Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Methanol prices

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:25 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Methanol prices

I am getting ready to start mixing my own fuel. I bought 100% nitromethane for $49.50/ gallon shipped from Torco fuels on Ebay. Castor oil can be purchased here locally. My question is regarding the price of methanol. I found an oil company 15 minutes away that sells methanol for $2.79/ Gallon, yet Torco where i bought the nitro sells methanol for 22.50/Gallon shipped. is the price discrepency just in the "free shipping" or am i buying a different product? methanol is methanol right? are there different grades that I should be watching out for? If I buy methanol locally what should I expect to pay for it?
Thanks
Old 10-25-2011, 11:11 AM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Methanol prices

$3 per gallon in your own container is about right. Mail order costs money for the container, shipping box, shipping, and hazardous materials shipping surcharges.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:06 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Last time i bought methanol was at the dragstrip and i paid $2.59 a gallon. so $2.70 sounds correct.

One other thing, Methanol comes in different grades so if it is good to run a car you are good. If not you may be buying some industrial cleaner type methanol that may not work for fuel.

For your first batch of fuel i would try mixing a small amount say a half gallon and run your engine on that and make sure it works correctly. If not you are not out much oil or nitro rather than making a five gallon batch right off the bat.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:13 PM
yakfish

I was planning to start with smaller quantaties anywhay to try some different nitro contents in my engines. I want to see how little nitro I can get away with while still maintaining descent power. my main reason is to get away from spending $30 a gallon for fuel!
Old 10-26-2011, 03:51 AM
plaurence
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know where I can buy methanol in the South Florida area?

Old 10-26-2011, 02:44 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: plaurence

Contact a local oil supply company. It took me some time before I found a source of methanol locally. I get it in 5 gallon buckets for $32 plus tax. Its a little pricey, but I havent been able to find anyone else that sells it for any cheaper. Larger quantities are cheaper per gallon but often require getting a drum of it. My methanol is 99.9% pure fuel grade and has a nice pale blue color, and my engines run great on it.

If using castor only to make fuel, dont forget the defoaming agent. Your fuel will bubble profusely if you dont. I use Armorall Original, 2-3 squirts per gallon for car fuel and 1-2 squirts for airplane fuel.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:15 PM
yakfish

The place I found sells it by the gallon but you have to bring your own container. but you can go wrong for the price.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:05 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: yakfish

The place I found sells it by the gallon but you have to bring your own container. but you can go wrong for the price.
I lucked out with my methanol supplier - heavy duty metal cans, with o-ringed caps included. I should check to see if they would give me a better price if I brought this can back and either refilled it or exchanged it for a full can. The fuel I made with it (about 7 gallons split between car and airplane engines) has ran better than any premix I've every used bar-none.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:12 PM
yakfish

I sure would. At $32 for 5 gallons your spending $6.40 a gallon. Thats more than twice what it will cost me per gallon by using my own container.

I just need to figure out what to use for a container. I'll probably just get a regular 5 gallon gas can and lable it "methanol".
Old 10-27-2011, 04:58 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

I used some old Power Master Fuel cans.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:49 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I sure would. At $32 for 5 gallons your spending $6.40 a gallon. Thats more than twice what it will cost me per gallon by using my own container.

I just need to figure out what to use for a container. I'll probably just get a regular 5 gallon gas can and lable it ''methanol''.
The problem with this supplier is they do not refill outside containers. Hey sell by 5gal buckets, 30 and 55gal drums and train cars. I don't have any automotive race shops/tracks that use methanol so I'm limited on my options. Even still it's still cheaper to make my own than buying premixed.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:08 AM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

I just need to figure out what to use for a container. I'll probably just get a regular 5 gallon gas can and lable it ''methanol''.
The problem with this supplier is they do not refill outside containers. Hey sell by 5gal buckets, 30 and 55gal drums and train cars. I don't have any automotive race shops/tracks that use methanol so I'm limited on my options. Even still it's still cheaper to make my own than buying premixed.

I would go for a train car then LOL!

I guess I'm just lucky here. I found 3 different places within a short distance where I can buy the stuff.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:12 AM
nemoskull

the local off road hot rod here in yuma has methanol for 7$ a gallon. the dragstrip in phoenix, az sells nitromethane for 20.00 gal.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:26 PM
KC36330

I'm curious what you guys are paying for premixed? 15% and 30%

Morgan Fuel is about 3 blocks from my house so there are no shipping/hazard fees tacked on it here.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:44 PM
cutaway

ORIGINAL: plaurence
VP Racing in Ft. Lauderdale, on St. Andrews. Not cheap, but good. Their M-1 methanol has very low water content.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:37 AM
THOMKP J
My Feedback: (15)

There is a comapny located just off the Route 35 Xenia exit named Duncan Oil! I went there last year and purchase 5 gallons of methanol for 22.50, and a gallon of nitro for around 20 dollars!
Old 05-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$2.50 a gallon straight from the pump, at a local race supply shop. I have been buying it there for years.