Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Propylene Oxide

Old 03-16-2013, 08:59 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Propylene Oxide

anyone know where i can buy this?

used in our high nitro fuels for Free Flight produce a mule kickin' fuel.......
Old 03-16-2013, 09:47 AM
ByLoudDesign

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Propylene Oxide

IF IT IS THE SAME STUFF USE BY AUTO RACERS YOU MIGHT START THERE!
Old 03-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: summerwind

anyone know where i can buy this?

used in our high nitro fuels for Free Flight produce a mule kickin' fuel.......
Yep....go to race or fuel shops in Fresno. If they don't have it they will likely know where to get it.
I used it for years when I lived in the LA area but the EPA may have killed it.
It does not make more power but it DOES make engines easier to start and especially improves the idle when using cold or low nitro fuel....or FAI fuel.
If you find some prop locally do NOT add more than 1oz per gallon of mixed glo fuel.
It is very volatile and too much will advance the timing of a glow engine and cause detonation on a higher compression engine.
If you are looking for power....add nitro....not prop.

Eventually.....I switched to using acetone for easier starting and improved idle.
It's cheap and readily available anywhere.....unlike prop which was expensive....like $8 a pint back in the 80's.
Use acetone only 1oz per gallon but again.....it does not make more pwer....add nitro for that.
Have fun.....

Old 04-08-2013, 08:56 AM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red Max sells it. Or used to. I got a gallon of it from them in the late 90s. A friend decided that he was going to drop by on a detour (he had work in DC) and pick up a 30 gallon drum of stunt fuel. I'd found some free flight 1/2-A recipes in a magazine, he contacted Red Max and they agreed to mix me up a couple gallons. Lots of nitro, some propylene oxide, and a little amyl acetate if I recall correctly. I suspect they use these things in certain fuel mixes they make. Also had him bring back a gallon of propylene oxide while he was at it.

The Jet Speed people used to use it in Dynajets - the fuel they used was pure nitro, the problem was it could be difficult to ignite, so they mixed some propylene oxide in with it. If I recall correctly, they also ran a beginner's class, where the fuel was pure propylene oxide. Different rules these days, I forget what the mandated fuel is.

Iskandar