RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

propolene oxide fuel additive

Old 04-05-2018, 07:51 PM
MrMotor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default propolene oxide fuel additive

Does anyone else use propolene oxide to have easier needle settings and better ignition in their glow engines? If so where are you able to purchase the product? Fox used to use it in their fuels and called it igniter on their fuel cans. For a while Brodak had it available in pint cans, but no longer sells it.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:37 PM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think there are some health concerns using it. Klotz used to sell it and they were very quiet about why they quit.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:41 AM
Dave Harmon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by MrMotor View Post
Does anyone else use propolene oxide to have easier needle settings and better ignition in their glow engines? If so where are you able to purchase the product? Fox used to use it in their fuels and called it igniter on their fuel cans. For a while Brodak had it available in pint cans, but no longer sells it.
I used it for quite a while.....it cost about $8.00 pint.
I don't know about any health concerns but I was not washing my hands or taking a bath in it either!
Occasionally I will use 1/2 oz of Acetone per gallon....much easier to find and I always have a gallon or so on the shelf.
It works almost as well as p/o.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:03 AM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Litre of it down the shed. I've inherited it from an old friend who was a Control Line Speed flyer. The rule of thumb was that you added 1% for every 10% of NitroMethane in your fuel. The way I understood it it helped the Nitro mix with the Castor Oil. At higher concentrations of Nitro the mixing of the two became a problem. Synthetic Oil Technology solved that problem, so I believe PO is no longer necessary. Also the AMA rules for C/L Speed flying now limit the maximum Nitro content to 10%. Everyone wins.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:42 AM
aspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So a bit less than 1/2% acetone works as an igniter? I have heard 2% but if 1/2% works as well, then it may be worth a try on some FAI type 0% fuel for some of the larger motors I have. I like the 10% fuel rule in control line speed events too. The 1/2A class was exempt from that rule for a while, but eventually went with it anyway. They seem to thrive on the nitro, but with some higher revs they work just as good with nearly the same speeds as the high nitro.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:39 PM
Dave Harmon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
So a bit less than 1/2% acetone works as an igniter? I have heard 2% but if 1/2% works as well, then it may be worth a try on some FAI type 0% fuel for some of the larger motors I have.
Yes....2% is far too much...might cause pre-ignition.
Occasionally I have started an engine without a battery at contests to distract competitors.....only 1/2 ounce is plenty.
Depending on the fuel and plug....acetone can improve the idle too.
Downunder will be popping up soon to repeat what I just said....LOL...
Old 09-08-2018, 03:39 PM
downunder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Dave Harmon View Post
Downunder will be popping up soon to repeat what I just said....LOL...
No he won't, well, maybe .
There's a fairly good read about various fuels including both acetone and propylene oxide at https://holdfastmac.asn.au/technical...l-about-fuels/
Way back when, just about everyone here in Oz used Shell A methanol which came with 3% acetone added to it. We had no complaints with it other than you could only buy it in their own prefilled 20 litre drums.