RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Crud in Ritch's Brew

Old 09-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Gungadin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Crud in Ritch's Brew

Jim- In regard to filters. I always use one filter on my input line to my pump, and one filter on my output line from my pump as well as a filter in my fuel line to the carb. Have always done this. Three filters is probably overkill but untill this unpleasant experience with Ritch's Brew I never had a problem in 16 years of R/C flying using 5 or 6 different brands of fuel. Yes filters are important, for sure.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Chancho

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Dead Stick Dave,

Dead Stick Phil here... I bought 3 cases/12 bottles of Rich's brew at this year’s Toledo show, too. For some reason I haven't thrown it out and have tried diluting it with a better fuel with mixed success. I just hate to pour that much fuel away. It's been a busy flying season and I've only got about 2 bottles left. I think I'll just use it to start bon fires in the back yard and parts cleaning. I can't wait until Toledo show next year to buy some better fuel. It’s not the best fuel from what I’ve experience, read from others and heard others testimonials… I don’t mean to beat up Rich’s brew, but I had 10 bottles of dead sticks and won’t try it again… “I’ve since run a couple bottles of Omega and Cool Power without a dead stick…” Grrrr….

Lesson Learned….

Phil
Old 11-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Gungadin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Chancho-Your experience sounds very very similar to mine except my fuel was from the previous year at Toledo. I guess things have not changed in a year. I ended up filtering the crud out of the stuff and diluting it with PowerMaster 50/50 to use it up. Only one more gal. left thank Goodness.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Chancho

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gungadin,

Ditto: I made a major brain fart and to my horror discovered I have 1 brand new box of four gallons. I had been diluting it with improved, but mixed results. 1/2 was OK, but 3/4 with a better fuel made a big improvement. Good luck on getting your fuel thru your engine. I’ve been off the mix for a little while as I was still having issues. Since I’ve been off the mix I’ve had absolutely no issues. I was out flying today, 6 hard flights, aerobatics, low/high speed passes, etc. with absolutely NO dead sticks, no engine adjustments, good idles, good transitions and good top end. It's all a painful hind sight and lesson after reading and hearing about you and others like us who've had fuel problems and in this instance with the Brew. I would donate the fuel to someone but my conscious can't take the potential of damage occurrences on dead sticks. And on that note I've spent an estimated 10 hours fixing my plane after dead sticks this season. That doesn’t count the bent wing tube, wheel pants, etc. It's just not worth it to fix or lose a plane because of bad gas. My 2 cents for anyone with suspect fuel is to just throw it out and buy the good stuff for your engine.

I can’t wait for the Toledo Show in April! Time to stock up on FUEL! WildCat will be there, I’m not sure who else…

Happy Flying!

Phil
Old 12-22-2008, 05:14 AM
Nathan_L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used to run Rich's Brew. Our club bought it by the pallet and I was the biggest buyer of it. I bought the 5% for big glow engines and I used a minimum of 1 gallon a week and sometimes more. I bought 4 cases and it would last about 3 months. Never had a problem with it in my OS 1.60 and Moki 1.80/2.10's. In the years it was available to me (I no longer live there and can't buy thru the club) I probably ran 50-60 gallons of it. I paid $8/gallon then.

Imagine my shock when I decided to fly a glow plane again for the first time in a few years (now I fly gas) and priced a gallon of fuel compared to the $8/gallon I bought just 4 years ago. [>:]
Old 12-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Chancho
Gungadin,
I can’t wait for the Toledo Show in April! Time to stock up on FUEL! WildCat will be there, I’m not sure who else…
Happy Flying!
Phil

You don't need any other. I used RB for years off and on. Most of time, no problems, but other times there were many problems. Randy Ritch is one fine human being and I like him. I never discuss fuel when around him.

I used to live in a nw suburb of Chicago. returned to the Home-land in '85. I travel through Chicago Land each year. Stopping one year about 10 years ago, at Venture Hobby, in Wheeling I noticed all this Wildcat fuel. I bought a couple cases, of various mixes.
Back here in TX, one day I was thinking how dumb I was, but I filled a tank for a .40 sport flier with 5%nitro, 16% oil, outside temp. near 100* with 80% humidity. Absolutely great. Later as I used the various formulas throughout my various models, well, enough to say, I stock up each year when passing through the Chi-town area. Twice I had 40 gallons delivered on an 18 wheeler.

Of course when "great-pains" got the "distributor" rights, Wildcat costs more and screws up my good deals at Venture, but the reliability and no fuel problems are worth it.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Chancho

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hossfly,

I’m with you on the experience with WildCat. I’ve grown a lot in this hobby with a close friend on the same level of experience. We’ve both spent countless hours of conversation, purchases, field experiments, etc. on different fuels. We both live by and swear by WildCat mixes.

For a last note in regards to Ritch’s Brew, I’m sure it works well for some people. I’m sure Randy Ritch is a fine man, too. I don’t know who from Ritche’s brew sold me my 3 cases of Ritch’s Brew at last year’s Toledo show, but I explained to him exactly the motor I was running and what I was intending to do. Based on the fuel “expert” I went with his advice for the specific mix I purchased. Bottom line is the fuel just never ran right in any of my engines and I won’t try it again. But who knows, I could have had a bad batch? I’m sure there are many satisfied customers. I don’t like flaming our suppliers, and in hind sight maybe the wording was a little strong. However it is good for starting fires in the log pit in the back yard, burning leaves, etc…

A few bucks more on a quality fuel that won’t leave you with a dead stick and all the other problems associated with bad gas, is priceless. I hear people complain all the time about the cost of a gallon of Glow Fuel. But when you add up your time, effort, gas in your car, etc; that you spend getting out flying for a few hours and waiting your turn on the runway– it’s really a small price in the scheme of things…

Peace Out,

Phil
Old 01-27-2009, 09:04 PM
walthor12

I stumbled across this post and I'm starting to wonder. I run boats and got 3 jugs of fuel at Toledo for the racing season. Boats ran great in the spring when I was using up the old bottles of Red Max. Decided I would use the new fuel on raceday. Same nitro, same oil content so shouldn't be an issue!!!!!!!!!!!!
My 45 didn't run worth a poop and my 67 hydro blew the con rod by the 3rd heat. Bad day.
Rebuilt the 67 with new bearings and rod. Barely got the engine fired and off the stand and a brand new rod gave out. Well I went after the guy who sold me the rod but now I wonder. Both connecting rods had the brass liner spin in them until the rod gave out at the big end. I'm a little embarassed now as I may owe him an apology.
I don't run a fuel filter in the 67 hydro, just balls to the wall and aim the thing as best one can. The 45 has an in line filter but also a remote throttle needle fine adjustment. Just wouldn't run as it had earlier that year even when adjusting the needle 'on the fly'.
Maybe I need to re-think my choice of fuels. Any boaters out there have any suggestions?
Old 01-28-2009, 10:24 PM
w8ye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I learned the hard way to not do anything different or new on race day.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:17 PM
walthor12

Thanks a lot w8ye, now you tell me[X(]. LOL

Old 01-30-2009, 07:55 PM
w8ye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When I was younger I raced bicycles and the big local race came up and I had just bought a new super race model the day before. I'll have you know that I was way down in the pack. The next year I rode the same bicycle and won my age group.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:34 PM
mgrande11

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I ran omega in my saito 100 and it ran rough I never could get the needles sorted (2 gals.).  I got a great deal on 3 gals of 15% 4 stroke Ritch's Brew from Anderson RC and the engine runs much smoother and upon leaning out a little I'm turning 9800 rpm turning a 15x6 MAS prop.  I've checked all 3 gals for debris and it looks perfect.  I hope matt continues to carry this fuel, for the money it can't be beat.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:48 AM
Chancho

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mgrande11,

I'm glad to hear the fuel is working out for you. Please do keep an eye on your bearings and valve adjustments and update if anything changes out of the norm. I'm finally off the %30 Coolpower and run only %20 Wildcat now. The coolpower ran good, butI never felt that my motor was protected on the inside with the Coolpower (For what ever reason... after a prematurely worn cam, blown bearings, etc.. "Ritch's brew gave the same results".) Ihave to say that Wildcat is the only fuel I've run thru my Saitos where I have raced my plane all weekend (Saito 115 turning 13x11APC at 8,900 fully loaded on the ground) and have noticed no change in the valve adjustments. Before with the Coolpower or Ritch's I could always take play out of thevalvesafter a couple hours of engine run... Not with Wildcat.

Ritch's didn't work for me - doesn't mean it's bad juice but just keep an eye on your motor and update here if you notice anything. And I don't know why my Saitos would overheat and deadstick with the Ritch's. "Maybe it's just me.."

Thanks for posting - its all a good read to me.

Best Regards,
Old 05-27-2009, 06:18 PM
mgrande11

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Did you put machine oil in the breather nipple and in the pushrod covers.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:01 PM
w8ye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've used Rich's brew for years and never had any trouble with it not running correctly, having flakes, or excessive wear.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:05 PM
jeffie8696

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have seen the same fiberous material in other makes of fuel , If you run a filter and are aware it can happen then the problems are minimal. Ihave trained myself to check each jug before use.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Chancho

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oil Breather on the pushrods?No. I'm afraid it would interfere with the wind stream and I’d lose .002 MPH. “I can’t have that!” But I do after run lube it for the day and periodically remove the valve covers to dab up moisture and squirt some oil on top. I think Wy8ye and Darzeelon were supposed to design an automatic lubrication system for us Saito guys.

Best of flying to you and hopefully everyones fuel works out good for them. I saw too many crashes this past weekend and fuel was the least of the worries. We take it for granted that we're worried about something like fuel when our brothers in this hobby didn't do so well at the field this past weekend.Mabye take a moment of silence for all the guys who were shot down this Memorial day at our local fields... One guy burried his tiger 60 and about an hour later broke apart a nice Extra 300. Too many crashes this weekend.

Peace out...
Old 05-27-2009, 08:21 PM
jeffie8696

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Aerohawks saw no crashes this weekend while Iwas there . Everybody did great.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Chancho

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Aerohawks = nice field! Man, you guys are spoiled! Nice runway, no big obstructions immediatly in the way, etc.... You guys are a little smaller attendance wise than the flying pilgrims so that may be the difference. It was 12 to 15 mph winds Monday, too.The guy who did your airport for Realflight did a great job, too...

See ya,

Old 05-27-2009, 08:56 PM
jeffie8696

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can you believe Iam not even a member yet! Ijust can't come up with the money for a while. Iagree it is one awesome field and Iheard it was done up on the flight sim but have never seen it.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:16 PM
Chancho

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry for being off topic... Anyhow in regards to the membership fees, they suck but I supopse they're a necessary evil. For the Aerohawks the field looks all the worth while... I'm looking to maybe move to Tampa in August and it's the same thing... $125 initiation fee and $70 membership. Ouch....

Old 05-27-2009, 10:28 PM
jeffie8696

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It isn't expensive to be a member but you must also be an AMAmember so it is just hard for me to find the money right now. The future is hopeful.
I'm so poor Ican't even pay attention.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:49 PM
mgrande11

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Holy Crap "$125 initiation fee and $70 membership".  I'd be flying off my driveway and lay some string across it and make like it's a carrier deck.  You guys must **** money.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Chancho

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's a shocker and unfortunately keeps a lot of people away from joining the hobby. It's too much of a shocker to have to pay AMA, the club initiation plus yearly feesalong with all the gear to get started. It kept me away from joining the club for several years.. I was flying in construciton sites, parks, etc. "Everywhere I shouldn't have been..."The benefits of the club pay off pretty quickly as most of us know. But yeah, its not cheap...

Those who are subscribing to the crud in fuel - Sorry again for posting off topic.

Search this Thread