Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

byron with O.S. 4-strokes

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 05:00 PM
AeroFinn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default byron with O.S. 4-strokes

Hello everyone!

I would like to hear from your experiences on Byron fuels with your O.S. or other brand four-stroke engines.

I recently heard that since Byron is mixing their blend by weight, not volume, their 4-stroke blend contains only about 14% of oil if measured by volume. This is far less than what is the manufacturer's (O.S.) recommendation 18%+

So what are your experiences or thoughts? Have you had any bad experiences, such as peeling camshaft plating or broken valves, or other engine related problems that might have occurred because of inappropriate lubrication?

thanks & best regards
Old 08-18-2008, 06:32 AM
AeroFinn

Default RE: byron with O.S. 4-strokes

Ok..

Pretty much the fact nobody hasn't said anything about his / her experiences leads me think maybe there are not many users of Byron with 4-strokes out there..

Old 08-18-2008, 08:21 AM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't respond at first because it appeared to me that the main concern of your inquiry pertained to Byron's performance in "OS" four strokes. I know you mentioned "other" engines as well but I took the question as mainly looking for info on OS four strokes with Byron's fuel. (I don't own any OS four strokes) I have run Byron's fuels for many years and actually prefer it to some of the other brands out there. My reasons have nothing to do with oil content. I just like the way it performs. I've also never had a single engine problem in the time frame that I have been running Byron's. I have no affiliation with any fuel manufacturer and am just a flier who's been in the hobby for upwards of 40 years. My experience with Byron's comes through my Saito four strokes and my 80 is over 25 years old with not a single problem. It has had many different types of fuel run through it including Byron's. My Saito 91 was run almost exclusively on Byron's before being converted to gasoline/spark ignition. According to Bill Robison in the Saito notes fuel containing some castor oil is preferred because of the special needs of the camshaft. I have found castor to be a good thing in my experience. Each will have his or her own opinion and these are just mine, good luck and happy flying.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:11 PM
AeroFinn

Jezmo,

Thanks for your input. This is just what I apprciate, real world expereinces from amateur sport flyers. I have just got back to the hobby after about a 20 years break and fuels have developped so much since I was flying in the 80s..( the fuel I run was mostly straight 80/20 methanol / castor oil own blend)

So I am trying to learn from others' experiences as well as go through manufacturers' specifications. The LHS in my area stocks mostly Cool Power and Byron, and I am trying to find out the pros and cons of the both brands. What I have learned so far is Cool Power is more expensive, and does not contain any castor oil. However, according to various sources it seems the oil content by volume is 17% in Cool Power and about 14% in Byron. Morgan's Omega is not in stock at my LHS.

So I am wondering weather just run Cool Poer in my 4-strokes as it comes from the jug, or take Byron 4-stroke blend and add some 5-6 oz good quality oil to make it contain about 17-18% total oil.

The final price would be about the same / gallon and I am not so price sensitive. Just trying to find out which of these two alternatives, Byron or Coool Power might be the safest solution in the long run for a sunday 4-stroke flyer as I am, referring to possible accidental lean runs for instance. Nevertheless, I would not like to have way too much oil in the fuel as I think it might have negative effects on the transition as well as idling.

so, decisions, decisions..

thanks again