Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Cool Power 5 % glow fuel opinion

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 10:11 AM
gsalort1978

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cool Power 5 % glow fuel opinion

Hi people

I want to know if I should add a small % of castor oil (2 or 3%) to Cool Power fuel 5 % nitro airplane. I am using it in my OS 55 ax and some people say me that this fuel only has syntetic oil which is not good for OS engines ABL because can damage the liner...
Is it true, or is also a myth?
I 'd like to know your opinion.

thanks.

Gabriel.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:21 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Cool Power 5 % glow fuel opinion

add the castor
Old 10-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Ken6PPC

ORIGINAL: w8ye

add the castor
+1 for the castor!
Old 10-14-2009, 11:32 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
What gives you the impression that OS ABN engines cannot be run on synthetic oil??? Of course they can!!!
Old 10-14-2009, 11:45 AM
carrellh

From page 12 of the manual http://manuals.hobbico.com/osm/55ax-manual.pdf
The 55AX should be operated on a methanol based fuel containing not less than 18% (volumetric) castor oil, or a top quality synthetic lubricant (or a mixture of both), plus a small percentage (5-20%) of nitromethane for improved flexibility and power. (The carburetor is adjusted a little on the rich side at the factory for a fuel containing 20% lubricant and 15% nitromethane.)
==============

I guess you have to decide if you think the oil used in Cool Power is "top quality."
Old 10-14-2009, 01:09 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

From my experience, the oil itself is OK but there needs to be more of it.

Cool Power 30 Heli has 22% synthetic and seems to do OK

The problem with the oil is you can do all the bench running and determine oil leveles by residual left in the crankcase etc but that's not the real picture up in the air or if the engine is on the lean side.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:16 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
What gives you the impression that OS ABN engines cannot be run on synthetic oil??? Of course they can!!!
No one said they cannot be run on synthetic oil. Addition of castor does, however, add protection and has no downside.

jess
Old 10-14-2009, 01:17 PM
earlwb

Some engines seemingly corrode overnight when using glow fuel with all synthetic oils and a little nitro.
other engines don't seem to be bothered by it at all. Some engines seem to corrode up when left sitting for a long time.
After run oil only works well, if you can get it on the crankshaft bearings. Most people are squirting it in the glow plug hole and down the carb throat, but the oil isn't really getting to the bearings.
using 2% to 3% castor oil does wonders for the corrosion effects on the bearings. But you have to live with a little varnish buildup over time.
So far it appears that using synthetic oils with a little castor oil works really well. But a extreme lean run could still do a engine in though.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:50 PM
AERORICH73

Carr: Your posting is right own. Use the fuel the engine mfg recomends, and let the engine have a long life. All this experimenting with fuel oil content is just like playing Russian roulette with your engine life, and maybe the plane too. I use 10% nitro, 20% castor, and add another ounce of castor to each gallon. My ASP .75 had a white slip of paper with the instructions to add an additional 3 ounces of castor for long engine life. Well, using 5% nitro, 20% castor plus another 3 ounces, really did not work well in the Oregon cold weather. I did enjoy having the strong smell of the oil while at the field, and on the way home. Right now my Evolution Alpha engine in the tired trainer leaves enough of a smoke trail in the sky that a smoke system is not needed with just the added ounce of oil.

Cheers!!!

[email protected]
Old 10-15-2009, 02:33 PM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

The old heads say use 20% lubricant in the glow fuel. Some say that 2% of that ought to be Castor. The Castor will prolong the engine life, is good for the bearings, etc. European systhetic oils seem to be superior to those used in the US. That's why most US use a blended lubricant in their fuels. In the case of Cool Power it is said to be 100% sythetic oil. So I would follow the dictates of the old heads and add Castor to the Cool Power fuel. Otherwise buy Omega which is a product of the same fuel company in the US and has a blend of lubricants.

If you want to always have 20% lubricant, then add Castor to the fuel.

But it is your engine, do what you want.

Cheers,

Chip
Old 10-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Fs one

You do not have to add castor to your fuel.I have been running cool power in my engines for years in all my engines .46ax runs beautiful 3yrs old many flights.Run synthetic clean burning no deposits no loss of power.O.s about 5 or 6yrs ago had a problem with the nickel plating coming off cylinder walls .Synthetic sometimes gets a bad rap because they believe castor will save their engines from doing lean runs.If you do lean runs with or without castor you will have problems.Also pilots have problems cooking engines with cowls that are completely enclosed.Make sure you do not run lean engines if you are not sure seek out someone in your club who can show you how to tune your engine.By the way if you move up to 10% nitro you will get a better idle and transition to full throttle.Hope this helps you happy flying!
Old 10-15-2009, 07:33 PM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Morgan's suggests Omega for ABC/ ABN - I assume they have a reason for that added Castor Oil. That pretty much say it all for me!

turbo
Old 10-15-2009, 09:25 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: turbo.gst

Morgan's suggests Omega for ABC/ ABN - I assume they have a reason for that added Castor Oil. That pretty much say it all for me!

turbo

You make an excellent point, turbo.

When I flew nothing but Cool Power in pattern, my engines, except for one, were all ringed engines. Still I had no trouble because I kept the mixture rich. It was so rich that it took a minute or so for the engine to come "on the pipe". Running rich this way, I did not need a delicate/flimsy fuel pump that would fail at the most inopportune time.

You can run Cool Power without damaging your engine, but you must run your engine extra rich. No, not burbling and sputteringly rich, but a tad richer than you normally would.

Personally, I run a fuel that either is Omega, or is a clone, like some of the Wildcat brands.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-16-2009, 06:52 AM
ProBroJoe

ORIGINAL: earlwb

Some engines seemingly corrode overnight when using glow fuel with all synthetic oils and a little nitro.
No Cool Power for me thanks... Just dragged this engine out of "The Bay" (so to speak) and it had clearly been run on The Green Stuff. Pulled the backplate and found it dry as a bone and full of rust with green stains. I swished some castor/synth blend Wildcat fuel through it to get a feel for the bearings and compression. The bearings feel OK, but will be replaced, and the compression is most definitely down. You can see how after the alcohol evaporates, the castor oil stays behind.

Besides, Cool Power just plain stinks when running, and leaves an engine, and everything it touches smelling pretty bad as well.... [:'(]

-Joe

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71580.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1295946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76574.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1295947  
Old 10-16-2009, 08:21 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Hi!

Jaka, we know you are not running "cruel power" over there in your engines, and we don't have motul or aerosave over here.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:43 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

There has been nothing that shows these new oils to be superior to castor for protecting against lean runs, and for rust. It's not a big deal with me, but I'm still waiting to see how these new synthetics are protecting better.

I use Omega 15% with a couple of oz of castor added. All of the engines run fine.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Morgan, the manufacturer of Cool Power recommends Cool Power for ringed engines, and does not recommend it for Non-Ringed ABC, ABL, AAC types of engines. They instead recommend Omega for them.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:26 PM
ProBroJoe

ORIGINAL: MOTORMAN37

Morgan, the manufacturer of Cool Power recommends Cool Power for ringed engines, and does not recommend it for Non-Ringed ABC, ABL, AAC types of engines. They instead recommend Omega for them.
Most likely because ringed engines are generally a little more robust and tolerant of "user error", whereas ABC/ABN/ABL, etc... engines aren't.

Gimmie castor, or gimmie early death to thy engines....
Old 10-16-2009, 01:28 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: MOTORMAN37
Copy/paste from: http://www.morganfuel.com/cp_faq.htm#6

Can I use Cool Power in ABC, ABN, non-ringed motors?

Yes!
Although we recommend Omega (our Castor/Synthetic Blend) for non-ringed engines, the recommendation of Cool Power for ringed engines only, is mainly because castor does offer a little more protection than straight synthetic (especially for less experienced tuners, and in lean run situations)...
That being said we have many flyers that use Cool Power in everything and have no problems or excessive wear.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:50 PM
DarZeelon

Jan,

Maybe [link=http://osengines.com/faq/product-faq.html#q2]the importer for OS to the USA[/link]?
Old 10-16-2009, 02:02 PM
carrellh

So, Hobby Services contradicts the manual that comes with the engine:

From page 12 of the manual http://manuals.hobbico.com/osm/55ax-manual.pdf
The 55AX should be operated on a methanol based fuel containing not less than 18% (volumetric) castor oil, or a top quality synthetic lubricant (or a mixture of both), plus a small percentage (5-20%) of nitromethane for improved flexibility and power. (The carburetor is adjusted a little on the rich side at the factory for a fuel containing 20% lubricant and 15% nitromethane.)
Old 10-16-2009, 04:19 PM
DarZeelon

Carrell,

They certainly do and apparently, for a good reason...

The mass-produced synthetic oils in US made fuels, do not fit the "top quality synthetic lubricant" description.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:30 PM
NM2K

Now that's just plain horse feathers, Dar.

I propose that there actually is no such thing as the European super synthetic oil at all. If it were real, it would be for sale here, where much more fuel is purchased and used. Only the rich folks get to fly R/C in the rest of the world, unlike here in the USA. It's time we stopped pretending how wonderful Europe is at everything and how terrible the USA is supposed to be at everything.

Cowboys forever!!!! <G>

Ed Cregger
Old 10-17-2009, 01:50 AM
DarZeelon

ORIGINAL: NM2K

Now that's just plain horse feathers, Dar.

I propose that there actually is no such thing as the European super synthetic oil at all. If it were real, it would be for sale here, where much more fuel is purchased and used.
Ed,

I own no stock in Motul, in [link=http://www.modeltechnics.com/]Model Technics[/link], or in Sachs...

We all have to face the fact that all over the world; even in North America, glow fuel is not a very significant segment, for which large oil manufacturers will go out on a limb...
No one is taking any risks for us.

Please see the [link=http://www.klotzlube.com/techsheet.asp?ID=54&submit2=View]tech sheet[/link] for original, 100% synthetic Klotz Techniplate.
In particular, see the 'Film Strength' figure of '8'... Klots'z own [link=http://www.klotzlube.com/techsheet.asp?ID=2&submit2=View]BÄ“NOL[/link] scores a perfect 10 in this criterion.

[link=http://www.aerosynth.de/pages/pdfs/ASynthEng.pdf]Aerosynth III[/link] does not have an on-line tech sheet; but it does contain an EPA (Extreme Pressure Additives) that enhances its wear protection.

[link=http://www.modellismo-rc.it/files/Motul_Micro_Ing.pdf]Motul Micro[/link] has EPA too, as does [link=http://www.aerosynth.de/pages/pdfs/ASaveEngl.pdf]Fuchs Aerosave[/link].

These European lubes prevent wear to such an extent, that engine manufacturers; ([link=http://www.webra-austria.at/download/en/motor.pdf]Webra[/link], for instance, tell you not to use them for break-in, since they will not allow the necessary mutual honing of parts; and that you must use castor oil instead.

These lubes offer more wear protections than castor oil; a statement is completely untrue of Techniplate.
Interestingly, [link=http://www.morganfuel.com/2-cycle.html]Cool Power oil[/link] does contain an EPA; their proprietary CP-07 friction modifier...

But since its use is still not endorsed by Hobby Services, I suspect it is not good enough for ring-less engines.
...Not to mention corrosion protection, as witnessed in these pages, by those who need to replace their engine bearings much too often...

I don't know enough about which oils are used in other US made fuels, but I suspect it is mostly Techniplate, as it is widely available, rather cheap and most fuel makers are too small to develop their own oil.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:04 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: ProBroJoe

ORIGINAL: earlwb

No Cool Power for me thanks... Just dragged this engine out of ''The Bay'' (so to speak) and it had clearly been run on The Green Stuff. Pulled the backplate and found it dry as a bone and full of rust with green stains. I swished some castor/synth blend Wildcat fuel through it to get a feel for the bearings and compression. The bearings feel OK, but will be replaced, and the compression is most definitely down. You can see how after the alcohol evaporates, the castor oil stays behind.

Besides, Cool Power just plain stinks when running, and leaves an engine, and everything it touches smelling pretty bad as well.... [:'(]

-Joe

So now you are full of horse feathers too! (I'm leaving home made smilies, but they aren't appearing in the final file)

I don't think I would be too quick to lible a company and its product, just because you "think" someone used Cool Power in the engine that you bought from eBay. Sheesh!

I know, you're kidding and your home made smiles didn't make it either. 8>)

Ed Cregger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.