker are glass and would be hard to ship. i checked some 20% odonnell, it had the right s.g.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Moe, apparently you're using experience with mixing methanol into nitro for drag racing where I can agree a hydrometer is the only way to tell what proportions are used. But for model use it's not necessary and mixing oil/methanol/nitro by volume is the accepted and most practical way to do it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: downunder

Moe, apparently you're using experience with mixing methanol into nitro for drag racing where I can agree a hydrometer is the only way to tell what proportions are used. But for model use it's not necessary and mixing oil/methanol/nitro by volume is the accepted and most practical way to do it.
    other than being exact enough to pass tech, top fuelers run something like 80-90% nitromethane and 10-20% methanol. Doesnt sound like a tough mixture to come up with to me.

Model engines are not NASA rockets. Therefore rocket science isn't necessary. Some Flyers have mixed their own fuel as long as I've been alive. Must not be that hard, especially since they're still running those engines 30 years later. Hmmph.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

other than being exact enough to pass tech, top fuelers run somethinglike 80-90% nitromethane and 10-20% methanol. Doesnt sound like a toughmixture to come up with to me.
    Drag racing percentages are by weight not volume as with hobby fuel.  This is so that the inspectors can verify the fuel with a hydrometer.  The nitro has a high mass, higher than water.  Methanol and acetone the two most common additives to drag racing nitro fuel are both much lighter.  So they must pass a certain specific density despite what other additives are added. 
    Glow Head Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yes you CAN mix by eye, but you dont know what that the percent is. and for some people that might be ok.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh dear.Why do people reply to subjects that they don't know anything about. If you can use a measuring cup you can make fuel. moe7404 the only time you might need a hydrometer is if you are making wine at the same time as your fuel.
    18 to 20 % oil 1 to 3 % acetone. Add % nitro to suit and the the rest is methanol. Then shake,shake and shake again.
    Its not rocket science.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Turqui: Here's the most important thing you need to know about mixing your own fuel: Listen to Downunder, ignore moe7404.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How to mix your own 2 stroke fuel:

1)Buy and drink 5 beers .
    2)Fill 4 cans with Metanol.
    3)Fill 1 can with castor oil.
    3)Mix the cans in gallon and shake.
    5)Go flying

It will work with coke or water but not with whisky.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jcvt

How to mix your own 2 stroke fuel:

1)Buy and drink 5 beers .
    2)Fill 4 cans with Metanol.
    3)Fill 1 can with castor oil.
    3)Mix the cans in gallon and shake.
    5)Go flying

It will work with coke or water but not with whisky.
    I only find 1 flaw in your equation... Thats only gonna get you just shy of a half gallon. Repeat this equation twice for a gallon minus 1 cup, but by this time you might be... well.. who knows... lol.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

so i guess i should through out what i learned the last 3 summers mixing fuel for my friends 4 drag top fuel motorcycles.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: moe7404

so i guess i should through out what i learned the last 3 summers mixing fuel for my friends 4 drag top fuel motorcycles.
    I don't think thats necessary, personally. I DO think you should accept the fact that there is more than 1 possible way to mix fuel. Obviously there's a more technical side to Automotive/motorcycle racing using weights and specific gravity. This is just not necessary when making fuel for a model engine. It is not rocket science, and doesn't need to be either. The engine doesnt care how the fuel is made or who makes it. As long as theres a decent amount of methanol in it, and a little oil the thing is gonna run. Add nitro, better yet.

just my thoughts. take it or leave it.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What everyone has been trying politely to say to you is that the fuel requirements for drag racing and model engines is totally different. If the rules for drag racing require a minimum of 10% methanol added to the nitro then there has to be a way of testing a competitor's fuel (hydrometer) to ensure that no one tries to cheat by only adding 9% for that bit of extra oomph. That kind of requirement simply doesn't apply to model engines so we mix in the simplest possible way which is by volume for each ingredient. And given that we mix with three ingredients (oil as well) that'd make a hydrometer useless.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

if i recomend to mix your own nitro, i get flamed. if i recomend to NOT mix your own i still get flamed. so just pretend i wasnt even here. i WILL NOT put up with being flamed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

if i recomend to mix your own nitro, i get flamed. if i recomend to NOT mix your own i still get flamed. so just pretend i wasnt even here. i WILL NOT put up with being flamed.
    Dude.. you don't seem to get it.. Nobody's flaming you for anything. You insist that mixing model engine fuel requires precise instrumentation to get it right. In reality, that is just not true. Why can't you just accept that?

At a race track, nobody wants a cheater. I'm sure we all understand there are extra steps that need to be taken to prevent cheating. Fine. When it comes to model engine fuel, what do we have to gain if we say its 10% nitro but really its 20% nitro? Not much if anything. Besides - nobody really cares much if your engine turns 500 more rpm than mine. Its one of those "more power to you" sort of things.

Don't be a martyr. Just accept the fact that mixing model engine fuel isnt that complicated and be done with it. You don't recommend it, fine. That doesnt make it wrong for me to make my own model engine fuel for over half the cost of something thats made the very same way but by a machine.

I'm not bashing you nor have I seen anyone else bashing you so get over it.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3