Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Currently Available Fuel

I have several O.S. 46FX ABN engines. Some have been used a lot and a couple still new in the box. I have been out of flying for a few years and have become unfamiliar with the fuels available today. A quick trip to my local hobby store and all I saw was Cool Power and Powermaster. However, neither mentioned castor in the blend, which I think ABN engines need. And all of the fuels seem to have only about 17% oil. I think 20-22% used to be more common. Anyhow, the question is what fuel should I use to break in the new engines and what fuel in them once broken in? Thanks a lot.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Avoid the Coolpower because it's only 17% oil and all synthetic. Check out the Powermaster fuels web site at http://www.powermasterfuels.com/inde...&id=6&Itemid=8 and down at the bottom under Control Line you'll find some very suitable fuels which your LHS should be able to order in for you. Personally I'd go for the GMA 5/22 which is a castor/synthetic blend and use it for both running in and flying.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    At todays fuel prices suggest that you mix your on.
    Glow Head Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot View Post
    At todays fuel prices suggest that you mix your on.
    +1.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    You can add oil to your coolpower to bring it up to 20%. Castor and synthetic can be shipped without a hazardous material charge. A gallon of castor is around $16 and a gallon of synthetic is around $24. Sig, S&W and probably many others will sell and ship gallons of oil.

Alternatively your LHS might be willing to order the fuel you want. It might take a long time to come in with their next regular truck delivery. Otherwise you would incur the hazardous material charge, which is high.

Blending your own is even better, but you will need a local supplier of methanol and nitro. Race tracks sometimes will sell methanol to modelers. I don't know where to get nitro.
    Last edited by JPMacG; 12-21-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by JPMacG View Post
    You can add oil to your coolpower to bring it up to 20%. Castor and synthetic can be shipped without a hazardous material charge. A gallon of castor is around $16 and a gallon of synthetic is around $24. Sig, S&W and probably many others will sell and ship gallons of oil.

Alternatively your LHS might be willing to order the fuel you want. It might take a long time to come in with their next regular truck delivery. Otherwise you would incur the hazardous material charge, which is high.

Blending your own is even better, but you will need a local supplier of methanol and nitro. Race tracks sometimes will sell methanol to modelers. I don't know where to get nitro.
    I order oil from SIG, their pricing is $23/gal for castor, $40/gal for Klotz and add shipping. They charge me $10 per 4-gallon case for shipping. I ordered my last gallon of nitro from Amazon for $55/gal and FREE shipping, and methanol is $2.65/gal. I make 5 different fuel blends costing between $10 and $20 per gallon. For what mixed fuel costs at the hobby shops around here, it's ludicrous to buy premixed fuel. Methanol comes from an oil company (gas station) that also sells race gas and nitromethane. The nitro only comes in 55gal drums though. Glow fuel is $25-$40/gal around here depending on what kind of fuel it is.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I just checked S&W's website. Castor is around 24 and synthetic is 40. My previous figures were wrong. For someone who lives nearby (like me) they will give a nice discount if you pick it up at their factory.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by JPMacG View Post
    I just checked S&W's website. Castor is around 24 and synthetic is 40. My previous figures were wrong. For someone who lives nearby (like me) they will give a nice discount if you pick it up at their factory.
    It costs more in gas than it does to ship to my house from SIG. Even if I drove the wife's car that gets 33mpg. It would be nice if I was closer.
    Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 12-24-2013 at 11:03 AM.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3