Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Klotz 198

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 07:23 PM
AussiePilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Klotz 198

I guys i made a mistake at the hobby shop today I run plane glow motors and i always run klots 200 and by accident i bought the Klots 198 heli Synthetic oil....
Can i still use this in my planes or have a totally stuffed up....
i normally run 20% synthetic oil.....
I just checked out the fact sheet and it des specify u can use it on Airplane motors
http://www.klotzlube.com/tech/KL-198.pdf
Old 11-08-2008, 12:53 AM
XJet
Banned

Default RE: Klotz 198

It would appear that the 198 is simply a lower-viscosity version of the 200 and would work fine but don't go too low on the oil ratio, stick to at least 18% and probably 20% would be safer.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:16 AM
AussiePilot

thanx Xjet,
What does the Viscosity got to do with things.???
What is the differents.?? and will i notice any Performance changes.??
Old 11-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Fuel Dinosaur

The Klotz Helicopter oil is a low viscosity oil and is used at 22-24% in 15-30% nitromethane fuels for helicopters. You can use it, but I would use it at 22% and 10-15% nitromethane. An even better solution is to use about 18% of that oil and the rest castor oil, if you have some. You can get a good AA grade castor from Klotz, Sig. Mfg. or other supplier. You can use Klotz benol, a better castor, with an even higher film strength, great for model engines. I do not recommend using just 18% heli oil for most 2-stroke engines. Best to use 22% helicopter oil, by simple volume.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:41 PM
AussiePilot

Ok guys i have ran 8 tanks of fuel through this motor today AND WOW!!!.
I totally recommend this oil it seems that the Head temps were Cooler and it was a 34Degrees day in sydney australia and there was more of a smoke trail and there was hardly any Gunk comming out of the exhaust all the stuff that came out of the exhaust was still Pink. So this Oil is definatly Carrying away some heat the motor seamed very happy...
all in all I might keep using this Oil
im running 20% of this oil....and 5% nitro..
Old 11-09-2008, 02:47 AM
XJet
Banned

I think it just goes to show how bad the "old" oils we've been using are because here in NZ we're running Coopers hi-tech synthetic oil and find that our engines also run cooler and more reliably.

The difference is that we only have to run 12% oil which means we also get a significantly longer out of tank and don't have the mess that goes with higher oil volumes. It also works out much cheaper since we end up paying about the same (per litre) for Coopers as we do for Klotz or CoolPower oil but we need only use 2/3 as much per litre of fuel.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:53 AM
AussiePilot

Xjet, Yuh true, though we dont get that oil in sydney,
im very happy with this klotz 198 I may of made a good mistake....it seams to run alot Cleaner...Though i guess i truelly wont now until i run these engines for a lengthy perios of time...
Though its funny whilst there isnt much "GUNK" left on the plane it doss have a "rich smoke trail" Though i know my engines are running very nice and Arnt on the Rich rich side But are running slightly rich.. Im just guessing thats How this Oil Burns Since Really it is Heli Synthetic.
So i think i will continue to use this OIL i cant see anything wrong with it... Can You guys.?
Old 11-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Fuelman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The heavier smoke trail and "hardly any gunk" is because much more of the oil is combusting than the heavier viscosity oils. That is why that company recommends you use more oil by volume with that product than the other products. That paticular oil is extremely in-tollerable of a lean run, so be sure you use enough and keep it rich enough.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:43 AM
Conrod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

XJet where in NZ can I get Coopers oil?

Geoff