Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

how to get start on make your own nitro gas

I know i need methanol and some oil to add it in what type of oil is need? This is my first time making my own gas need help is welcome thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: how to get start on make your own nitro gas

Gas? It's not gas. The simplest formulation is 80% methanol and 20% oil by volume. That is for a gallon 25.6 ounces of oil and the remainder is methanol. I suggest going to the Sig, Fox Manufacturing (you need to call for the castor oil), or Morgans (again you will need to call). You can also try Klotz but IMO it is overpriced.
    Glow Head Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

so i need castor oil to mix in with methanol 25.6 oz of it per gallon thats it. then put it in the traxxas in it will run.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

is this the oil for skin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu60466.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	671879  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chances are you will be disappointed with the results of that fuel in that engine. 20% Castor would be too much in a car engine. Most car engines will recommend 20% nitromethane. most car fuels are blended with mainly synthetic lubes and some castor.

Take the time to browse the threads in this forum that are titled "home brew" or "making glow fuel" it gets repeated many times. The easiest thing to do is to find out what the manufacturer recommends for your engine and mix that.
    Greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That castor oil is likely cut with other oils or is a lower grade. I wasn't refering to just castor oil either. Here is a link to Sigs oil's.

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV4.html?E+Sig

However, you will find Morgans cheaper, at least for the synthetic, give them a call.

http://www.morganfuel.com/homebrew.htm

Then there is also Fox Manufacturing, but you will have to call to have all of their products available.

http://www.foxmanufacturing.com/inde...ort=20a&page=2

They will also sell you castor oil, but it is not on their web site. Possibly other synthetics as well.

Glow Head Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

let me know what i need to make my own fuel where to buy oils. I was looking at some forms and was reading the people use methanol 85% and castor oil 15% and no nitro is that right? i need to go find methanol and castor oil and mix them together and you got fuel.. I need help on geting this the fuel that i use is $30 a Gal. the person the i saw the 85% 15%oil he posted that he made a gal of fuel for 8.00 gal without nitro.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Traxxas web site only states nitromethane percentages (10, 20, or 33%), and does not disclose the amount of oil they put in their fuel.
    Trinity puts 8% oil in one blend and 12% in another
    Ritch's Brew puts 12% oil in their car fuels
    Wildcat puts 14% in theirs

If you want maximum power and shorter engine life, use little oil. If want maximum engine life, with less power, use more oil.

Some motorcycle and go-kart shops sell two-cycle oil that is compatible with methanol. They might also be a source for methanol and nitromethane.

In the Dallas area we're lucky to have several hobby shops, and premade fuel is not too expensive. I know a couple of local drag racers who buy methanol and nitromethane by the drum. Even at bulk price, I'd save very little by making my own fuel.

I just saw that the fuel you use is $30 per gallon. The local price for methanol and nitromethane (from VP race fuel distributors) varies by quantity but Methanol was around $3.00 per gallon and nitromethane was around $40.00 per gallon last time I asked. I've never priced oil at a motorcycle shop.
    - Carrell

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One source of oil is SIG:
    http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV4.html?E+Sig
    Click "Field Equipment" > "Fuel Ingredients" > "Fuel-Oil"
    They have Baker's castor and Klotz synthetic
    Castor is $19.99 per gallon
    Synthetic is $38.99 per gallon
    - Carrell

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gkamysz
    20% Castor would be too much in a car engine.
    I can't speak for all car engines but my son (on my advice) uses 20% all castor in his Mach 28. Initially this was for running in and it worked perfectly well without any nitro either. He's since stayed with that fuel for racing where it did very well but we've now raised the compression to make it more suitable for zero nitro. A few of the guys using 25% nitro have asked him to modify their heads because he was beating them .

So far he's only run a couple of gallons through the engine so it's much too soon to know how long it'll last. All he knows is that it's still running the same as it did after being run in.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: downunder

20% Castor would be too much in a car engine.
    I can't speak for all car engines but my son (on my advice) uses 20% all castor in his Mach 28. Initially this was for running in and it worked perfectly well without any nitro either. He's since stayed with that fuel for racing where it did very well but we've now raised the compression to make it more suitable for zero nitro. A few of the guys using 25% nitro have asked him to modify their heads because he was beating them .

So far he's only run a couple of gallons through the engine so it's much too soon to know how long it'll last. All he knows is that it's still running the same as it did after being run in.
    This individual doesn't know what is in fuel so I didn't think he would be into modifiying an engine to run FAI fuel. That's interesting that it runs so well. How does the throttling compare to 25% nitro? Is he still using the stock plug?
    Greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I wasn't suggesting that he modify it because we only did that to take better advantage of zero nitro fuel for racing. It ran perfectly well before it was modified with easy starts and instant pickup so I see no need to go to expensive car fuels to begin with. The mod involved machining the head because taking out shims just isn't anywhere near enough.

It was a little slower in racing before we upped the compression (naturally) but now it performs as well as any other with the same car/engine combination using 25% nitro and less oil. Coming out of a slow corner onto the main straight side by side with another car they're pretty much dead level all the way to the end. That indicates low speed torque is equal and high end HP is the same. Throttling is instant with no hesitation at all. A big difference is that he runs 8 minutes on a tank while the others run 6 minutes. I can't be sure about the glowplug because I don't know if it was fitted with one from new but I know that after nearly 2 gallons he finally had to put a new one in it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks for the info i going to find some methanol if i can't get is wild cat fuel good? thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JL2006
    thanks for the info i going to find some methanol if i can't get is wild cat fuel good? thanks
    Yes, it is good.
    - Carrell

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i saw cool power fuel 10% nitro at my local hobby shop and the guy there told not get that fuel for the traxxas because it had to much oil in it is he right are can i use that oil in the traxxas it was 16.99 gallon traxxas top fuel 20% nitro gallon 25.99 is better to go with same thing are make your own?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

guy there told not get that fuel for the traxxas because it had to much oil in it is he right
    He's wrong. Unless you go to ridiculous levels of oil then it makes no difference as far as power goes. The fastest engines in the world use 20% all castor and run flat out the whole time, they don't have the benefit of throttles. If you can get Coolpower then you should be able to get Omega as well which is a better fuel because it has some castor in it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: downunder

guy there told not get that fuel for the traxxas because it had to much oil in it is he right
    He's wrong. Unless you go to ridiculous levels of oil then it makes no difference as far as power goes. The fastest engines in the world use 20% all castor and run flat out the whole time, they don't have the benefit of throttles. If you can get Coolpower then you should be able to get Omega as well which is a better fuel because it has some castor in it.
    The fastest engines in the world are forced by rulebooks to use 20% oil. If they had a choice I'm pretty sure other fuel mixes would pop up. Consider F2C (diesel) where typical mixes are 10-12% oil and air/fuel ratio is half of methanol.

But again for a sport engine, there is no need to reduce oil content to a minimum.
    Greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The fastest engines in the world are forced by rulebooks to use 20% oil.
    Yes they're forced to by the FAI rules but they are still the fastest engines in the world. I was trying to make a point about the LHS guy saying plane fuel had too much oil for a car engine. What he most likely meant is that there's a much bigger mark up on car fuels but he's not going to say that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Downunder the model car industry has programed the thought that car engines " are disposible" ( this would never fly in aircraft world) 8 to 12% oil and wonder why thwy wear, outstanding idea on FAI . Its going further, Davis is working on diesel heads for them now torque fuel economy, cooler running long lived what a surprise martin

correction davis has some car heads already

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Model car engines dont run at WOT as much and long as planes do either.

Oil is good, but you can have too much.

I tried running powermasters YS/20-20 (20% nitro 20% oil) in my cars just to see and they did not perform near as well as when I ran the 20% Nitro car formula in them.
    Club Saito #540

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey, our whole (model airplane) club run their engines on fuel using 12% and we've had nothing but *great* results with no failures and a marked improvement in power outputs, idle, transition and general handling of the engines being used.

Of course we're not using Morgans or Klotz oils -- I wouldn't run them at such a low ratio.