Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
Reload this Page >

On a Saito 4-stroke, can you go from 30% nitro to 15% w/o damage?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

On a Saito 4-stroke, can you go from 30% nitro to 15% w/o damage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 03:05 PM
VictoryRoll
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On a Saito 4-stroke, can you go from 30% nitro to 15% w/o damage?

I heard from a LHS that if I were to break-in my Saito on 15%, then switched to 30% nitro, I could not go back to the 15% (or anything lower than the 30% nitro). Any truth to the statement?

I was planning on a break-in w/ Coolpower 15% (17% syn) w/ an added 2 or 3 ozs. of Klotz castor added. Then I was planning to go to Powermaster 30% heli, as I already own (2 gallaons) ofit (and wanted to see the benefit, if any. But right now I cannot get the Powermaster as they have not yet restared distribution to Northeast (as far as I can tell).

Thanks in advance.

Don
Old 08-02-2010, 04:28 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: On a Saito 4-stroke, can you go from 30% nitro to 15% w/o damage?

Do what you want to do with the different fuels according to what fuel you can get - Just readjust the needle valve for the engine to run correct with each fuel. It doesn't hurt to go back to 15% after running 30%

The Cool Power is good when you add some castor oil to it.

With the 30% nitro you need 20% total oil either synthetic or combination synthetic/castor.

In a four stroke, I wouldn't run all castor, you need at least 50% synthetic. I prefer 75/25 synthetic/castor
Old 08-02-2010, 08:43 PM
VictoryRoll

W8ye,

So on the 15% Aero Coolpower, would adding the 2 or 3 ozs. be sufficient for break-in, in your experience/opinion, or should I add more?  I also plan on ALWAYS adding the 2 or 3 ozs. for the FA-100 Saito, you agree?

Thank you so much.  You are always one who we can all depend on for accurate, timely information and help.

Don
Old 08-02-2010, 08:51 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The two or three onces of castor oil will be enough

Enjoy
Old 08-03-2010, 07:46 AM
Augie11

I agree with W8 on all counts. That 2-3 oz. of extra castor per gallon will give you proper lubrication and encourage cool running. I've got 2 of those Saito 100's and they run like a dream and will idle forever purring like a kitten but ROAR when you open them up. Try a #F glow pluf if you haven't already.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:16 AM
VictoryRoll

Thanks Augie!   I appreciate the help & info!   I also plan on trying an OS #F plug too.  I was thinking of using the OEM Saito plug, run a couple of tankfuls, get readings of RPM & Temp, and then try the #F and see what the differences are.  I have only heard good news about the #F, so I appreciate your suggestion(s).

Thanks so much.

Don