RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

leftover r/c car fuel

Old 04-08-2015, 06:04 AM
zx32tt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default leftover r/c car fuel

One of our club members has many gallons (as in 20-30) gallons of unopened r/c car glo fuel, and needs to dispose of it. Most of it is 30% nitro. Can it be used as is for aircraft glo engines, or would we need to add oil to it?
best regards,
Chuck
Old 04-08-2015, 06:41 AM
aspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Car fuel is usually around 12% oil. I would add some castor to it and thank him profusely for any that you can get. If you think the nitro is too high for your purposes, you could add some methanol and oil mixture to dilute it after. The smaller motors will love the 30%, but a bit of after run oil may be a good idea.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:09 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Adding enough oil to 30% nitro 12% oil fuel to bring it up to 20% oil will drop your nitro closer to 20% but will require a second jug. If you run European rngines designed for low nitro, you'll need to add a bunch of methanol to drop the nitro content further which may require adding more oil yet. You might be better off selling the fuel and buying the more proper fuel if the car fuel is in sealed unopened jugs.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:42 AM
earlwb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have used the car fuel before. You add more oil to bring up the oil content to 15% to 20%. With 1/2a engines it works great just like that. With bigger engines you may need to dilute it some to bring the nitromethane content down to a lower percentage. But that isn't difficult. There are several threads out there on the internet in the forums about doing just that too.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:46 AM
Fuelman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I guess this deal depends on what engines you have, what fuel you run now, how much fuel you use and what is your ability to add oils and methanol to make it suitable for your needs.......
Old 04-18-2015, 03:45 AM
zx32tt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for all the tips.
Chuck
Old 05-12-2015, 09:09 AM
flybyjohn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I ran the numbers through the calculator that I made on excel to figure fuel component percentages and if you added 12 oz of oil to 1 gallon of fuel with the initial starting quantities of 30% nitro and 12% oil, you would have 27% nitro and 20% oil. If you wanted to get the nitro down to 15% and have 20% oil content, you would need to find some Methanol. By adding 90 fl.oz. of methanol and 34 fl. oz. oil, to the initial gallon of fuel (30% nitro and 12% oil), you would end up with just about 2 gallons total fuel with 15% nitro and 20% oil. Now if you wanted to give me the numbers of the actual fuel percentages, and the percent synthetic vs castor, I can plug all that in and get you exactly what you need to add to get exactly what you want in the end.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:34 PM
zx32tt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow. Thanks for crunching the numbers. I currently have 3 gallons of the 30% nitro car fuel, and 32oz of SIG castor oil. Looks like I need to get some more oil, and methanol to make it worthwhile. 15% nitro is more than sufficient for my needs.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:25 PM
flybyjohn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Those numbers were assuming 12% oil content. You should check to see what it is before adding anything.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:01 PM
Jack_K

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You'd have to add oil and methanol to maintain the correct meth/nitro/oil ratio.

Search this Thread