Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
Reload this Page >

Sport Flying Glow Fuel Recommendations

Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Sport Flying Glow Fuel Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 10:52 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sport Flying Glow Fuel Recommendations

Finally got a new house and the shop set back up after moving back to the USA and have a few planes almost ready to fly. I fly .25 - .55 engines and have used Cool Max and Red Max 15 % nitro for years. I bought a gallon of Byron Fuels Aero Gen2 and was wondering how happy folks are with it. It seems to have absolutely no residue if you spill some on the bench or hands so am wondering how forgiving it might be in over-lean run.

Would also appreciate recommendations on what suppliers are shipping 4 gallon cases these days.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:52 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Make sure it isn't car fuel. That stuff will have 10-12% oil roughly. I have used the Byrons car fuel in the past. I wasn't overly impressed. I think they mix the fuel by weight IIRC.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:58 PM
thailazer

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Make sure it isn't car fuel. That stuff will have 10-12% oil roughly. I have used the Byrons car fuel in the past. I wasn't overly impressed. I think they mix the fuel by weight IIRC.
Thanks. The jug states 18 % lubrication synthetic/castor blend which should be perfect. I am going to give the gallon a shot to see how it works but I am also not too impressed with the first engine runs. Also sent an email to Red Max to see if they still ship in 1 gallon jugs in a 4 gallon case.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:24 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Personally, if I were having to order fuel and have it shipped, I'd opt for using SIG Champion fuel. I really liked their fuel - it ran consistent.

If you buy in gallons, you'll pay hazmat shipping fees (about $25/4-gallon case). If you buy in quarts, you don't pay hazmat fees.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:13 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the recommendation using the Sig fuel. I live fairly close and my local supplier visits the Sig factory fairly often so no hazmat fees for me. Sig fuel is 50% caster 50% synthetic oil. It may be a bit more messy than the full synthetic fuel but as mentioned it runs very consistent.

Ken
Old 05-25-2017, 03:56 AM
thailazer

Thanks. Sig Champion fuel is good for sure and I got a free gallon at a contest years ago. Turns out FHS is still making the Red Max fuel I used in the past so will go that route. As posted earlier, they also only ship quarts to get around the hazmat charges.