Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Nitro fuel questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 07:02 PM
foolishspending
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro fuel questions

Just picked up 9 gallons of unopened Nitro Fuel and a couple additives and would like expert opinions of what I can use "as-is" or "modify" so I can safely use them in my new engines.
Fuels are:
3-gallons of Omega Competition Fuels "Large Super T" (pink)
2-gallons of Omega Competition Fuels "Super T" (pink)
1-gallon of Omega Competition Fuels 10% (pink)
1-gallon of Cool Power Competition Fuels 10% (green)
1-gallon of Red Max Super Fuel 12% (red)
1-gallon of Red Max Super Fuel 10% 4-cycle fuel (red)
Additives: Power Rev R/C Fuel Treatment and R/C 2-cycle oil
Engines are NIB so break-in also required:
Saito 120 4-stroke
OS FX .61 ABC BB 2-stroke
Royal .46 ABC BB 2-stroke
Tower Hobbies .46 ABC BB

Old 06-22-2019, 07:01 AM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the fuels are sealed, they might be ok. Do you have any idea how old they are? I used to use Red Max all the time but I thought they disappeared long ago

Saitos tend to like high nitro. 15% or higher, but check the manual

Here is what I would do, I am sure others will have different opinions. Some will say just toss the fuel

i would get a gallon of fresh fuel, 10 or 15 %. Break in and run the engines. Get a tach and make note of Rpms. Then try some of the fuels from this batch and see if you get similar performance. The big question is if these fuels have absorbed water.

The Saito and your BB engines probably have different break in procedures. Make sure you follow the directions

Let us know how it works out

bob
Old 06-22-2019, 08:02 AM
foolishspending

All the bottles have the red plugs in the bottles except the 10% green cool power and were in the cardboard shipping box. One bottle was cloudy and had oil separate out and was ballooned so did'nt take that one. I've been out of the hobby for 20 years and have never heard of the Large Super T or Super T. Have read on here that they are very likely OK if sealed and not exposed to sunlight. I'm not into very large engines or airplanes so if those can be used I'm guessing adding some Caster oil from my reading. I still have a gallon of Powermaster from 20 years ago as well. No idea as to the age but they do appear good.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:23 AM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

if you keep it in a cool dry place I have kept fuel 15 years and it ran as good or better than fresh fuel. the thing that makes fuel go bad is moisture, glow fuel will absorb it and if you get enough in the fuel it won't run very good.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:37 PM
foolishspending

With the fuels listed does anyone know what the oil type(s) and percentages are and also the nitro % of those not marked? And what is the difference between Omega Large Super T and Super T and are those practical to modify to run in my engines? From reading I'm likely to add some first press caster oil to all the fuels but how much as there are 6 different blends?
Thank you in advance.

Tony
Old 06-22-2019, 05:56 PM
BelAirBob

I wouldn’t add anything to the fuels especially if you dont know the original formula. If the fuels did pick up water, there is nothing you can do to remove it
Old 07-15-2019, 07:53 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

The Super T fuels are specially formulated for the large Super Tiger engines. They have between 0 and 5% nitro and I think around 10% oil. You could add some oil to them and make them useable but not the oil that you have. What you have is for gasoline. The rest of the fuels you have should be fine to run provided they have not previously been opened.