Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

where to buy methanol

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:09 PM
whoopee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to buy methanol

Where can i buy Methanol in Lincolnton, Hickory, Moorsville, NC area i have googled it and nothin all help is apriciated.

Thanks
Whoopee
Old 03-23-2010, 12:14 AM
Lost Glider

Default RE: where to buy methanol

I use Google. Try using the word "buy" in the search like "where to buy methanol in NC". Try race tracks, monster truck guys, serious motorheads, they would know where you can get it.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:55 AM
gunneredwards
My Feedback: (4)

Try a local car dealership-we use it for cleaner... I.E. brake cleaner is methanol and we get it in 55 gal drums. If you ask, they will probably give you a gallon.
dan
Old 03-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I buy mine at a Local Stock Car supply shop/Gokart track for $2.50 prer gallon. They actually have a gas pump for it. Becarefull of the purity if buying it from just a supplier of cleaning products, since there is chemicaly recoverd methanol on the market that is extracted from the printing industry, and also high moisture content stuff on the market. That stuff works fine for other purposes, but not for model engines. For are use, you need 99%+ methanol (Racing Grade), or your engine will just run like it does with a jug of old junk fuel that was left open to the enviroment.[X(]
Do a search for Dirt track racing, since Late Model Stock Car's, IMCA, Midget's, and Sprint Car's all run Methanol. In WI, there are tracks all over.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: whoopee

Where can i buy Methanol in Lincolnton, Hickory, Moorsville, NC area i have googled it and nothin all help is apriciated.

Thanks
Whoopee

I did one search, and come up with this. Yo need to learn how to do a search on the web, since you have it all over in your state.

http://www.hunteroilpro.com/racing-fuel.html

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9274583/tm.htm

http://www.dudadiesel.com/biodiesel_...ing_id=18:3:US

CV products in Thomasville, NC is a VP dealer, and VP sell's Methanol, Nitro, and many other race fuels.

Reagents - Charlotte, NC
Distributor, Manufacturer
Company Profile: ISO 9001:2000 certified manufacturer & distributor of methanol. Methanol is submicron filtered & packed under hydrogen. Specifications include minimum 99.5 to 99.9 percent assay, clear particulate free appearance, 5 or 10 APHA color, 0.1 to 0.10 percent water, 1ppm to 5 ppm residue after evaporation... & 0.0002 meq/g titrable base. Applications include use in gas & liquid chromatography, purge & trap analysis, spectrophotometry, for HPLC gradient analysis, histological applications & karl fischer determinations. Methanol is available in 200 mL to 200 L quantity with glass bottle, glass jug, metal can, metal drum, coated glass jug & PVC coated jug & bottle packaging.
Brand Names: Ultimar

Best Lab Deals - Garner, NC
Distributor, Manufacturer, Custom Manufacturer, Service Company
Company Profile: Methanol, chemicals, reagents & ready-to-use solutions. ISO 9001:2000, traceable to NIST standards. Manufactured to exact specifications.

LabDollars.com - Raleigh, NC
Distributor, Custom Manufacturer, Service Company
Company Profile: Methanol, chemicals, reagents & ready-to-use solutions. ISO 9001:2000, traceable to NIST standards. Manufactured to exact specifications.

Another source of 99%+ is the Bio Fuel experimenters, aince it is a ingrediant in Biodiesel.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:18 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking at the Atlanta Dragstrip web site the other day because my son is interested in trying out his Dodge Challenger on a future Test and Tune night. I believe the ticket is $20 to run your car but only a $10 pit pass to get in. I noticed on the web site that VP has a fuel station, so you could show up, pay $10 for a pit pass, and leave with a drum of methanol.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:14 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the fuel additive HEET contains methanol
Old 03-24-2010, 09:08 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: WhiteRook

the fuel additive HEET contains methanol

It would not be cost effective though to buy all the little Yellow bottles. Also, somebody would probaly buy the Red bottles which contain ISOPROPYL alcohol.[X(]
Old 06-04-2010, 07:54 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

I'd say the Go-kart tracks and motorhead hangouts...

Also, chemical companies/blenders will stock methanol, as they blend it for the racetrack, etc.