Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
Reload this Page >

How much oil to convert"Car" fuel to "BOAT" fuel

Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

How much oil to convert"Car" fuel to "BOAT" fuel

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 01:44 PM
rageman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much oil to convert"Car" fuel to "BOAT" fuel

I have a gallon of Odonnell 20% nitro "CAR" racing fuel part number ODOP3220 and BeNOL racing castor oil. How much BeNOL should I add to the gallon of Odonnell 20% nitro to get 18% total oil needed for a "BOAT" engine?
Old 03-22-2009, 08:53 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How much oil to convert"Car" fuel to "BOAT" fuel

Odonnell seems to be very cagey when it comes to oil quantity because all they say is they use a special oil package that gives the "equivalent protection" of 18% oil. Yeah right. It's probably safest to assume they use about 12% oil so if you want 18% you'd need to add 10 ounces of castor.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:44 AM
rageman

ORIGINAL: downunder

Odonnell seems to be very cagey when it comes to oil quantity because all they say is they use a special oil package that gives the "equivalent protection" of 18% oil. Yeah right. It's probably safest to assume they use about 12% oil so if you want 18% you'd need to add 10 ounces of castor.
Yes I tried to get the % oil out of Odonnell and they refused. Just hoping someone had figured it out. If not I will do as you suggest. Thanks for the response. Still hoping someone knows however.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:35 AM
rageman

I learned that there are contract fuel test labs. I sent inquiries to a few to see if they would determine % oil of a nitro methane model engine fuel. TBC
Old 03-24-2009, 01:33 PM
rageman

ORIGINAL: rageman

I learned that there are contract fuel test labs. I sent inquiries to a few to see if they would determine % oil of a nitro methane model engine fuel. TBC
Well it can be done but pricey. You have to send two fuel samples for each to be tested in a gas chromatograph. One sample to be a baseline of nitro methane with zero oil and the other sample containing the unknown % oil. By compareing the results the % oil content can be determined. The lab I talked to said $100 per test x 2 = $200.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:00 PM
rageman

Another fuel test lab, after telling me the $300 price for them to do it, outlined a relatively simple method that a layman like me could use to acurately determine the % oil content of the fuel. We shall see.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:20 PM
rageman

See attached picture. I filled a 50 ml Borosilicate (Pyrex TM) graduated cylinder ($10 on Amazon.com) with Odonnell 20% nitro Car Fuel at room temperature. I heated it over night (in a well ventilated garage) with a 150 watt spot lamp and reflective aluminum foil make shift oven. Nitro methane has a boiling point of 217F so it flashes off quick. The remaining oil measured at 7.25 to 7.5 ml at room temperature so the % oil in the fuel was from 14.5% to 15%. I can now add the necessary additional castor oil to give the 18% desired for boat fuel. Maybe 20% for engine break in. [:'(] Odonnell.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25290.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1169865  
Old 03-31-2009, 12:22 PM
rageman

ORIGINAL: rageman

See attached picture. I filled a 25 ml Borosilicate (Pyrex TM) graduated cylinder ($10 on Amazon.com) with Odonnell 20% nitro Car Fuel at room temperature. I heated it over night (in a well ventilated garage) with a 150 watt spot lamp and reflective aluminum foil make shift oven. Nitro methane has a boiling point of 217F so it flashes off quick. The remaining oil measured at 7.25 to 7.5 ml at room temperature so the % oil in the fuel was from 14.5% to 15%. I can now add the necessary additional castor oil to give the 18% desired for boat fuel. Maybe 20% for engine break in. [:'(] Odonnell.

Initial fill was 50 ml not 25ml.