RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Fuels (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-fuels-161/)
-   -   Is Lacquer Fuel-proof? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-fuels-161/1326855-lacquer-fuel-proof.html)

3d-aholic 12-04-2003 01:14 PM

Is Lacquer Fuel-proof?

Anybody know.

Not sure what the base solvent is for Lacquer. The thinner looks to be Toluene or Acetone.

Sport_Pilot 12-04-2003 04:08 PM

RE: Is Lacquer Fuel-proof?

Only acrylic lacquer is fuel proof. Up to about 20% nitro. Thinners are a cocktail of acetone, mek, toulene, alcohol, zylol, and even mineral spirits. As well as other thinners and retarders. If you buy the Plasti-cote lacquer in a spray can you don't have to worry about thinners. This time of year just about any thinner should work. In the summer you will have to buy high gloss thinner or add a retarder to prevent it from flashing to quickly, which causes it to blush.

3d-aholic 12-04-2003 04:14 PM

I have lacquer from a spray can....don't know if its acrylic...have to check that out.

I might have to buy a spray can of clear Polyurethane I guess...to be sure. I need something that will hold up to fuel.

Thanks...!

Sport_Pilot 12-04-2003 04:51 PM

Acrylic is considered higher quality. If it doesn't say then it is probably nitrate which is not fuel proof. I would use nitrate if if it is marked as such then get a can of clear gloss acrylic lacquer from your parts store to cover it. If it doesn't say then it could be most anything. Technically a lacquer is any paint which includes a plastic which is disolved in solvents and hardens when those solvents evaporate, it does not cure or have a chain reaction to harden the resin as an enamal does. Our buterate airplane dope is a laquer.

w8ye 12-04-2003 11:11 PM

I'm trying not to dispute anything that is said but the original "Nitrate" was made by dissolving short cotton fibers in Nitric acid? This is according to what I read in a Frank Zaic manual some years ago.

I hope I was not getting off-topic here but Nitrate paint itself was never glow fuel resistant that I know of?

Enjoy,

Jim

3d-aholic 12-05-2003 12:17 AM

Well I already used the Lacquer....so I'm thinking I will get a clear coat of polyuethane. I'm pretty sure that will go over the Lacquer and it should be fuel proof.

Sport_Pilot 12-05-2003 08:19 AM

I hope I was not getting off-topic here but Nitrate paint itself was never glow fuel resistant that I know of?
Which is why I said I would cover it with a coat of clear acrylic lacquer. I would prefer this because it is much easier to use than polyurethane. Good chance the polyurethane will peal or bubble. Course it could with tha acrylic lacquer but I think the chances are better. If I knew it was a nitrate lacquer then the polyurethane, but being unknown it may be a blend of several types of paint.

boogalloo 12-05-2003 10:35 AM

Hey 2muchthrow

Dont get suckered into using poly....Stick with lacquer based poly especially if one of your primary concerns is fuel proofing and you already started with it. Deft brand is the way to go: http://www.deftfinishes.com/wood/woodprod.htm

WHY?

1) Extremely hard finish
2) Yes, THIS IS FUEL PROOF-
3) No sanding between coats - lacquer based melts into itself, each coat will melt down into the other
4) lighter than other finishing methods.

I would suggest brushing this on vs spraying it on for consistency. And I'll warn you beforehand, some may chime in with the old argument that lacquer is heavier than some of the others....Yes, you will have to use more coats to fill the glass weave but, remember, only about 20% of the product will stay, 80% will evaporate.

I then use 320 grit, then 400 grit....Now your ready for paint preping.....

good luck...

rflasch 12-06-2003 04:24 AM

Boogaloo--- You are correct--Lacquer sanding sealer is fuel proof, light, and easier to use....read a lacquer sanding sealer contents.
Deft products are 'finishing' lacquer and are indeed fuelproof. The poster is correct Acrylic Lacquer, Acrylic Enamel, Polyurethanes are all fuelproof also. Many of the hobby paints are not or somewhat non-fuelproof and often present incompatability problems because most are simple enamels or mixes of enamels........the real problem is they don't label exact contents----

W8YE-- ahhhh nitrocellulose, gun cotton, nitrate dope, all pretty similar materials in fact nitrocellulose+ nitroglycerin=smokeless powder(as in shotguns,pistols,rifles)

For the very best in finishes stick with automotive Acrylic Lacquer, Acrylic enamel, or Polyurethanes (the new basecoat/clearcote systems are polyurethane--the clearcote is a catalyzed polyurethane that is pretty close to the old epoxy paints in terms of durability)

I am not trying to be argumentative here either, just trying to get the point across that so many home use/ hobby finishes are very inferior products and confusing to use because of the incompatability issues and nothing is more heart-breaking than blisters and curdles on your pride and joy !!

3d-aholic 12-08-2003 09:21 PM

It is Rustoleum Lacquer...

Does that help as to whether it might be fuelproof.

Also, I'm spraying it over paper to build "homemade" decals as opposed to making it a full finish across the whole plane. Its amazing how real the decals look already....they are even translucent now after spraying the paper as the finish soaks into the paper threads.

Boss248 12-10-2003 01:05 AM

I also want to use Rust-Oleum if it is in fact fuel proof...but I also have a 80" wingspan Skybolt that will be using a gas motor so I am almost positive Rust-Oleum will work on that.

IDoes anyone know if acrylic _laquer is sold in can spray paint and if so what brand should I look for?

Sport_Pilot 12-10-2003 08:47 AM

I think Rust o leum is an enamel and only standard colors are fuel proof, that is the metallics, clear, etc. are not fuel proof. If you go to your auto parts store you may see more than one brand of auto touch up paint in 8, 12, and 14 ounce spray cans. Read the label many are acrylic laquer. I have used Plasti Kote truck and van paint with great success. The price is good also.