Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Why castor oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:30 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Why castor oil?

I see European diesel cars in the USA. A guy at the flying field has a big new VW diesel wagon. He also has a fleet of Mercedes diesel service trucks for his plumbing Heating and Air Conditioning business.

The biggest thing that shoots diesel in the foot around here is that it costs $.50 more/ gal than gasoline.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:31 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuel Dino... Great Post! Agrees with everything I have noticed between 100% synthetic and castor blend fuels.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:27 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I see European diesel cars in the USA. A guy at the flying field has a big new VW diesel wagon. He also has a fleet of Mercedes diesel service trucks for his plumbing Heating and Air Conditioning business.

The biggest thing that shoots diesel in the foot around here is that it costs $.50 more/ gal than gasoline.

Yeah thats a problem the world over where diesel is taxed. In the US it more to do with demand management since the refinery's State sideare not configured to produce lots of high grade diesel i.e. they don't have a heck of a lot of hydrotreating capacity compared to a European refinery (Where diesel/ gasoline mix is about 50/50)

the market penetration of Europena diesels is slow due to not qute adequate fuel so OEM's are reluctant to release heir latest diesel engines over there. there also the difficulty of convincing people that a 2.0L turbo charged diesel can deliver the drivability that a small block V8 can....
Some folk will swing over because they like something different.

Not sure how the positioning of the Diesel fuel pump at service stations is coming along........, but most BMW 530d drivers don't like to fill up with the truckers...
Old 09-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: TimBle

YOu have different grades of diesel in the US, dependant on the state and also the climate. So Sulphur content varies.
However it is a well known fact that low sulphur in conjunction with a lower density reduces emissions. The diesel enginesin your trucks can run on the cleaner fuels but the big barrier is the cost of those fuels. California has Low sulphur diesel at around 15ppm but its not available in much of the rest of the country as far as I know. Yours is a problem of economics and hauler operator behaviour. If more of the passenger car market in the US was diesel then the fuel would be more widely available. Chicken and egg scenario

Sulfer has nothing to do with it. Small quite high speed diesels used in Europe need a fuel withhigh cetane numbers. In some countries it is labled as high speed diesel, others simply keep the cetane of all of their fuel high.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Sport_Pilot

The diesels sold in the US are not the same high speed diesels used overseas. I once rented one in Ireland and it was not the same sluggish performer ofa simaller sized diesel VW Rabbit PU that my father once owned. In fact it performed about what I would expect from any 1.5L gas engine care of the same size. It also did not have an idle ping, or rattle. Nor did it rattle on initial acceleration.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:53 AM
Sport_Pilot

In the US the diesel fuel is usually taxed higher at the state level. Not federal. The usual reason is that the large trucks pur more wear and tear on the roads, and supposedly the tax revenue is used to repair the roads. The tax is not applied to the refinery,and has nothing to do with refinery management.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:59 AM
w8ye

The VW rabbit diesel was deplorable for lack of performance. The last time I rode in one about 1985 and wanted to kick with my feet to get it going. It was a poor excuse for a car.

About the same time I rode in a Chevette diesel that had an Isuzu engine. I must say that it was very nice compared with a gasoline Chevette. I really liked it.

A guy at work had a Chevy S10 diesel that was an Isuzu and it seemed pretty nice too. He used it until the body wore out.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Sport_Pilot

I have driven a gas S10 and unless the diesel outperformed it, the high speed Renault Scenic with the 1.9L Diesel engine did much better. Drove like a V6 minivan, though I suppose it was much lighter, it had almost the same room. Perfect for the family to tour Ireland in. I wouldn't own one if imported to the US though, it seemed cheaply built.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:27 PM
TimBle

the lack of suitable diesel fuels is a demand issue. Demand drives refinery configuration and plant management. Tax is a state issue. Btw, sulphur is an issue to european diesels fitted with emissions control devices. Often older tech engines are fitted to US marketed cars in order to endure reliable operation. With more widespread availability of the ULSDiesel, will come the latest tech euro diesel engines (or as you call them, high speed diesels).Low cetane is a different problem but equally restrictive due to the extensive engine management remapping required.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:32 PM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: TimBle

Low sulphur it may be at 500ppm. in the US you have No 1-D S15, S500 and S5000 and No 2-D S15, S500 and S5000.

The semantics aside, the highest spec you have is No!-D S15, sold in California and few other states. the majority of your Diesel Fuel is S500 which by definition is not Low Sulphur Diesel since the Sulphur (Sulfur) content onlymeets <500ppm mass requirements.
Low Sulphur by Definition is distillate fuel containing <50ppm mass Sulphur.
Diesel S15 is classified as Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel fuel by international standards.

What really shoots the diesel passenger car market in the foot is the really low cetane of US diesel. It's only 40min. European diesels require around Cetane 47-48 minimum to operate effectively.

Sport Pilot,
not sure what you mean by "type". Thats pretty vague. Diesel is Diesel. Its a hydrocarbon based stream made up of Middle Distillate streams such as Kerosene,medium or heavynaphta, and Lights Oils. Moving from Gasoline to Diesel is a different "type". Whereas moving from Kerosene to Diesel Gas Oil is not so much a different type but a different product stream since both are Middle distillates. Kero being a light cut and diesel using light mediumand heavy cuts of Middle Distillate streams.

You have offroad diesel and On road diesel. Even the on road diesel is either S15 or S500. So its not type of fuel, but "quality" since its the quality specifications of the dieselthat needs to change (ASTM D975 Rev B)

I bought gas today at the BP station and the diesel pump said 15ppm sulfur

Old 09-30-2010, 02:51 AM
TimBle

ah well thats great then. Is it available at every service station or just a few selected service stations in the city?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:57 AM
w8ye

The 15ppm sulpur is the standard here in Ohio. In recent yrs I have not been out of the state so I have no clue about other areas
Old 10-07-2010, 07:49 PM
rc_lmd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have baja 5b, just wanna ask if castor oil and gasoline with bio-ethanol is a good mix?

Old 10-07-2010, 09:24 PM
w8ye

People have been using castor oil with E85 if that is what you are talking about?

E85 = 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline

Castor oil does not mix well with pure gasoline or even 10% ethanol / 90% gasoline

Old 10-07-2010, 09:55 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Castor oil does not mix well with pure gasoline or even 10% ethanol / 90% gasoline
Castor oil made for engine applications mixes just fine with gasoline. Just follow the manufacturer instructions. It will settle out below 35-40°F or so. Drug store castor I don't have any experience with.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:43 PM
w8ye

I think castor will even settle out of E85 at more or less std temp if it sets around for a couple months?
Old 10-08-2010, 11:45 AM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

No castor blends with ethanol without issue. If you get water in it all bets are off. I have the bottom of a gallon of E85-castor I mixed two years ago that's fine.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:10 AM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Augie11

Olive oil has been used here and there

You might try small batches of fuel to find out how it works?
I would think olive oil degrades at too low a temperature. Betcha the field smells great though!
I'd be surprised if it even dissolves in methanol. I suppose I should try the experiment. Would Extra Virgin be OK?

Iskandar