Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
Reload this Page >

no nitro fuel and will it dissovle paint?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

no nitro fuel and will it dissovle paint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 08:49 PM
MattCurtis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no nitro fuel and will it dissovle paint?

I am going to try using no nitro fuel and was wondering since it has no nitro will it dissovle paint like nitro fuel will. I know nitro fuel will dissovle latex paint and raw nitro fuel will melt dope as well.Is it the nitro methane in fuel that is hard on paint or is the methanol the culprit as well? I will try a test on a sample painted with latex paint to see how it fares? I know latex paint will be okay with gasoline. Of course the latex paint can probably be top coated with Nelson clear or maybe an oil based polyurethane varnish? I was hoping that fuel proofing might not be needed with no nitro fuel?
Old 05-12-2012, 02:59 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: no nitro fuel and will it dissovle paint?

Nitro and oil are the culprit. Methanol hardly attacks paint. Latex however will be dissolved by alcohol as well.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:46 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

Nitro and oil are the culprit. Methanol hardly attacks paint. Latex however will be dissolved by alcohol as well.
I've had methanol damage paint and polyurethane wood finish. Short term exposure doesnt usually do much damage. Long term could cause problems. Polyurethane (of good quality) will hold up pretty well against fuel, nitro or not. If you abrade the paint well enough, polyurethane will stick to it and be a better barrier against fuel than paint itself.

I've put waterbased polyurethane over epoxy finishing resin and had good success with it holding up.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on the type of paint.  There are some which have no problems with the nitro, but the very small amount of acetone in some is a problem and the nitro gets the blame.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:21 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

eruthanes and epoxy paints like used on automobiles will tolerate nitromethane, methanol and acetone. Lacquer, latex or enamel will not handle either of them.

Rustoleum is an oil based product, it is heavy and takes a long time to dry.

Most rattle can paints are enamel. Duplicolor is lacquer. Duplicolor clear is also lacquer.

Automotive eruthane base coat has to be clear coated.

Frank