Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Home-brew Diesel Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 10:40 AM
Motorboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Home-brew Diesel Fuel

Joe...

It is not sure a pure ignition improver as IPN, mostly as cleaner for diesel injector/pump equipment and some extra to example reduce soot etc etc.

Jens Eirik
Old 12-16-2004, 05:35 PM
sajjad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used and made my own Diesel fuel for a long time.
I used one part of each - Ether Anaesthetic, Kerosene Oil and any common motor oil. (5W30 etc)
A little more Ether makes starting easier and is recommended but I never had any problems with the one part each ratios. In case you need to store the fuel for a long time, add a little more Ether. Amyl Nitrate is not necessary but may be used. Avoid medicinal Castor oil as it will break up under compression and cause excess engine wear.
Ether is available from stores that supply Laboratories and Hospitals. Use it in a ventilated area only.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:32 AM
ghost123uk

ORIGINAL: sajjad

I have used and made my own Diesel fuel for a long time.
I used one part of each - Ether Anaesthetic, Kerosene Oil and any common motor oil. (5W30 etc)
A little more Ether makes starting easier and is recommended but I never had any problems with the one part each ratios. In case you need to store the fuel for a long time, add a little more Ether. Amyl Nitrate is not necessary but may be used. Avoid medicinal Castor oil as it will break up under compression and cause excess engine wear.
Ether is available from stores that supply Laboratories and Hospitals. Use it in a ventilated area only.
With the greatest respect sajjad, most engine manufactures (PAW, ST, Olly T, etc etc) say do not use common motor oil as it is not designed to be burnt, as happens in a 2 stroke motor. Amy Nitrate or IPN etc is required for any high performance motor to make it run smooth and produce the power the makers designed into it.

Re Castor oil, I believe medicinal castor is fine, tho I now use motor racing Castor, for over 20 years I used medicinal Castor in my PAW's (plain bearing and BR's) ST's etc, and have never had to replace any moving parts in any of them.

Here in the UK Anaesthetic Ether would be very expensive, we use "solvent grade" Ether, just fine

The following is snipped from the PAW site at =
http://www.progress.charitydays.co.uk/instruct.htm

14. HOME MIXED FUELS (mix oil-ether-paraffin and additive)

** Mix fuel outdoors - Take all necessary precautions - No naked lights **

Castor Oil
Paraffin
Ether
Iso Propyl Nitrate or
similar ignition improver

Running in

Castor Oil 30%
Paraffin 35%
Ether 33%
Iso Propyl Nitrate or similar ignition improver 2%

Fully run in

Castor Oil 25%
Parafin 40%
Ether 33%

Fully run in - BR Models

Castor Oil 20%
Parafin 48%
Ether 30%

Fully run in- TBR only (Racing and Speed)

Castor Oil 15%
Parafin 50%
Ether 32-33%
Iso Propyl Nitrate or similar ignition improver 2-3%

End snip - JB

I agree though that on a large, mild, converted glow motor, (as this post started with !!) turning a big prop, your brew will work ok.

Where in our world are you my friend ?
Old 12-17-2004, 04:38 AM
ghost123uk

@ Jens Eirik

All chemical liquids with last word Nitirite, Nitrate, Peroxide can you use as ignition improver.
"100 grade" Hydrogen Peroxide - [sm=sunsmiley.gif]
Old 12-17-2004, 10:22 AM
knarF

Sure about that ?

Hydrogen peroxide is very easy to get.

Knarf
Old 12-18-2004, 10:27 AM
wvarn1957
My Feedback: (3)

Don't even think about Hydeogen Peroxide. First off, the readily available stuff is only 3 to 5% Hyderogen peroxide in water. If you wer succesful in obtaining high strength peroxide, adding it to the fuel mix would most likely initiate a violent fire. Pure Hydrogen peroxide is very dangerous stuff. I saw a spill of about 100 gallons of the peroxide on an asphalt pad and the asphalt caught on fire.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:07 AM
knarF

Thats what I thought too...

Some serious pun intended i guess
Old 12-20-2004, 04:19 AM
ghost123uk

Sorry - My reference to putting Hydrogen Peroxide in model Diesel fuel was meant to be a joke [sm=lol.gif]
Old 12-20-2004, 05:42 AM
ghost123uk

Might be good for Pulse jets tho - H2O2 + LOX + Av Gas - ummm [:@]

English humour !!
Always poking fun at a potentially horrid situation
Old 02-22-2005, 01:27 PM
mikenlapaz

Just getting interested in 2 stroke compression engines (2SCE). I would like to know why acetone could not be substituted for the ether in these home brew fuels. The Air/Fuel mixture seems close both in 9.5-10.5:1 range; acetone has lower BTU/lb (12500 vs 15000); Flash and Boiling points are they a consideration?

Educate me.
Thanks
Old 02-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Motorboy

ORIGINAL: mikenlapaz

Just getting interested in 2 stroke compression engines (2SCE). I would like to know why acetone could not be substituted for the ether in these home brew fuels. The Air/Fuel mixture seems close both in 9.5-10.5:1 range; acetone has lower BTU/lb (12500 vs 15000); Flash and Boiling points are they a consideration?

Educate me.
Thanks
We need ether to lower ignition temperature, therefore it ignite easier than pure kerosene in compression temperature. Ether has ignition temperature at 188 C degree. Ether helping to ignite kerosene who has higher BTU than Ether.

Acetone has ignition tempetature at 465 C degree, can not ignite in the engine with compression temperature. Also unuseful...

Jens Eirik
Old 02-27-2005, 09:00 AM
Crane

After reading all of your learned comments on fuel I checked out the local Wal-Mart. The only starter fluid I found was in a spray can. Is the John Deere product in liquid form?
Old 02-27-2005, 09:45 AM
Motorboy

ORIGINAL: Crane

After reading all of your learned comments on fuel I checked out the local Wal-Mart. The only starter fluid I found was in a spray can. Is the John Deere product in liquid form?
Yes, these start gas spray can has liquid Diethyl ether. I has tried "Turtle Wax" start gas can and works well.

Jens Eirik
Old 02-27-2005, 11:05 AM
Crane

I assume that you spray it into a container until you get enough to measure and then add it to the fuel. Must take a while to get enough for 30%.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:59 PM
Jack Hiner

John Deere starting fluid is in a spray can and claims to be 80% ether. I take the can outside after shaking it up and hold it upside down to spray out all the propelant. Then put the can in a freezer for a couple hours. Take outside and with a hammer and a nail make two holes in oposite corners of the top of the can. One hole to pour out the liquid and the other a breather hole. Pour into a container and you should get about 8 ounces. Remember only 80% oth the 8 ounces is ether, count the remaining 20% as kerosene, at least I do. I like to mix any fuel up in the winter outside on a cold day. Make sure no one is smoking nearby. Go on Google to find a John Deer dealer near you and call to see if the fluid is in stock.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:16 PM
Jack Hiner

A few years back one of my flying buddies was placing an order from Red Max for a gallon of glow fuel and a gallon of diesel fuel. He asked me if I was in need for some fuel and we could save a bit on shipping if we ordered 4 gallons. Red Max will do custom fuel mixing. I ordered two gallons of 50% kerosene and 50% ether, no castor or ignition improver. This way you can add what ever percentage of oil you need for a particular motor and add kerosene as needed. Ignition improver is available from Doctor Diesel (Eric Clutton) and a pint will last for many years. Eric is normally at the Toledo R/C show in early April selling diesel fuel and such. Actually it is much easier to just order ready made diesel fuel here in the USA. I have used Red Max, Aerodyne and Doctor diesel's mixes thru the years with no problems. Davis also sells diesel fuel here in the USA.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:49 AM
Crane

Jack,

Thanks for the detailed response. Now i understand and I will give it a try.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:16 AM
glmmeyers

Andy -- Just curious -- did you ever try the Queen bee .074 conversion to .09 . I call it the "King Bee" It makes a super 09 and the only thing you really need to change is to add a bronze bushing to the Con Rod and be sure to use the 09 glow head.

Gary
Old 02-28-2005, 05:53 PM
alymcleod

Hi fellow diesel heads. I have 5 PAW's (all TBR's) and have been using them on 33% fuel. Ive tried to get somebody to ship me some IPN from the UK but without success. What other uses does it have other than starting EE Lightnings????? so that I may be able to get a few litres over here in sunny SPAIN.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:10 AM
downunder

Not that I can add much because it's sooooooo long since I've used a diesel but I've been reading through this and seen references to using MEKP. Be very careful handling it (whether in fuels or fibre glassing) because it's extremely dangerous if you get any in your eyes. When I was in the air force there was a safety note came out about it saying that you had about 5 seconds to start flushing your eyes with water before it blinded you. So if you get an itchy eye, resist the temptation to rub it until you've washed your hands.

IPN....I remember giving away a gallon of it. It's a mono-propellant and was used as the fuel in the starter motor for the engine used in the Australian Sabre aircraft (Rolls Royce Avon Mk26). It's also shock sensitive (to what extent I don't know and never wanted to find out ) but when used in the Sabre, all lines had to transition from smaller to larger to avoid any hydraulic shock in the connections. Does anyone know what other uses it has?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Raybow

Hi
Hydrogen Peroxide is this better than MEKP? basically i would like to know other than Amyl Nitrate /Nitrate which Product is the best to use?

Regards

Ray

[email protected]
Old 03-03-2005, 04:11 AM
ghost123uk

The references to Hydrogen Peroxide have been, as far as I am concerned, mentioned as a joke.
The Hydrogen Peroxide that is available to the public is mostly water and the "pure" stuff as used in labs and as a rocket propellent, is far too dangerous to use.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:23 AM
downunder

Pure hydrogen peroxide will turn your model into a blonde bombshell
Old 03-03-2005, 09:12 AM
ghost123uk

Goes off to find some...

My post at
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2450165
still makes me smile.

On a serious note for Ray though - It seems that IPN ( Iso Propyl Nitrate) is the more commonly available ignition improver and is fairly safe to use. Just mix it in a well ventilated place with no naked flames any where near. Don't use more than 4% - 2% being the norm.
I wonder if you can get that where you are ?
Old 03-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Raybow

Hi
Regarding IPN i have place an order with a Technical Science company to supply.

Ray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.