Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
Reload this Page >

10% oil vs 12% oil - worth the price?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

10% oil vs 12% oil - worth the price?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 12:14 PM
GlassBullet
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10% oil vs 12% oil - worth the price?

My hobby shop only sells three brands of fuel: XTM Racing fuel, Trinity Horsepower, and one other that I don't know the name. Right now, I have the XTM 20% and it has 10% castor/synthetic blend of oil for $30 a gallon. The Trinity Horespower 20% has 12% blend of oil for $34. Is it worth the extra $4 to get 2% more oil? Also, the third kind has 20% synthetic oil for around $34. Which would you recommend getting? It is for my HPI Firestorm with the G3.0 engine.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:52 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 10% oil vs 12% oil - worth the price?

I guess it comes down to a trade off between engine performance and engine longevity. You may get slightly more performance from low oil fuels, but you will get significantly longer engine life from fuels with more oil.

This may not be the answer you were asking for, but I would recommend you find a hobby shop that caters to aircraft hobbyists. The market price for aircraft fuel seems to be lower than car fuel, and the ingredients in the fuel are about the same. A gallon of 20% nitro 20% oil aircraft fuel sells for around $20 - $25 at hobby shops around here.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:25 PM
GlassBullet
My Feedback: (1)

my LHS does have both airplane and cars, but most of it is electric. it also has a bunch of model trains and rockets and such so it's not just rc. but that did answer the question, thank you
Old 07-03-2009, 07:51 PM
xjqkz

For truggy/buggy applications you do not need any higher oil content than 16% even for breakin (as some LHS's would tell you to use their higher oil blends) Here's the break down of oil%'s for car, airplane and heli engines.
http://www.byronfuels.com/pages/products.html

imo 20% oil is overkill, if anything it will cost you quiet a few glow plugs.

Almost all of the car fuels have about 12% oil content (some even have 9%). I think the car engines would not be deprived of lubrication at or above 9% oil content. I mix own fuel and I do about 6% Castor and 6% synthetic. Fuel blends that claim mix of castor and synthetic use 80 synth/20 castor. Some flat out use synthetic no castor at all which in my opinion is not healthy for your engine in the long run just my $0.02.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Jester241

The castor fuels will provide much better rust protection when your motor sits around. Pure sythetic oils dont do this near as well as something with castor in it. I like alittle castor.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:16 PM
NikolayTT

Hi Folks,

Castor should not be left inside of your engine for overnight, neither synthtic oil which
has just come out of the exhaust, i.e. "processed" by the engine. After reading and
trying so many things, nowadays (last 5 years) I cary two fuels to the air-field:
1) Major use: 18% castor, 12% nitro and rest methanol. Very good protection of the
engine and very cheap and still get most of the engine power.
2) Last flight of the day: 20% Aerosave (or AeroSynth) by Fuchs (it is German and
has many offices around the world; check the www.) This one washes the engine
well from the remains of the castor.
3) Then run the engine by starter 20-30 sec and meanwhile inject about 20-50 ml (1oz) of
pure Aerosave in the venturi and you can leave the engine even for 1-2 years untouched
and it as new !
And this "method" is very cheap compare to all other ready fuels which make
good performance and cost you more, in money-for-fuel, AND, money for engine
spare-parts.

Cheers,
Nick
Old 07-11-2009, 12:36 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nick,
What sort of problems does leaving castor in the engine cause? I have not heard this before.

Thanks