Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Fuel mixing advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:16 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fuel mixing advice

ORIGINAL: KeroPower

I ran FAI fuel in my Magnum .52 4s and it worked just fine. I used the good ole OS #6 again.

The Klean Strip brew will NOT work in a 4s though. The plug will not stay lit no matter how hot the plug is.

IMO home brewing is the way to go. I haven't bought one of those pink or green engine killers in over a year. [img][/img] I've burned a lot of Klean Strip since then. Hmm...I wonder if Home Depot can get me a five gallon can of it. I mean during the winter they sell five gallon cans of Klean Strip kerosene for heaters.

If you want to do a quick test to see if your 4s likes 0% nitro just go to Wal-Mart and get two yellow bottles of HEET gas line anti-freeze. That gives you 24 ounces of methanol. Add 6 ounces of castor oil and you have 20% oil FAI fuel. Each 12 oz bottle costs $1.39.

I use to burn HEET before I discovered that the Klean Strip works just as well.

Good luck.

So you use all castor, no synthetic? Would the 0% nitro also work with blended oil like Klotz? I am not sure I want that much castor splashing on my airplane (just my preference).
Old 06-23-2011, 09:38 AM
KeroPower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes all castor. You could get some Klotz Super Techniplate which is 80/20. I have also used this oil in my OS .25 LA.

I made up a batch of 0% nitro all castor and 0% nitro Klotz Super Techniplate. I tested both fuels in the same engine on the same plane. I could not tell any difference in flight performance. Never tached it though.

I just use all castor mostly because it is pretty cheap and it will work in any type of engine ABN, ABC, lapped, ringend, ball bearing, bushed, etc. Plus without it, the bushed OS .25 LA will start making a rattling sound at idle.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:17 AM
TCraft Lover
My Feedback: (1)

OK I have to ask so forgive me if this is old stuff. What is the difference between drug store castor and Fox / Sig castor?
Old 06-23-2011, 10:23 AM
hsukaria

Yes all castor. You could get some Klotz Super Techniplate which is 80/20. I have also used this oil in my OS .25 LA.

I made up a batch of 0% nitro all castor and 0% nitro Klotz Super Techniplate. I tested both fuels in the same engine on the same plane. I could not tell any difference in flight performance. Never tached it though.

I just use all castor mostly because it is pretty cheap and it will work in any type of engine ABN, ABC, lapped, ringend, ball bearing, bushed, etc. Plus without it, the bushed OS .25 LA will start making a rattling sound at idle.
Ok, good to know. I know that most engines require some castor oil. But I didn't know if ALL castor affected performance. But seems from what you are saying that it's ok. Maybe a little messy on the airplane?

The reason I ask these questions is that I have 2 and 4 stroke engines. I have been using 15% nitro with blended oil 15% synth/5% castor (2-stroke blend). They seem to work ok for 2 strokes (except the old Fox .74, which requires lower nitro). I also noticed that the Super Tigre and my old Irvine liked 10% nitro more than 15%. But I have also had less than desirable results with my 4-strokes. Some people have been telling me that I need to run 4-stroke fuel blend. So, if I need to have a different fuel for different engines anyway, and I suspect the 4-stroke fuel blend isn't going to be cheap, then I might as well try to get the 2-stroke engines to work with cheaper fuel.

For your 2-strokes on FAI fuel:
1. Did you have to change to hotter glow plugs?
2. Did you have to increase compression?
3. Did you notice any power loss? Idle? Throttle response?
4. Did the FAI work on some 2-strokes, but not others?

Sorry if I am asking too many questions, any info would help me in the future.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:23 PM
KeroPower

ORIGINAL: TCraft Lover

OK I have to ask so forgive me if this is old stuff. What is the difference between drug store castor and Fox / Sig castor?
The castor plant it self is extremely poisonous. It contains the toxin riacin (probably spelled that wrong). However when the beans are pressed for their oil (castor oil), the oil it self is not poisonous. However some crushed bits of the toxic beans themselves may be in the oil. So the oil must be filtered well.

Drug store castor must filtered very well to make sure the oil is not poisonous. Otherwise people could get sick and die.

Fox and Sig oil is filtered, but not to the extent that drug store castor is since it is not ment to be ingested. This makes it much cheaper.

I have used both drug store castor and Fox castor in my engines. Both worked equally well.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:32 PM
KeroPower

No problem. I love to talk about fuels.

1. Yes, I changed to the OS #6.
2. No need to increase the compression.
3. I did not notice a power loss. Check the video on page one. The Klean Strip runs just like FAI fuel. I'd say throttle repsonse is very good. I did not have any idling problems.
4. The only 2s I could not get to run well on it were my Pee Wee .020 and Cox .049. Well the .049 did ok, but the needle was very sensitive.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:48 PM
TCraft Lover

So can it be said that methanol and synthetic oil, not castor, is a recipe for problems? (pun intended) I would like to try some FAI blend in my G2300 with buying a whole gallon. Would I be safe in mixing some S-L-X with Cool Power synthetic oil for this engine. Forgive me for using the CP word.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:21 PM
KeroPower

So can it be said that methanol and synthetic oil, not castor, is a recipe for problems? (pun intended) I would like to try some FAI blend in my G2300 with buying a whole gallon. Would I be safe in mixing some S-L-X with Cool Power synthetic oil for this engine. Forgive me for using the CP word.
I never triedmethanol and synthetic oil. If you just want to see if the G2300 likes 0% nitro, I see no problem mixing a small batch. I would try %20 CP oil and the rest S-L-X. Should work just fine. I ran a Super Tigre gs .40 on just S-L-X and oil and it worked great. Just use an OS #6 plug.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:41 PM
hsukaria

So can it be said that methanol and synthetic oil, not castor, is a recipe for problems? (pun intended) I would like to try some FAI blend in my G2300 with buying a whole gallon. Would I be safe in mixing some S-L-X with Cool Power synthetic oil for this engine. Forgive me for using the CP word.[img][/img]
I never tried methanol and synthetic oil. If you just want to see if the G2300 likes 0% nitro, I see no problem mixing a small batch. I would try %20 CP oil and the rest S-L-X. Should work just fine. I ran a Super Tigre gs .40 on just S-L-X and oil and it worked great. Just use an OS #6 plug.
I have no experience with large 2-stroke nitro engines. But I'm told from several threads in RCU that larger engines tolerate low or 0% nitro even better. So, something like the G2300 should work fine on FAI. But also notice that the larger engines require a lower percentage of oil content. Your G2300 manual should mention it. I'm guessing around 16% oil only compared to 20% on the smaller engines.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:42 PM
hsukaria

No problem. I love to talk about fuels.

1. Yes, I changed to the OS #6.
2. No need to increase the compression.
3. I did not notice a power loss. Check the video on page one. The Klean Strip runs just like FAI fuel. I'd say throttle repsonse is very good. I did not have any idling problems.
4. The only 2s I could not get to run well on it were my Pee Wee .020 and Cox .049. Well the .049 did ok, but the needle was very sensitive.
I wonder if I use a Fox Miracle plug instead of an OS #6. I have a whole pile of Miracle plugs that need a home.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:02 PM
KeroPower

The miracle plug might work.  I have one I could throw on my .25 LA and see how it does with FAI.

Does not work well with the S-L-X. I tried that a while ago. Idle in not good at all, neither is the top end. Must use an OS #6 for the S-L-X.

I just got back from running my ST .40 on the test tand with the S-L-X (same fuel used in the video on page one). I adjusted the needles and it runs perfectly. Ready to go on a plane.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:21 PM
hsukaria

The miracle plug might work. I have one I could throw on my .25 LA and see how it does with FAI.

Does not work well with the S-L-X. I tried that a while ago. Idle in not good at all, neither is the top end. Must use an OS #6 for the S-L-X.

I just got back from running my ST .40 on the test tand with the S-L-X (same fuel used in the video on page one). I adjusted the needles and it runs perfectly. Ready to go on a plane.
Sorry, but I missed it, what is S-L-X ?
Old 06-23-2011, 02:28 PM
KeroPower

Klean Strip brand S-L-X denatured alcohol. It is half ethanol and half methanol. Available at any home improvement store. Good stuff.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:18 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Klean Strip brand S-L-X denatured alcohol. It is half ethanol and half methanol. Available at any home improvement store. Good stuff.
Its too bad Methanol is cheaper per gallon than SLX is.. Here in Minnesota, the average price for a quart of SLX Den. Alcohol is about $5.00. A gallon of methanol works out to right around $6.00 a gallon.

Has anyone used a hot plug other than OS and had good results running FAI or 5% nitro? (4-stroke or Super hot temp range) I just can't see paying $10 a plug for those OS plugs, plus I've never had good luck with them in the past. I normally use McCoy #59 hot plugs, which are $6-7 apiece.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:46 PM
KeroPower

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Its too bad Methanol is cheaper per gallon than SLX is.. Here in Minnesota, the average price for a quart of SLX Den. Alcohol is about $5.00. A gallon of methanol works out to right around $6.00 a gallon.

Has anyone used a hot plug other than OS and had good results running FAI or 5% nitro? (4-stroke or Super hot temp range) I just can't see paying $10 a plug for those OS plugs, plus I've never had good luck with them in the past. I normally use McCoy #59 hot plugs, which are $6-7 apiece.
Yes, but for me it would be a day's worth of driving to get methanol from a speed shop and it costs $50 for a five gallon can. So I'm going to stick with the Klean Strip. Even at 25% Fox castor oil, total cost of fuel/oil mix per gallon when using Klean Strip is still only $17 ($4 less than what my lhs sells Omega for). I could drop it down to 20% andsave more money.

Fox hot should work. There like $5. I've got three of them right now. I should try one with my FAI fuel. Don't work with Klean Strip though.

The OS plugs have worked the best for me so far. Lasted a long time too. That's what I like about OS even though their stuff is over priced and their ABN liners may not last forever, at least their products just work. No messing around. More flying, less tuning.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:26 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Yes, but for me it would be a day's worth of driving to get methanol from a speed shop and it costs $50 for a five gallon can. So I'm going to stick with the Klean Strip. Even at 25% Fox castor oil, total cost of fuel/oil mix per gallon when using Klean Strip is still only $17 ($4 less than what my lhs sells Omega for). I could drop it down to 20% and save more money.

Fox hot should work. There like $5. I've got three of them right now. I should try one with my FAI fuel. Don't work with Klean Strip though.

The OS plugs have worked the best for me so far. Lasted a long time too. That's what I like about OS even though their stuff is over priced and their ABN liners may not last forever, at least their products just work. No messing around. More flying, less tuning.
I get my methanol from a Chemical/Oil supplier. You may see if there's an oil supplier nearby instead of the speed shop? I suppose if you're out "in the sticks" then it wouldnt be worth it.

The Fox hot plugs aren't as hot as the MC59's.. The recess around the plug's coil is far smaller on the fox plugs. I have a Fox hot idle-bar (which none of my engines will run on at all), and a hot Fox car plug. I get about 300-400rpm less with the fox car plug than I do the Mccoy's. I haven't tried my FAI brew on my current plugs, but I'd like to get a 4-stroke plug or two to test with, but again... I am not willing to pay OS's outrageous prices. I know Fox makes a 4-stroke plug, but it looked identical to the miracle plug. Anyone use the Super-hot McCoy plug? I think its MC-14 or something like that. Nobody locally carries them by me, but I'd order a few if they work better than a 59 would.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:36 PM
TCraft Lover

Hey KeroPower,
You said your methanol price was prohibitive@ $50.00 / gal. through a speed shop. Have you ever priced it through a fluids company such as we have here in Mn. called Lube Tech. They are industrial suppliers of hydraulic fluids and many other refined fluids.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:21 PM
KeroPower

Hmm...I'll check to see if there is a oil/chemical supplier near me, thanks.

I live in Annapolis, Maryland and that speed shop that sold a five gallon can of methanol for 50 dollars is all the way on the other side of Baltimore. It wasn't even M1 methanol either.

At first I didn't understand how you came up with $10 for an OS #6 plug when Tower Hobbies has them for 4.99. They also list the Type F at 7.99. Then I remembered that at the hobby shop, they are indeed $10.

Well you could order them online and then bundle it with a new engine, servos, or something to make the shipping worth it.

Have you ever tried Merlin, K&B or Thunder Bolt glow plugs? I have never tried a McCoy plug. I once bought a Thunder Bolt plug (from Hobby People) recommended for my Magnum .52 four stroke. It started up fine, but would always die as soon as removed the igniter. Slapped an OS F plug on it and everything worked. I was running Omega %10.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:43 PM
downunder

I've only ever used nitro once in the last 50+ years (groan) and that was only because we were in a rat race competition for a state championship. Other than that it's just been 20-25% all castor. For myself it's almost all CL but my son flies RC and uses the same fuel. Cox .049's run perfectly on it (one flick hand starts too ) all the way up to a 1.20 which is our largest engine. I've also run 4 litres of fuel through one engine using gas turbine synthetic instead of castor but gave that away because the turbine oil was 3 times the cost of castor. I don't have any particular favourites as far as plug brand goes so long as they're a hot plug. Currently I'm using the Taipan hot (red) plug but mainly because they're locally made.

Raising compression definitely helps (but isn't necessary) although you need a lathe because removing a shim or two doesn't have enough affect to do it properly.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:23 AM
TCraft Lover

I got my hands on some castor at the local drug store. $3.00 for 2 oz. Ouch. I'll be heading to Home depot to look fora quartS-L-X. Should be able to mix up about 10 oz. enough for a small tank full. Should be a good test in the ST G2300.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:26 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I got my hands on some castor at the local drug store. $3.00 for 2 oz. Ouch. I'll be heading to Home depot to look for a quart S-L-X. Should be able to mix up about 10 oz. enough for a small tank full. Should be a good test in the ST G2300.
Walgreens has 4oz bottles for 5$. It's cheaper to get it from Sig. I think Sig is cheaper than fox.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:42 AM
TCraft Lover

Thanks for the Walgreens tip. I believe Sig Castor is 23.00 / Gal. + shipping. Don't remember about Fox prices. I still need to get a hotter gp to test my ST G2300.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:03 AM
KeroPower

Fox is $23 a gallon. That price includes shipping. That's where I get my castor.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:15 AM
TCraft Lover

Just got off the Sig web site and it is $22.99 / gal. plus shipping.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:02 AM
KeroPower

TCraft Lover, why not just get some methanol instead of the S-L-X? I mean it will work, but I thought you said you can get methanol pretty easily from that chemical/lube supplier. Do they only sell it in large quantities (5 gallons and up)?

But if you just want to do a quick test, then the S-L-X and Walgreen's castor should be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.