Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Castor Oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 03:54 AM
Ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Castor Oil ?

I buy my fuel from Morgan. They offer :
All Castor
All Synthetic, and a
Blend of 50% castor & 50% synthetic.

Where in R/C would a person use fuel containing All Castor ? ? ?

I haven't used all castor as a lubricant since my U Control days. Does this have a place in R/C, or is it just marketed for the
U Control flyers ? ? ?
Old 01-18-2002, 04:05 AM
Fuelman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default All Castor

There are still a few all castor R/C fliers out there. For one, any lapped iron piston/sleeve engine (Fox's lapped 40's, some of the older Enya lapped engines, etc) will run nicely with all castor. I like a heavy castor content when breaking in an ABC/ABN engine.

I'll be in Tucson in two weeks, want to meet up?
Any races, swap meets or anything going on between 3 and 15 Feb?

Fuelman
Old 01-18-2002, 07:32 PM
Ed

Default Castor

Hi Fuelman: I have a couple of close friends who use the all castor mix in their ringed engines, and they seem to be plagued with inconsistant running. I was just wondering if the all castor could be contributing to their problem.

Will you be coming to Tucson on business, or pleasure ? We fly 52 weeks a year down here ya know. Maybe you'd like to drive over to our field for a visit ?
Old 01-19-2002, 12:20 AM
Fuelman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Great!

Jim,
The all castor fuel may be gumming up the ring with time and causing inconsistant running. After break in, for ringed engines, I recommend a low percentage of castor (2%) this provides a measure of corrosion protection for the bearings and enough cushion for the rod and wrist pin and enough scuff protection for the cylinder/ring. The remaining oil (18%) should be a high quality synthetic such as that from DOW or Klotz. This recommendation is for any ringed engine including 4-strokes. Just a little castor for ringed engines adds a lot of benefit over an all synthetic. The high degree of synthetic will not gum up the ring and ring land in either 2 or 4 strokes. The small percentage of castor is'nt enough to gum up rings or valves. In any case with a ringed engine a higher percentage of castor is not a bad idea during break in. I would never consider using more than 4% castor (following break in) for long term use, gumming up of the ring could occur. I always recommend 20% total oil.

I'll be in Tucson on business for two weeks, privatly e-mail me and I'll give you the details and we can exchange numbers. I'll be on the south end of town at the base. See if any events, swap meets etc are going on.

Later on

Fuelman
Old 01-21-2002, 03:39 AM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

Default Castor oil

Hi Pilots,
when I run my OS.91 D/F engines and Rossi.90 D/f engines-I will add 8 ozs. of castor to a gallon of fuel-the engines run good and the expensive piston and sleeve don't wear out like they do on straight synthectic oil-plus no more rusted bearings.

Jackjet
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1331_406.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1535