Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

shock for my FS Racing monster truck

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

shock for my FS Racing monster truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 08:56 PM
madman2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shock for my FS Racing monster truck

Hello everyone, I have an FS Racing monster truck and I just noticed that the shocks leaked, so I refilled them and put them back on the truck. After running the truck I cleaned it down and noticed that it looked like the shocks were leaking again, but when I filled it this time I noticed that right away they started to leak. It looks like some of the gaskets have wore out. What replacement shocks can I use for it, like the HPI Baja shocks, or is there any tutorial on properly rebuilding them. I have rebuilt 1/10 and 1/8 shocks and had not problems with them, but these shocks seems to be giving me a problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: shock for my FS Racing monster truck

Is this car a MCD-clone (sorry to say it )? Or does it have similarities with MCD? If so, i guess the shocks will have a direct fit. But anyway, if you find some with the same length it doesnt matter what car they are from as long as it is 1/5-scale. They can always be tuned to suit you car! Maybe you can find some cheap used ones and rebuild them.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:44 AM
madman2k

Yeah, it is an MCD clone. I was wondering if the ones for the Baja would fit in.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure, but i think tha Baja ones are longer then the MCD ones. Measure yours (shocks that is ), and then get someone to measure the Baja shocks, it is as simple as that
Old 09-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Rallyfinnen

I replaced them with the GPM shocks:
http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/lsh....daempfer,.htm

Great value,  has worked fine! Get four long ones.

Another option could be FG shocks.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Jgilk1

why not rebuild them???

few o-rings, rubber washer.... and your good
Old 09-26-2010, 08:00 AM
madman2k

I did rebuild them, but they still leaked after. I don't know if I rebuilt it wrong or if it is just how FS Racing designed their shocks.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Jgilk1

hum worse then before i take it? where are they leaking from?? (i assume the piston rod) did you use 1 or 2 or rings on the piston rod and how much room do they have to move around... you may have to use thicker o-rings to take up the space from the "abuse" the the piston shaft....

Old 09-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Rallyfinnen

If you find a way to get the FS shocks leak free and reliable, please let me know!

I spent many hours taking mine apart and modifying them over and over again, until I finally decided they were destined for the bin..
Only regret is that I spent time on the FS shock in the first place..

What I found:
-The c-clip design is a POS, clips break and come loose from every minor jump.
-The top rubber volume compensation is not working, because the edge of the shock housing is too sharp/thin, so it cuts the silicone rubber when tightened to be leak free, and not become loose from driving. Not enough surface to make a good seal. Also the ring in plastic cap is the wrong diameter to propely hold the rubber in place, and the outer diameter of the plastic is too small, so it almost goes inside the shock housing (it actually did after a hard landing).
-The plastic forks are a joke too, they need to be metal, or they bend and deform from jumping.

My conclusion: FS shocks are not worth the effort, they will never hold up for serious offroad driving. The FS is not a great car, and the shocks are about the worst thing on it.
Replace them, or even better, -get another car.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:45 PM
madman2k

I just got mine working leak free over the weekend. I purchased a few rubber o rings and put them into the bottom of the shock, gently pushing them into the hole with a very tiny flat head screw driver, then a bigger o ring after the very small one, and now no leak. When I rebuilt it this time I made sure to lube the shock shaft for the rubber o ring to slide and that made a monster of a difference, because now it doesn't leak.

Live and learn.

The two different sized o rings and the new e-clips cost a total of 50 cent Canadian, a lot better that the $200 I seen for new MCD upgrade shocks.