RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Fuels (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-fuels-161/)
-   -   Losi Nitrotane 30% oil %? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-fuels-161/5711512-losi-nitrotane-30%25-oil-%25.html)

Dragonfueled 04-13-2007 06:06 PM

Losi Nitrotane 30% oil %?

Anyone know the oil percent in the race formula 30% nitrotane?

Cam_132 03-23-2008 01:20 AM

RE: Losi Nitrotane 30% oil %?

i am pritty sure it is 16%

n19htmare 03-31-2008 01:30 PM

RE: Losi Nitrotane 30% oil %?

I called team Losi on this couple weeks back
20% Race was 10% oil
20% sport was 11 or 12% oil

30% I have no idea ;) but i'm guessing 16% maybe right

RCaddict80 10-21-2016 04:38 AM

Theres no way 30% nitrotane is using 16% lubrication.more like 8% at most

1QwkSport2.5r 10-21-2016 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by RCaddict80 (Post 12269482)
Theres no way 30% nitrotane is using 16% lubrication.more like 8% at most

Without finding an MSDS or evaporating out a measured amount of fuel, it's anyone's guess. I'll bet it's at least 12% oil though.

Seems to be a flurry of necrobumps lately.

RCaddict80 10-22-2016 06:23 AM

I do agree with you on the testing stratigy. However one would think if there running
that high of oil content...then they would advertise that like everyone else does who runs atleast 11%. I just noticed companies who run atleast 11% oil always advertises THAT ON THE BOTTLE. IVE RAN NITROTANE 30% AND I LIKED IT BUT NOW IM RUNNING 30% SPEED BLEND ODONNELL

1QwkSport2.5r 10-22-2016 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by RCaddict80 (Post 12269814)
I do agree with you on the testing stratigy. However one would think if there running
that high of oil content...then they would advertise that like everyone else does who runs atleast 11%. I just noticed companies who run atleast 11% oil always advertises THAT ON THE BOTTLE. IVE RAN NITROTANE 30% AND I LIKED IT BUT NOW IM RUNNING 30% SPEED BLEND ODONNELL

There are things the fuel companies will keep quiet - the oil package is typically the main thing they're hush hush about. The additives (if any) are another. However if a fuel company was straight up, they would publish an MSDS available to anyone without having to email or call them for it. Most fuel companies provide an MSDS on their webpage that will show what the composition of the fuel is. I would not use fuel from a company that doesn't provide an MSDS.

Ive used Blue Thunder, Trinity monster HP, Traxxas, Byrons, and ODonnells. I liked the Trinity the best, Blue Thunder next, but I didn't care for the other three with Traxxas being the worst. ODonnells mixes by weight, so you get a little more oil and a little less nitro (about 15% less nitro and about 2% more oil). I quit buying commercially made fuel due to cost - it's around $35 per gallon where I live (plus 7.5% sales tax). I mix my own fuel now for over 1/2 the price and make whatever blend I want. My favorite blend I'm using currently for regular running is 20% nitro 11% oil (7% castor 4% synthetic) and balance methanol. For break-in I use 20% nitro 14% oil (9% castor 5% synthetic) balance methanol. My engines run hot and overcompressed on more than 12% oil. With this fuel blend, the exhaust will leave an oil spot on the ground the size of a quarter after idling for 15 seconds with the carburetor tuned for slightly rich operation.

Im changing synthetic oils though - I used the rest of the Klotz Techniplate oil I had been using and am gonna try something else now.

RCaddict80 10-24-2016 04:36 AM

wow you actually mix up your own nitro fuel? thats awsome i think im gonna give that a shot any pointers? what should i use for oil? i always used klotz beanoil for my yamaha banshee and other 2 stroke applications do you think that would work for lubrication? or is there some specail lub u have to purchase? can u please give me the quick run down crash coarse version of how to mix it up? my nitros are...rc10gt2 with os18cvr and associated mgt 8.0. i run blue thunder in the 18 and 30% in the 8.0 but i used some blue thunder over the weekend and i actually liked the temps it was keeping 250 steady which is kinda unheard of for an 8.0 engine but i been spending a lot of time on this engine since i bought it brand new like 2 months ago and im super particulr not to mention i am a master certified mechanic so i have alot of experiance with typical engine perforemance. thanks

1QwkSport2.5r 10-24-2016 05:45 AM

Find methanol first. If you can source it locally, it's cost efficient to mix your own. Methanol carries hazmat fees if you ship it, so it's not cost effective to ship it. I get methanol from an oil company near my house they sells race gas. Cost is around $3 per gallon. Nitro you can get on Amazon or eBay, usually shipped free. Oil - I don't use Benol - it's a modified castor. I only use virgin castor oil - get it from SPLube.com for about $25 a gallon. For synthetic oil (I only use a little bit of this in my car fuel), you can use Klotz Techniplate. You can get this from Klotz or SIG Manufacturing. Buying a quantity of all of the components is a large investment, but a gallon each of nitro and oil and 5 gallons of methanol will easily give you 7-8 gallons of mixed fuel for half the price of premixed fuel. I usually get two seasons out of a 5-gallon bucket of methanol. Mix your fuel outside with good ventilation - NO SMOKING OR SPARKS!!!!! Alcohol fires can be a real problem because alcohol burns with very little flame color. You must be very vigilant mixing fuel - care must be taken doing it.

Disclaimer - I take no responsibility it you burn your house down. BE CAREFUL.

As far as engine temps go - your engine is probably set a bit lean if you're seeing 250F engine temps. Ideally you want to be 185-230F.