Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Currently Available Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 04:02 PM
go_hercules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Currently Available Fuel

I have several O.S. 46FX ABN engines. Some have been used a lot and a couple still new in the box. I have been out of flying for a few years and have become unfamiliar with the fuels available today. A quick trip to my local hobby store and all I saw was Cool Power and Powermaster. However, neither mentioned castor in the blend, which I think ABN engines need. And all of the fuels seem to have only about 17% oil. I think 20-22% used to be more common. Anyhow, the question is what fuel should I use to break in the new engines and what fuel in them once broken in? Thanks a lot.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:51 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avoid the Coolpower because it's only 17% oil and all synthetic. Check out the Powermaster fuels web site at http://www.powermasterfuels.com/inde...&id=6&Itemid=8 and down at the bottom under Control Line you'll find some very suitable fuels which your LHS should be able to order in for you. Personally I'd go for the GMA 5/22 which is a castor/synthetic blend and use it for both running in and flying.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

At todays fuel prices suggest that you mix your on.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:11 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
At todays fuel prices suggest that you mix your on.
+1.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:02 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

You can add oil to your coolpower to bring it up to 20%. Castor and synthetic can be shipped without a hazardous material charge. A gallon of castor is around $16 and a gallon of synthetic is around $24. Sig, S&W and probably many others will sell and ship gallons of oil.

Alternatively your LHS might be willing to order the fuel you want. It might take a long time to come in with their next regular truck delivery. Otherwise you would incur the hazardous material charge, which is high.

Blending your own is even better, but you will need a local supplier of methanol and nitro. Race tracks sometimes will sell methanol to modelers. I don't know where to get nitro.

Last edited by JPMacG; 12-21-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:09 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by JPMacG
You can add oil to your coolpower to bring it up to 20%. Castor and synthetic can be shipped without a hazardous material charge. A gallon of castor is around $16 and a gallon of synthetic is around $24. Sig, S&W and probably many others will sell and ship gallons of oil.

Alternatively your LHS might be willing to order the fuel you want. It might take a long time to come in with their next regular truck delivery. Otherwise you would incur the hazardous material charge, which is high.

Blending your own is even better, but you will need a local supplier of methanol and nitro. Race tracks sometimes will sell methanol to modelers. I don't know where to get nitro.
I order oil from SIG, their pricing is $23/gal for castor, $40/gal for Klotz and add shipping. They charge me $10 per 4-gallon case for shipping. I ordered my last gallon of nitro from Amazon for $55/gal and FREE shipping, and methanol is $2.65/gal. I make 5 different fuel blends costing between $10 and $20 per gallon. For what mixed fuel costs at the hobby shops around here, it's ludicrous to buy premixed fuel. Methanol comes from an oil company (gas station) that also sells race gas and nitromethane. The nitro only comes in 55gal drums though. Glow fuel is $25-$40/gal around here depending on what kind of fuel it is.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:45 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

I just checked S&W's website. Castor is around 24 and synthetic is 40. My previous figures were wrong. For someone who lives nearby (like me) they will give a nice discount if you pick it up at their factory.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:57 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by JPMacG
I just checked S&W's website. Castor is around 24 and synthetic is 40. My previous figures were wrong. For someone who lives nearby (like me) they will give a nice discount if you pick it up at their factory.
It costs more in gas than it does to ship to my house from SIG. Even if I drove the wife's car that gets 33mpg. It would be nice if I was closer.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 12-24-2013 at 10:03 AM.