Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

baja took some damage toda

Old 10-23-2010, 04:38 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default baja took some damage toda

driving in a dirt pit.
1st, one of the rear tires shot a good sized rock which hit my ankle
then on a 4 roll crash, the rear tires went as well as one of the rear shock mounts.
nothing that cant be fixed, but i was saving for axle extenders now i have to save for new rear tires.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82081.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1521635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41678.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1521636  
Old 10-23-2010, 04:49 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Default RE: baja took some damage toda

also, a couple of times recently my pull cord got stuck fully out. i used a screwdriver to move it back in just a little and it zipped back in and worked fine after that.

is there anything i should do to the recoil to help it work better/smoother. i dont think it was caused by rocks or anything, as i have a pre-filter on the recoil. i know that some 2-stroke yard tools have alot of oil or grease on the cord. is that something that i should do on the baja?
Old 10-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is something you absolutely don't want! All the fine dust is collecting on the cord making bad even worse. Only thing you can use to lubricate is graphite powder or similar dry lubricant, no fluids.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:37 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Lars from Norway

That is something you absolutely don't want! All the fine dust is collecting on the cord making bad even worse. Only thing you can use to lubricate is graphite powder or similar dry lubricant, no fluids.
see, this is why im glad to have a forum like this, since i had the wrong idea!
thanx, i will look for graphite powder. is that something that a auto shop would likely have?
Old 10-23-2010, 07:37 PM
willclark77
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's not too much damage.  Long as you had fun breaking it!

Most hobby shops and auto stores have graphite powder.  The pull starts will get grit in them eventually, even with a filter.  But like Lars said, you definately don't want to get the rope oily.  That'll make it hold dirt.  I've tried cleaning and assembling mine dry as well as putting a very, very thin film of machine oil on the back of the pawl mechanism itself.  Both ways last about the same amount of time before sticking.  Your km probably came stock with a metal pawl.  I'd just yank the bolts holding the assembly on, blow it out with compressed air while yanking the rope till smoothe, then reassemble.  Maybe spray a bit of carb cleaner or wd40 to help rise it out if it is being stubborn.  Don't get it on the rope though.  It'll weaken the rope quickly.