Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Omega fuel for a Saito.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 04:34 AM
RappyPilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Omega fuel for a Saito.

I have just bought a Saito Fa100 for my newly aquired H9 P51 Mustang

The question I have is that I see in the manual that you need to use synthetic oil.

I have always made my own fuel but getting a tad tired running around mixing fuel etc. The only commercially available fuel in hobby shops near me is Morgan Fuels

Now a while back I used Cool Power with 5% nitro in my OS91FX when I had trouble getting nitro and had to buy commercial fuel, and noticed that rust appeared on the crankshaft after 10 flights or so.. So I am a bit scared to use Cool Power again. It never did that while I was blending my own fuel with Klotz LK200 oil. I did some research and a lot of people had bad things to say about Cool Power.

I see you also get Omega Four Stroke Fuel, 15% Nitro, and 17% oil containing a 50/50 mix of synthetic and castor. Can that be safely used in a Saito? Or is it bad to use fuel containing Castor in Saito Motors.

Marcel

Old 09-24-2009, 05:26 AM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Omega fuel for a Saito.

I have almost all Saitos (3 FA-56, 3 FA-100, 1 FA-125, 1 FA-150, 2 FA-180). I use Wildcat 2/4 cycle 20% Nitro and add 2.5 oz of Klotz Techniplate KL-100 to each gallon. That makes the final mix: 20% Nitro, 18% Synthetic Oil, 2% Castor. They run great!
Old 09-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you read the "Complete Saito Notes by Bill Robison" in the "Glow Engines" thread he recommends some castor in the fuel for Saitos. It helps keep wear down on the cam/lifters. I have used Omega with good success and I also believe in using a little castor in my fuel as did he.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:43 PM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

Strange, my Saito Manual, version 2002, only says do not use 100% Castor as the lube. It specifically says, "A mix of synthetic-castor oil si acceptable and can be found in various fuels described above." The manual does say use 20% oil. And it does say use of "a high quality 2-cycle glow fuel, such as Hangar 9 Aero-Blend, Omega, Cool Power, K&B< Power Master, etc." is okay.

Cheers,

Chip
Old 09-25-2009, 01:59 AM
RappyPilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I am going to stick to making my own fuel but adding 2 - 3% castor in it.

But, on the oil topic, just had a look at the Klotz website and I see you get Klotz Super Techniplate which is a 80/20 synth castor mix.

What waht really stunned me is that they mention this:

R/C Model: 2-Stroke glow engines mix at 15-18% 4-stroke glow engines mix at 5-10%

5-10 % for Four Strokes. That seems a bit low doesn't it?

here is a link to the product. [link=http://www.klotzlube.com/techsheet.asp?ID=44&submit2=View]Super Techniplate[/link]
Old 09-26-2009, 03:53 PM
tony0707

HI the morgan omega fuel is an 80 /20 mix of 80 syn and 20 castor 17 % oil but the oil used is adaquate been using it for 26 years -i do all kinds of engine rebuilding and repairsyou see very little wear if any with the omega fuel (pink )-glo engine REQUIRE CASTOR OIL-to keep your engines new for the long hall i did use cool power the first few years i flew and had a lot of wear on my enginesreally not good-might be good for the hobby shop owners castor oils qualities come into play when the engine temps get unexpectidly hot-from a lean run that is alway unintensional-the castor has a tendecy to stick to the metal in these critical times-castor oil also beaks down -over 100 degrees over that of syn oilsdo you need castor oilYES YOU DO-and morgan 17 % is enough -i sell glo engines on RCU and my new nick name is "THE OMEGA MAN "-DO YOU THINK I LIKE THIS FUEL REGARDS TONY