Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How to keep castor from seperating in cold?

Ok, I have some high nitro fuel I mixed for my small 1/2a engines for when I want them REALLY HOT . I had a jug of powermaster 50/50 methanol/nitromethane like they used to sell. I combined 8/10 of a gallon of this to 2/10 of a gallon of sig castor. I figure I should be pretty close to 40% nitro and 20% castor fuel mix.

Here in Minnesota when it is cold the oil seperates and rises to the top. I have read that with high nitro percentages the oil will seperate like this and unless you want to be constantly mixing it needs a "co-solvent" How normal is my situation and what can be done about it? What is a good co-solvent? I'd like to make this work as it will be all the high% fuel I will need for life running small engines! Thanks in advance.
    \"A guy told me the other day I must be very smart,......I told him \"No!, I\'\'m REALLY dumb, But learning from my mistakes!!\"\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: How to keep castor from seperating in cold?

Typically the answer is synthetic oil.

How long has your castor been sitting around? I've had problems with old castor.
    Greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Add some acetone. This helps as solving agent. Keeping the fuel above freezing when not in use also helps.
    Pe, (www.mvvs.nl), MVVS, MOKImotor, RCexl, MTW, Xoar, Mejzlik.
    Blessing in ignorance? There is sanctuary in analysis.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I suspect your fuel is hovering right on the edge where castor is no longer soluble in nitro and I'm guessing this "edge" may be temperature dependent in that with warmer fuel the oil may not seperate out. Try what pe said or you could try ether which is a very good solvent but tends to evaporate out rather quickly. Or just fly on warmer days .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How much acetone are we talking PE? 1 or 2%?....I did move it into the house out of the cold garage and it seems to be better. I don't use it very often but like to keep it as a "stash" of the stout stuff. The castor is about 2 years old, as is the nitro/methanol. Thanks for the replies...I think I may try some acetone.
    \"A guy told me the other day I must be very smart,......I told him \"No!, I\'\'m REALLY dumb, But learning from my mistakes!!\"\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The norm is about 3%. More will harden your silicone fuel lines too much.
    Because Acetone evaporates better than methanol at low temperatures, it also improves winter wonderland engine handling, especially the cold starts.

PS
    Ether in glow fuel causes knock, unless your compression ratio is very low. Not good either way.
    Pe, (www.mvvs.nl), MVVS, MOKImotor, RCexl, MTW, Xoar, Mejzlik.
    Blessing in ignorance? There is sanctuary in analysis.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I heard a detergent mixes oil and water in high school chemistry.  I am not sure I would put it in glow fuel with a motor I care about though.  Most of them are water based.  Might be an experiment if you have nothing to do.  It may foam up too much or take too much to have an effect. ( I failed grade 12 chemistry too if you really want to know.)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: aspeed

I heard a detergent mixes oil and water in high school chemistry. I am not sure I would put it in glow fuel with a motor I care about though. Most of them are water based. Might be an experiment if you have nothing to do. It may foam up too much or take too much to have an effect. ( I failed grade 12 chemistry too if you really want to know.)

Our oil and fuel is soluble in water so detergent really in't required.
    Glow Head Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Unless the detergent makes it more soluble so it doesn't separate.  I was worried about the water in the detergent ruining the motor.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: aspeed

Unless the detergent makes it more soluble so it doesn't separate. I was worried about the water in the detergent ruining the motor.

No the detergent would not be any help. Acetone might.
    Glow Head Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Acetone worked well...as did a slightly warmer storage area, Honestly I'd just shake it up right before I use it before I started adding anything too weird or water to the stuff. I think if it were any weaker than 40% It would'nt have done it? Todd