Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

electric fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 02:54 PM
rxAxilleas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric fuel pump

hi,
i am thinking of buying an electric pump for my field box.
i saw hobbico at about 15$, sulivan at 15 , sig at 30$ and h9 at 17$
any sugestions please?
i dont want any leaks or electric problems to start a fire...

thanks very much
achilles
Old 06-05-2007, 06:47 PM
aa2dd

Default RE: electric fuel pump

don't get the Sig ..... it's a pig!!!!!

Bruce
Old 06-05-2007, 09:38 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay away from electric fuel pumps if at all possible. guaranteed you will get a face full of fuel at some point when the fuel line pops off and sprays everywhere before you can turn it off. Most of the guys at my field don't use them for that reason.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:04 AM
xlr82v2
My Feedback: (1)

For electric fuel pumps, just remember that if you get a cheap electric pump, then you've got a cheap electric pump. I've tried a lot of them, from cheapo electric windshield washer pumps to Cadillac of them all, the Slimline Boxxer. The Boxxer is a nice electric pump, and in my experience, of the ones I've tried, by far the nicest of them all. It's very quiet, pumps fairly quickly, and when you stop the pump, the fuel stops flowing, unlike some of the other pumps. It will prime itself instantly, even with a nearly empty jug of fuel (this was a real problem with some of the cheap (and not so cheap) gear type pumps that I've had). So far, I have yet to find a fault with it, honest.

As for manual fuel pumps, I don't think you can't beat the Dave Brown Six Shooter. Used one (the same one) for YEARS, from 1982 when I started flying, up to about 5 years ago when I upgraded to a bigger electric flight box with a power panel, and MANY MANY MANY gallons of fuel. All the good qualities of the Boxxer, except it's armstrong powered

Slimline Boxxer-- About $50 (I paid 48.95 at my LHS about a year ago.)

DB Six Shooter-- $10 probably (I think I paid 9.95 for mine back in about 1982). Maybe the price has gone up in the last 25 years, I don't know. Whatever the price is, I think it's the best manual pump out there, bar none.

Both are peristaltic pumps.

Either one is excellent... If you want to go electric, I'd highly recommend that you spend the $ in the beginning and go with the Slimline Boxxer instead of what I did and try a bunch of other "cheaper" electric pumps before getting a good one. Only the rich can afford cheap equipment.

Oh, and you should NEVER have the FILL direction (and IMHO the defuel direction also) of your electric pump wired to a switch that can be left ON unattended... that's just asking for trouble, even though unfortunately this is how most of the power panels are built. The FILL direction should be on a momentary switch that you have to hold continuously. Then if you have a problem all you have to do is release the switch and the flow of fuel stops. You should never turn your back on a running fuel pump, no matter which direction you're moving fuel, IMHO.

Good luck on your fuel handling quest!
Old 06-22-2007, 02:43 AM
rxAxilleas

hi,
thanks for the help Brian.i ordered a few days ago from towers a sullivan pump for 15$ i think.i dont received it yet and dont know if it is a good one.you have absolute right about the switch. it is very easy to make a mistake and leave it "on" all the time. since i am new to pumps i am thinking of the posibility of fire.electricity and fuels dont seem wright together.
have you got any info on that? is it posible to cach fire if accidentaly short cirquit the motor or overheats? (parhaps due to forgoten swich to "on" position.)
thanks very much
achilles.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:29 AM
xlr82v2

Fire is not likely as long as the pump doesn't leak, which is what happens to most of the cheaper gear type pumps... they start to leak around the motor shaft seals, or in the pump body itself. Then, if you get fuel in the motor, along with electricity, then it's anybody's guess as to what can happen. That being said, I've seen a lot of pumps leak, but I have never seen one catch on fire, yet. Hopefully I never do.

If you're really that concerned with the fire hazard, then I would go with a manual pump. That would be the lowest risk option for you. But, like I said earlier, I've never seen a flight box catch on fire, yet, out of my 25 years flying RC airplanes. I've never seen an engine fire yet as well, for that matter. And that's where you're trying to get the fuel burning

All in all, I would say, from my experience, that as long as you stick with glow fuel, the fire risk is very, very low, even with an electric pump. Assuming that all of your wiring on your flight box is safe (no exposed wires, good tight connections, etc.) If you twist wires together and then wrap them with duct tape, well, all bets are off, if you know what I mean.

As far as short circuits, any time you have a 12 volt lead acid battery (either wet or sealed gel cell), a short circuit could make for an exciting event. Wires can get hot and burn very quickly. It's a very good idea to put a fuse in your flight box electrical system. I've got a 30 amp fuse protecting my box electrics. A 20 amp fuse might even be sufficient... I don't really know. With the starter at full stall (as it would be when cranking an engine and stopped against compression) and the power panel running the glow plug driver, I'm sure that it's getting close to 20-30 amps load through the wiring. But a short circuit will blow the 30 amp fuse almost instantly before the wires get hot enough to start a fire. I use 10ga wire from the battery to the power panel, and 14ga wire out to my fuel pump. The 14ga wire will carry enough amps to blow the 30 amp fuse before getting hot enough to burn should there be a short circuit out at the fuel pump end of my flight box (I've got a Sig Field Boss flight box with a 12AH motorcycle battery for power.)
Old 06-23-2007, 08:21 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The slimline boxxer is the best electric pump for glow fuel. Don't use it for gas! I've been using one for the last four years, regular use, no issues. Once in a while, I dismantle the pump body to clean the rollers. I bought a maintenance kit for it but haven't had any need to use it yet

I'm rigging up my own electric pump for gas using a miniature pump from Greylor
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35583.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	709546  
Old 06-23-2007, 09:31 PM
summerwind

tomorrow is going to be the first day for me to go flying in 15 years. the past 5 months i have spent my time researching and buying and assembling 2 GP ARF's, and all the accessories i feel i needed.
i checked everything out as i bought it, starter, tooling such as irons and what not, and especially all the radio gear.
in the process i bought the Sullivan Streamer fuel pump, and today i set it up for the first time to get things ready for tomorrow................wouldn't you know, it leaks. not like a sive or anything, but the motor inside is connected to the pump unit by a flat ground on the end of the motor shaft, which of course engages and spins the pump. but this design is a bit odd as when the shaft of the motor is not in there, then there is actually a hole. so needles to say, the shaft and pump aren't close enough in diameter to seal things properly, and now i have to use a towel under the stupid thing tomorrow to keep the leak under okiefied control.
the one item i thought i was smart by saving money on is the one item that is going to give me grief my 1st time out.

went to LHS after i found out, but they didn't have the Slimline Boxer, and Tower's price was 60 bucks, so i ordered the Boxer from Slimline for 50 bucks..............should have done so in the first place..........live and learn.
i always used electric whenever i flew in years past..........i work hard all week, all be damned if i'm gonna work at having fun with a manual fuel pump.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:47 PM
xlr82v2

ORIGINAL: rajul

The slimline boxxer is the best electric pump for glow fuel. Don't use it for gas! I've been using one for the last four years, regular use, no issues. Once in a while, I dismantle the pump body to clean the rollers. I bought a maintenance kit for it but haven't had any need to use it yet

I'm rigging up my own electric pump for gas using a miniature pump from Greylor

Rajul,

I looked up Greylor on the 'net, I'm assuming that you're using the PQ pump... just curious, if you're going to go with the 12 or 24 volt model, as the rated flow rate is pretty high with this pump. I tried a similar gear pump a while back from B&D Pumps (a buddy of mine swore that this was the holy grail of fuel pumps), but I used the 24V model, running it on the 12 volts from my flight box battery to basically cut the flow rate in half. Before it started leaking like a sieve, it would fill a 13oz tank in about 30 seconds or so. Worked pretty well (for dropping the flow rate), never blew off any fuel lines or fittings.

Oh, and if you're tempted to try a B&D pump, don't. Took 2 tries to get a pump that would last more than a week with glow fuel, Mine wouldn't draw fuel up out of the jug if it was under 3/4 full, and in less than a year it started leaking like a sieve. And their customer service is pretty much non-existant, as well as their knowledge of materials compatability[:@] . Hopefully you have better service from your greylor, I've seen some ads in MA that looks like someone is using a Greylor pump on a 5gal gas can and selling it for like $200 or something... [X(]

Old 06-23-2007, 11:51 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

It's the PQ-12, but I might be running it with a 6V battery. I opted for a viton gasket which should last longer than the buna-n, although the buna-n will work well with gas. No way I'm spending $200 on one of those 2.5gal fuel cans
Old 12-14-2007, 11:05 PM
linkadrip

A little more information on this pump would be helpfull There are several different Variations of this pump witch variation works bestt for Gas (petrol).
Old 12-16-2007, 04:03 AM
asmund

ORIGINAL: P-40 DRIVER

Stay away from electric fuel pumps if at all possible. guaranteed you will get a face full of fuel at some point when the fuel line pops off and sprays everywhere before you can turn it off. Most of the guys at my field don't use them for that reason.

Yeah, what P-40 says, been there done that My electric pump stays home and my crankpump (is that a word??) follows me to the field. For a 91 engine it takes just 10 seconds of cranking to fill the tank anyway
Old 12-16-2007, 01:33 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

I agree with asmund. About twice a year I see someone at our field, who has become distracted from his electric pump somehow, pump half a gallon of fuel out the exhaust and into the dirt. I have to suppress my laughter. My trusty old Dave Brown hand pump has lasted many years and never let me down. It only takes a minute to fill a 16 oz tank.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:23 PM
linkadrip

Well i found a hand crank pump the will pump gas and its alot cheaper then an electric one so i will pump the gas manually. So no need to know much about the electric one. But the fuel pumping staion i was going to build would have has a button on it that you have to hold in to pump fuel and one you have to hold in to remove fuel. if you have a switch that requires you to hold the button to pump the fuel then your not as likley to Over fill the tank.

But i guess enven then if your not paying attention and keep holding the button you could overfill the tank. But with a switch that yuu have to hold as soon as you let go of it the pump would stop pumping so getting a face fuel of gas would be alot less likely if the pump is stopped.

But i will be hand cranking to fill my tanks
Old 12-23-2007, 10:41 PM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

I used a SonicTronics for many years and just got used to the slow priming. I replaced it with a Sulliven Streamer and like it much better, primes and pumps faster, also makes a lot of noise. I don't know how long it will last, two seasons so far.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:16 AM
skiman762

ORIGINAL: JPMacG

I agree with asmund. About twice a year I see someone at our field, who has become distracted from his electric pump somehow, pump half a gallon of fuel out the exhaust and into the dirt. I have to suppress my laughter. My trusty old Dave Brown hand pump has lasted many years and never let me down. It only takes a minute to fill a 16 oz tank.
I thought about an electric was going to try one after my 6 shooter wore out that was many moons ago and I'm still cranking
the nice thing is they will pump glow or gas just a change in the pump tube and off you go
Old 12-30-2007, 04:46 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the crank type so I can monitor consumption.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:21 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

I have used an electric one for about 4 years now. I'm the 4th owner of it and the flightbox it came on. I carry a hand pump just in case. I've loaned it out to people who needed it at the field.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:08 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yea, like me
Old 01-17-2008, 03:51 PM
markswihart

about how much psi dose the slimline boxxer pump generate? anyone know?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:41 PM
vdraper
My Feedback: (8)

Is there a specific way the rollers need to be set? Also what did you use to clean them?
Thanks,
Val

Old 06-01-2009, 12:43 PM
vdraper
My Feedback: (8)

Does anyone know where you can get the instructions for the Boxxer repair kit?
Thanks,
Val