Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Fuel Additives

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 07:04 PM
Skidd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Additives

Hello All,

I'm new to R/C aircraft so I'm green on anything and everything. I have seen a magazine article about fuel additives and was wondering what is the makeup of 2-stroke fuel that we use for glow engines? Does fuel (I use 10%) have additives specifically for engine lubrication or should I buy an oil to add to my fuel? If so, can you recommend an additive if any?

Many Thanks!
Steven
Old 02-18-2002, 09:24 PM
Ed Smith

Default Fuel Additives

If you are new to R/C stay away from messing about with fuel. If you are buying quality fuel from your LHS it has every thing you need in it.

Ed S
Old 02-18-2002, 09:31 PM
Skidd

Default Thanks

This is I wanted to know....thanks!

Steven
Old 02-21-2002, 12:28 AM
DLT
My Feedback: (48)

Default Additives

ED is correct....HOWEVER my last two engine purchases (2 stroke) are calling for preferbly 20% oil content so I already use a good brand of fuel like Wildcat 10 % (18% oil) nitro with 80% of the oil content being synthetic and the other 20 % being castor. After having said all that I simply am adding 3.2 oz. of Klotz Techniplate to each gallon and my engines are loving it....they seem to be running a little cooler and still maintain high RPM. Hope this helps.
Old 03-17-2002, 10:58 PM
A10FLYER

Default Fuel Additives

A great, safe additive is adding one squirt of Armoral, the stuff you clean your car dashboard with, to one gallon of glow fuel.
The Armoral breaks the surface tension of the fuel and makes it impossible to get fuel foaming. It doesn't hurt your engine at all and doesn't leve any residue on your plane. The only way you know you have added it is because you fuel will never foam. It's as easy as open the gallon, squirt, close the gallon and give it a shake. There ya go, foam free fuel!
Old 03-18-2002, 01:59 AM
downunder-RCU

Default Fuel Additives

As was said, if you buy a quality fuel from the LHS you'll be fine..the trick is how do you know if it's a quality fuel? The only way is to read the label carefully, mainly to find out how much and what kind of oil is used.
I'm not familiar with American fuels but it seems some don't say the amount of oil (don't buy it) or that it's mixed by weight (don't buy it). For long engine life you really need at least 20% oil and preferably half should be castor. From what I've read here most of the American fuels are about 18% oil so do yourself a favour and get some modelling castor (not drugstore castor) to add to the LHS fuel. Don't worry if you go over 20%, you'll never notice the difference.
The only other additives if you wish are Armorall (as already mentioned) and about 3% acetone. The acetone will make it run a little smoother, give less kick back on a 4 stroke and reduces the rate that the fuel absorbs water from the air. These two are just optional extras
Old 04-15-2002, 06:01 PM
JoanC

Default Fuel Additives

This Armorall you are talking about I suppose it is a commercial brand. What component does it have to help against foaming?
Old 04-15-2002, 09:00 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Fuel Additives

Armorall has Silicone in it. It will break down the surface tension of whatever it is mixed with.

Some people on RCONLINE a year ago were contending that it would cause a white accumulation on your glow plug and eventually cause it to fail.

But I think one squirt in a gallon couldn't do much harm? Actually, all it takes is like one drop to do the job.

Good luck,

Jim