Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

COX .049 plane engine Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:36 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: COX .049 plane engine Fuel

I wonder why they do not recommend their racing fuel in their RTR? They all have the same basic construction?? Maybe it was the fuel proofness of their plastics in their toys?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:12 PM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jetpack

I wonder why they do not recommend their racing fuel in their RTR? They all have the same basic construction?? Maybe it was the fuel proofness of their plastics in their toys?
I didn't realize Cox fuels were even being manufactured anymore. Is Cox fuel being sold again? The extra nitro would cause the decals to come off, but the oil alone would do that. I would imagine they didn't recommend it because of how it made needle valve settings more tricky.... a lean run on 35% nitro would cook the RTR, or any Cox engine.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:26 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Nope, no longer made. Just old ad's I've collected to show how they played with the formula. I always thought it had been castor because when I had stopped as a youngster it still was, but now able to look back at the years i've missed I seen they had used synthetics for a period. Seems like the time just before being sold off to Leisure Dynamics. Probably to help lower cost, and appeal to other fuel users.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:22 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

IIRC the old Missile Mist in the purple can was 25% nitro and 25% castor? That was back in the 70's. We raced Upstarts with TD's using MM and 5x3 gray props... a real nice combination at the time.

I remember trying some Fox 40/40 thinking "oh boy, this oughta be great"...but...I guess it was a little too much. Another factor though might have been that at 14 or 15 yrs. old, I used to lean 'er right out to peak...(didn't know any better back then )
Old 01-26-2010, 06:52 PM
mig3

Hello,

I had met a "old timer' at Warrick Hobbies in Fort Lauderdale ( on Peters Road in Plantation, FL ) when I lived there and he told me Norvel fuel ( whoever makes it ) had always made the fuel for COX = 25% nitro. So I bought a bottle to teach my Godson to fly on a COX PT-19 and it ran like a champ and it even smelled the cox fuel we had bought as kids. I ran it in my small Norvell's, Brodak .049, McCoy on a testors P-40 and many other COX models a like a P-40 Warhawk.

The bottle is a quart size and says "norvel" on the bottle.

it is available in 25% and 30%.

I know they Warrick hobbies still carries it there.

you might also check "SIG manufacturing online since they sell the Norvell .40 RC airplane engine.

IF you can't find any; I have some here and you are welcome to it,

Let me know,

Danioel
MIG3
Old 01-26-2010, 07:03 PM
mig3

don't mind Miss LOUGHBD, he IS a "know it all", but knows absolutelly nothing when it comes to this hobby, it's fuel's or engines, especially OS!

MIG3
Old 01-26-2010, 07:05 PM
mig3

Norvel 25% as I said before was made for COX,

here is a link with a picture of the bottle at SIG manufacturing.

http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/NVL0715.html

You can get some there.

Daniel
MIG3
Old 01-26-2010, 11:15 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S&W will blend fuel to your specifications. www.s-whobby.com I expect they can ship a pint or a quart without incurring the hazardous shipment fee. Not like anyone needs gallons of fuel for an .049.

I have an old Sig line-control model that uses a Cox .049. It has been 10 years since I flew it but I'm thinking of giving it a try. I'll probably get dizzy. fall on my rear and crash the plane.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:52 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

ORIGINAL: mig3

don't mind Miss LOUGHBD, he IS a ''know it all'', but knows absolutelly nothing when it comes to this hobby, it's fuel's or engines, especially OS!

MIG3
Well, we don't need to worry about banned members, http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...=1&memid=80142
RCU keeps it clean. But I can't lie about Bruce's knowledge, he knows more about the hobby than nothing, give a man credit where it's due. He is actually pretty sharp, mods would agree. I learned from him.

That wasn't his problem, his problem buried this quality pretty deep though. There is no need to flame him back. He gave away a lot of plans, instructions, and I enjoyed a set of Magician .15 plans I couldn't find anywhere but through him once upon a time.

He was just really rough on correcting people if it wasn't his way of doing it. "More than one way to skin a cat", must have been missed in his Navy training I suppose.
His final stroke was just going way too far.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:41 AM
ARCTICRCFUELS

Default 1/2A fuels

My name is Jim. I operate ARCTIC RC FUELS. I can blend all the fuels mentioned above. We use the best Nitro, castor oil, racing methanol and synthetic oil made. I make custom blends for air, car end boat. find be on eBay or call 9017-262-6762.