Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

fuel mixing container ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 02:06 PM
hudmun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel mixing container ?

any recomendations on a good container to mix fuel, about quart , pint or 1/2 gallon size with nice scale on it for mixing
Old 08-13-2009, 11:00 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: fuel mixing container ?

I use (well cleaned) old plastic auto oil containers with the clear section having a graduated scale. In my case, being metric, a 5 litre container for the methanol (and to hold the final mix) and 1 litre for the oil. First I pour the oil from the 1 litre container into the large one then fill the oil container with methanol to dissolve any remaining oil, pour that into the large one, add nitro (if you must ) then top up with methanol to the final volume you want. With metrics it's easy but I'm not sure how American containers might be graduated.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:24 PM
hudmun

sounds like a pretty good idea.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:54 AM
Fuel Dinosaur

I recommend using metric graduated cylinders, even in the U.S. (among the SLOWEST to implement metric measurements!). For small to medium lots, you can use a 1,000 ml NALGENE graduated cylinder. It is much easier, and more accurate, to use ml instead of ounces. You can get one at a supply house for scientific products, like Fischer Scientific out of Atlanta. Because I mix a LOT of small lots (gallon or less) for airplane engines, helicopters, boats and cars, it is very convenient. With a single 1,000 ml graduated cylinder, you can mix up pints, quarts and gallons, most accurate for quarts and gallons. Since I do a lot of this, I have a 100 ml, 1,000 ml and a 4,000 ml (just over one gallon) Nalgene cylinders. You can get a glass graduated cylinder or one of Nalgene (sort of whitish plastic). The Nalgene does not break, is light and stands up okay to oil, methanol and nitromethane. Hope this helps
Old 08-14-2009, 12:23 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just something I would like to point out if using the clear windows in oil bottles is to check the first graduation to see if the window is calibrated right because when they blow mold the bottles the bottoms can vary how well they are formed.

Probably not something to be too concerned about when mixing a "full" batch of fuel, but it's good to check so you know where your at from there. Some may even flex from skinny to fat as you fill it and that can change things too.

Other from that aspect I really like the oil bottle idea, almost like they had us in mind when they designed it.

Here's a pic of a funnel holder that comes in handy that you could probably bend up yourself if you wanted one for your favorite funnel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69876.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	1255974  
Old 08-14-2009, 05:44 PM
hudmun

great ideas , thanks very helpfull
Old 08-28-2009, 12:01 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

I just use 12 oz. beer cans. The ratio I want will determine the number of beers I have to slug.