Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

need help on future purchace

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 08:15 PM
jamesfouquet
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help on future purchace

I am going to buy a 1/5 scale but am not sure wich one is the best I am leaning on the HPI 5b ss, but there is a redcat dune runner for half the price.My question is does anyone have or know anything about the redcat, my past experince with them makes me leary of buying anouther one. I dont know if it was because it was my first nitro or what but i had many problems with it. now i have a t maxx and an OFNA LX Ultra One both are great and have minimal missues. I am confident in the HPI. Or is there any others I should look at
Old 10-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Sherv
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: need help on future purchace

ORIGINAL: jamesfouquet

I am going to buy a 1/5 scale but am not sure wich one is the best I am leaning on the HPI 5b ss, but there is a redcat dune runner for half the price.My question is does anyone have or know anything about the redcat, my past experince with them makes me leary of buying anouther one. I dont know if it was because it was my first nitro or what but i had many problems with it. now i have a t maxx and an OFNA LX Ultra One both are great and have minimal missues. I am confident in the HPI. Or is there any others I should look at
First of all do you live Rwd?
If so then go with the Baja SS
available at www.davesmotors.com with 5% coupon code (DDM)
or Rwd 850 dollar FG available at Daves as well.

do you want 4wd?
Then go with a Nutech model available at www.zerogravityrc.com
I recommend this because for the price bracket you are looking for the Nutech is the only sub 900 dollar 4wd model that is relatively trouble free with a good CY engine.

If you want to spend extra then look at FG 4wd but it will cost you.

Redcat needs extra money and time spent to make them durable. I recommend you wait for the Redcat XT if you want a redcat model. Wait till you see what people have to say about it plus the recats come with a non CY or Zenoah motor which means less power and less reliabilty/durability
Old 10-12-2010, 08:27 PM
jamesfouquet

money isn't really the issue as long as i can keep the price under 2 grand before hop ups and servos I haven't found a rc car yet that comes with good enough servo from the factory.. rwd or 4wd i don't know i am undecided and would to hear opinions all my rc cars have been 4wd so I dont really know how a rwd will be.

also i want one I can eaisly get hop ups for mainly the motor
Old 10-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Sherv

ORIGINAL: jamesfouquet

money isn't really the issue as long as i can keep the price under 2 grand before hop ups and servos I haven't found a rc car yet that comes with good enough servo from the factory.. rwd or 4wd i don't know i am undecided and would to hear opinions all my rc cars have been 4wd so I dont really know how a rwd will be.

also i want one I can eaisly get hop ups for mainly the motor
4wd period.

Rwd is not worth it unless on road and even then its a handful.

If money isnt an issue then consider the nutechs and FGs.
FG 4wd beetle pro is real nice!

Honestly if you are just going to bash then look at the nutech Mega monster trucks, there are other versions with alloy too. Spend that extra cash in new servos, kill switch, and w/e you want. FG 4wd monster trucks are also nice and for a little less than 2k you can get independent disk brakes.

Nutechs are affordable and durable

FGs are more pricey, well made and belt driven, and durable.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:58 PM
jamesfouquet

thanks for the help. I like to bash with my tr maxx . my OFNA is track only buugy. if i spend the money i think i am going to spend i want to race and really need to do some research on what i can race and what i cant I really like the HPI but I think i read somwhere I couldnt race it. Thee arnt any tracks here but there are some in Houston I will go there. and ask around a bit before I buy.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:35 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

The Cat Dunerunner is a sub $600 LargeScale with very few problems and it will allow you to grow with your hobby. They are back in stock now at [link=http://www.RampageHopUps.com]Rampage Hop Ups[/link]

The HPI is a proven vehicle and a joy to drive and Hop-up.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:37 PM
kenazzo2000

go 4wd mate
Old 10-12-2010, 10:33 PM
DarkFire989

[link]http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.6648/.f[/link]

All it needs is servos and TX/RX. The only upgrade you really need is a new exhaust.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:41 PM
speedypetey61

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Listen here is what you want to start out with.... http://www.largescalerc.com/mcdracer...sport26cc.aspx

They have great support from LSRC, great guys to do business with, plenty of hop ups and the BEST 4wd 5th scale on the market.
This version is the entry level, but I assure you the quality on them is the BEST around for this price...Willing to spend a bit more, go with there next model up.

The Nutech's are nice as well, but my choice would be MCD all the way.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:11 AM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RAMTech-HBF-LSF

The Cat Dunerunner is a sub $600 LargeScale with very few problems and it will allow you to grow with your hobby. They are back in stock now at [link=http://www.RampageHopUps.com]Rampage Hop Ups[/link]

The HPI is a proven vehicle and a joy to drive and Hop-up.
I have the Dune Runner and it has been the least expensive buggy to run compared to the MCD and the Baja. It is a big beast though and you won't win any speed challenges but it is a tough nut to crack!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:44 AM
mooman007uk

If you're going to race then you don't want a dune runner...bit on the heavy side.
I don't know where you heard they don't race 5b's cos 90% of races in USA seem to be for 2wd 5b/5t , probably because they've been the biggest seller to date...4wd is slowly gaining a foothold though and i imagine will be the biggest class in the not too distant future.
hard to believe that there are, ar present, only really 3 main choices for 4wd track machines, IMO they are FG, nutech and MCD...not really much else out there that'd be competetive unless you want to spend about 3k on a lauterbacher 4wd megacross[X(]...
the 2010 hurrax pyrad RS truggy is looking promising as another higher end contender (buggy is the crypton) , we'll see how that pans out after a couple more of us get our hands on them to try.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:10 AM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Redcat Rampages took 1st, 2nd and 3rd at the LargeScale PowerJam race this year. Not sure what you call competetive, but being on the winner's stand is always a joy!!

Old 10-13-2010, 11:15 AM
bbuzzard

^^

Old 10-13-2010, 12:26 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

This weekend is anohter fun run at LargeScaleRC, and there will be MCDs, FGs, Nutech and Rampages. The Rampage XT Buggy and XT Truck will both be racing for the first time on any LargeScale track!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fnmYOCW4J4[/youtube]
Old 10-13-2010, 08:44 PM
jamesfouquet

I have made the desicion to go with the HPI 5bss frome largescalerc.com  with the upgraded 30.5 cc  engine  my question is the radio and a kill switch   I was thinking of the futaba 3ch it seems like its pretty well priced what i dont know is the kill switch does it nmatter whitch radio i have or does it work independitly from the radio can i control the kill switch from the radio.  how does the whole system work do i still need a fail safe
Old 10-13-2010, 08:54 PM
bbuzzard

You will need a kill-switch for that beast...I use the Killer B v2 with my Futaba 3PM-X
www.killerrc.com/products/products/killswitch.php

Old 10-13-2010, 11:13 PM
DarkFire989

You are going to want a better exhaust with a 30.5cc motor.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:21 AM
pythonfan

ORIGINAL: bbuzzard

You will need a kill-switch for that beast...I use the Killer B v2 with my Futaba 3PM-X
http://www.killerrc.com/products/pro...killswitch.php

This, i use the killerbee v1 as i wanted to be able to kill the car by the 3ch switch instead of just shutting off the radio. The killswitch is a must have, i had two runaways with my baja and got really lucky to say the least. I use the built in futaba 3pm-x failsafe for the brakes and then the kill switch for added security.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:33 AM
pythonfan

ORIGINAL: DarkFire989

You are going to want a better exhaust with a 30.5cc motor.
This to.

If your looking at the baja then i highly suggest you look at http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88.../it.A/id.47/.f , fastest shipping, largest supplier for parts and upgrades, you can get the same head kit for the motor and if you use the rcu coupon your gonna save more then at largescalerc.