Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Plane guy wanting to get a RC truck - LOVES 1/5 scale looks and GAS!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Plane guy wanting to get a RC truck - LOVES 1/5 scale looks and GAS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 02:42 PM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plane guy wanting to get a RC truck - LOVES 1/5 scale looks and GAS!!!

Okay, guys - I've been around RC planes for years, glow, electric, and gas. However, I'm wanting to get into something I can do with my dad. Would love to get into RC trucks - not racing, not competition, not anything but running around in the back 4 acres of our house with him.

I'm really liking the Baja 5T looks, size, and the fact that it uses GAS and not GLOW (aghhhh).

Am I crazy for starting with something this big?

Seriously, it's the ONLY truck I will own, PERIOD. Do NOT plan to get into big time (dad's not that type either) but want something that we can have a lot of fun with.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Sherv
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Plane guy wanting to get a RC truck - LOVES 1/5 scale looks and GAS!!!

You need to decide if you want Rwd or 4wd then go from there.

Rwd
HPI Baja 5 b/t
FG Rwd MT/ST/MB/Buggy

4wd
Nutech MT/ST/Buggy/Rally
FG 4wd Buggy/MT/ST/MB
MCD Buggy/MT/ST/SC
Old 10-20-2010, 03:18 PM
DarkFire989

Default RE: Plane guy wanting to get a RC truck - LOVES 1/5 scale looks and GAS!!!

If you want to do any jumping the Baja isnt very good at it. It likes to nose dive a lot.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:29 PM
cadconversions

I really don't have an opinion between 4wd and 2wd. All I'm planning to do is run it around in an open field with no real jumps. If I was going glow - it would HAVE to be 4wd just because of the size but with the larger 1/5 scale I think I would he happy with either one.

I have a sloping 4 acres behind our mini-storage that joins up to the backyard of the house. Literally, it's just a great area to run and we might eventually cut a dirt track into the field but that's pretty much it.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me that you don't need a 4wd car as they are pretty controllable in 2wd versus the smaller cars (nitro) that will spinn around itself with 2wd. If i am going to buy an HPI in the future i am going to buy the 5T, i like the scale appearance of the body and it is HUUGE. But if you want to you can remove a few parts and buy the 5B-body, then you suddenly have a buggy

The "bad" thing with the 5T is that the body is a bit expensive to replace, unless you get a body from other manufacturers which are a bit cheaper. It is also a bit more top heavy than the 5B with this huge body, but still i think it is hard to roll over compared to many other cars that are 5th/6th scale.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:54 PM
DarkFire989

Although I dont own one, a 2WD FG MT would be my pick, its next on my list for a large scale. I drive my friends a lot, it is incredibly durable.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:46 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

What is your budget?
Old 10-20-2010, 10:19 PM
cadconversions

I have several large planes I plan to sell to fund the purchase but I would like to keep in the $1000 range or under..... Or is two glow (yuck) or electric 1/10 scale 4wd monster trucks more fun?
Old 10-21-2010, 12:03 AM
skidooman

i really like my nutech monster truck 4wd.
i would imagine the 2d hpi 5t is a pretty nice machine as well, but my nutech was much less money and 4wd to boot. talk to scott at zerogravity rc. he can give you the lowdown on all the 1/5 scale gas trucks
btw the gas cars are much more fun than the electrics or nitro's.

what kind of gas planes do you have? i dont think i have ever seen a gas plane before. they must be big.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:53 AM
DarkFire989

For 1000$ you could get

Redcat Rampage MT ( Or other Rampage Models )
HPI Baja 5B
FG MT ( If you have electronics already )
Nutech MT ( Or other Nutech Models )

I might be forgetting some but I forget.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:22 AM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Gas is way more fun than Nitro because of less maintenance headaches with the motors and the older you get, the harder it is to see those tiny nitros from a distance, LOL!
Old 10-21-2010, 01:05 PM
cadconversions

ORIGINAL: skidooman

i really like my nutech monster truck 4wd.
i would imagine the 2d hpi 5t is a pretty nice machine as well, but my nutech was much less money and 4wd to boot. talk to scott at zerogravity rc. he can give you the lowdown on all the 1/5 scale gas trucks
btw the gas cars are much more fun than the electrics or nitro's.

what kind of gas planes do you have? i dont think i have ever seen a gas plane before. they must be big.

I've had planes anywhere from 26cc upto a 150cc bipe... I'm more electric now and only have one 26cc gasser bipe left now.

So, it sounds like I'm NOT crazy for going straight to a large scale truck for my first turn around the dirt!
Old 10-21-2010, 09:19 PM
DarkFire989

If you want a 2.4GHZ Baja 5T there is one for sale brand new on the HPI Baja Forum. 1050$
Old 10-21-2010, 10:14 PM
willclark77
My Feedback: (2)

You're not crazy for jumping right into 1/5 scale.  If I had known then what I know now I would've skipped right to 1/5 when I first got into r/c a few years ago.  Sure, it's more expensive initially, but the big up front cost is offset by the amount of fun time vs maintennance. 

A gasser will run 45+ minutes on a tank of fuel with no need to stop (although I will let mine cool, mostly for the clutch, if I'm running in loamy dirt).  A nitro, ten minutes maybe.  When you go to play all you need for a gasser is the car, radio, full batteries, and an allen wrench set in case a screw backs out, and maybe fuel if you'll be a long time.  With nitro you'll need all of that plus fuel is mandatory, glow plugs, glow starter, screw driver, etc.  Also, I jump my gassers as high/hard as 1/8 nitros and break less stuff.  They're not nimble at all, but tough.

I'd suggest you go to your lhs if you have one and look at different models.  I don't have one that carries any 1/5 scale stuff.  If you don't either, I'd suggest the 5t for field running.  The 5b is awesome, but doesn't do well if the grass is over 2" tall.  I have the 5b, 5t, and clones.  I'm not going to say which has been the most reliable and highest quality out of the box because I'm not up for that argument, but if your budget is $1,000, it's hard not to eye the 5b or km clone of it. 

You'll want to have enough cash left over for a spare steering servo since they're not known for longevity, an extra clutch (I'd suggest an elcon because they'll last longer than two tanks and I love mine), and a few items like a pull start filter. 
Old 10-22-2010, 12:24 AM
cadconversions

I really like the 5T with just the looks so far... Not much of a "rail" looking guy like the 5B but I understand they are basically the same vehicle. Hoping to pick up one used but will see how it happens. Haven't heard of the FG's, Red Rampages, etc... since I'm not in the hobby but anything you can buy from Tower I know...

It's almost impossible when I read over a few of the threads to even start thinking about the knowledge that some of you guys have... I just want to have fun in a big way!
Old 10-22-2010, 07:48 AM
Obeast44

Holy smokes man, just now noticed your from Scottsville. If you dont mind driving up to Hart Co. we can show you a Baja 5b, a Redcat Rampage MT and a Nutech Thunderbolt 2 in person. PM me if you want and we can set something up so you can see them run
Old 10-22-2010, 09:53 AM
mooman007uk

if you're just going to run back and forth on grass and want something that handles well, is durable, fast as hell with a good pipe, will pop power wheelies and has a million available hop ups/upgrades then I'd strongly suggest an FGbaja 2wd...it'll give you more fun in a field than an HPI. they also come with a 26cc zen instead of cy or clone of one[&:] but no servos...however aside from the hpi all the others mentioned have crap servos anyhow that'll need to be replaced as they tend to... er...expire pretty quick.
And with the fgbaja if you decide you want to get a 4wd down the road then a conversion kit is available for about $400...hpi don't have this option.

if you're set on the looks of the 5T then the CEN 5-SC 4wd might be an option...half the price and 4wd
Old 10-22-2010, 11:13 AM
cadconversions

ORIGINAL: Obeast44

Holy smokes man, just now noticed your from Scottsville. If you dont mind driving up to Hart Co. we can show you a Baja 5b, a Redcat Rampage MT and a Nutech Thunderbolt 2 in person. PM me if you want and we can set something up so you can see them run
PM sent - look forward to getting together soon.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:33 PM
DarkFire989

I have heard about the CEN, people saying it has bad diffs and you need to get the MCD ones so it can take the abuse. [&:]
Old 10-22-2010, 07:34 PM
mooman007uk

I agree, the fs suffers from weak planetary diffs like all the MCD evolutions seem to ...not sure if CEN addressed this or not...probably not, but this is the first one in private hands I know of so not much available info on durability yet...we'll see the next few times it's run how they hold up...it's stock now but once the owner pipes it things may go south...however for grass bashing i don't think the diffs would be under too much stress..but I could be wrong
Old 10-25-2010, 11:03 PM
willclark77
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: cadconversions

INot much of a "rail" looking guy like the 5B
I hear ya. The rail look was one of the reasons it was my first large scale though, even if not the most practical. It reminded me of my 1:1 toy

Old 10-26-2010, 11:06 AM
cadconversions

WOW...that looks kind of slow Men and our toys!
Old 10-28-2010, 01:53 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

for a $1000 just add 300bux more and get 2 rampages 1 mt and 1 buggy!
Old 10-29-2010, 11:22 AM
cadconversions

I have a possible trade on a Baja buggy with a guy for one of my smaller gas planes. Hopefully that will go through and I can be running soon.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Obeast44

Sweet man! Thats good to hear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.