Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Redcat Racing Rampage MT V3- Let's review UPDATE: 2/24/11...gone...

The truck looks great Dale, especially with those meatier rims on. I know from fiddling with 1/6th scale savages that having huge MT rims and tires is an intoxicating proposition, but the reality is often disappointing.

It's good you stuck with it, I've been eyeing up a Rampage to convert to brushless where the problem of bogging with the petrol motor would be suitably offset with a gnarly enough drive system. If the truck isn't reliable though then it's pointless heaping further complexity onto it with a power conversion.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

The truck looks great Dale, especially with those meatier rims on. I know from fiddling with 1/6th scale savages that having huge MT rims and tires is an intoxicating proposition, but the reality is often disappointing.

It's good you stuck with it, I've been eyeing up a Rampage to convert to brushless where the problem of bogging with the petrol motor would be suitably offset with a gnarly enough drive system. If the truck isn't reliable though then it's pointless heaping further complexity onto it with a power conversion.
    Thanks for the compliment. My Rampage and I are doing better for sure after another few runs.

IMO I think that the drivetrain could probably handle a big brushless setup if you can get some kind of slipper in place to ease into the power instead of dumping it all onto the drivetrain immediately. Once the drivetrain is engaged and rolling out, that isn't going to be a problem. It's only when you throw 3HP of brushless torque from a dead stop that I could see parts screaming for help.
    *** Support your local tracks ***

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What a comedy of errors this truck is for me... So, I was participating in a professional COW RC video shoot today with helicopter cams, professional photographers, the whole shabang. There was about 50 people there. I had my HPI 5B, HPI 5T and Rampage. I planned on running each one in a cycle to get each one in the video. So, after about 10 minutes of easy run time, the Rampage begins to rev but not move at the very beginning of a scene shoot!!! whaaaaa???

Upon close inspection, the Rampage failed me again... AGAIN!!! Nothing broke, but the main transmission idler gear set nut came loose after securing with thread lock AND using the nyloc nut. Really? Are you kidding me? Really?

The only cool thing is when the gear came loose, it melted a perfect circle in the gear cover which is pretty sweet.

After this mishap, I literally ran the HPI 5B & 5T in cycles for 3 hours STRAIGHT with 0 issues. It wasn't until we ran a massive launch ramp that I broke a few rod ends from the rear shocks of both HPI Bajas.

People just walked buy and talked to me about the Rampage. They just laughed at the amount of problems this platform has given me and what a contrast it was to see that break and see the abuse the HPI Bajas took. So, I have my second HPI Baja now which I should have bought in the first place. The Rampage is getting cleaned up and sold. I am 100% done with it and I can't recommend the Redcat Rampage to anyone.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry to hear that you are giving up on the MT that gear cover did'nt have enough vent holes and that let the gears get hot and made the loctite let go leve the cover off and clean the threads off with brake clean and put the gears back on use red loctite and install the nut on and let it set up for 30 min do you have a shim on that shaft so you can tighten that nut good and tight without binding up the bearing Jim
    RC10GT Savage 21 Miss Bud 1/8
    Redcat Rampage MT 1/5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've seen that happen on Noyb's Hurrax (it might have been the FG or the Nutech, can't keep count with all the cars he has...), so don't be stressed...it happens to the best of us, LOL!!!
    Baja SC / Redcat Rampage MT / FG Marder(XTM) / Xaircraft X450Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: racetruck

Sorry to hear that you are giving up on the MT that gear cover did'nt have enough vent holes and that let the gears get hot and made the loctite let go leve the cover off and clean the threads off with brake clean and put the gears back on use red loctite and install the nut on and let it set up for 30 min do you have a shim on that shaft so you can tighten that nut good and tight without binding up the bearing Jim
    I hear ya... The old me would be planning the best way to address this. The fed up me just doesn't care.

By design, the Rampage should have been designed as such that the gear cover didn't need vent holes. The vent holes are a remedy to a poor design. All of these fixes we do and put up with are just remedies and band-aids to poor design. I was willing to overlook design and material shortcomings to a point but I hit my limit. Maybe the new owner will fare better than me.

My new 5BSS that I bought thrashed and rebuilt last night already gave me 2 perfect hours of runtime today! My 5T is bone stock and has given me probably 20 solid hours of runtime over the last 2 years with very few repairs and none to address manufacturing shortcomings. There is now in my mind no comparison between the Rampage and HPI 5B platform. They are in different leagues. Maybe the new Rampage line will close the gap, but as it stands now that gap is wide and IMO peoples' money is better spent on an HPI 1/5 scale product. Keep in mind that HPI and Redcat are all I know for 1/5 scale, so I am not attempting to say that other brands are inferior- I just don't know anything about them to say anything.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think the whole problem lies in the 4 gear transmission...too many moving parts generating a lot of heat and variables which will lead to failure. The latest belt drive systems that are being released may cure this but the simple spur and pinion transmission is really efficient and cheap. it just sounds like laziness on the part of the manufacturers...Now, keep in mind that I have a MCD that runs the similar setup but too me and it runs great with metal gears but it is outdated.
    Baja SC / Redcat Rampage MT / FG Marder(XTM) / Xaircraft X450Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

with steel gears you don't need to run a cover and really shouldn't as steel generates a lot more heat that can be bad for bearings and loctite, ..i've never had a nut come off using just blue loctite with no cover and never had a problem with running open gears... all my 1/5ths with steel or plastic gears i've ended up running with no cover...all they do is retain and build heat.
    I do understand your frustration ...as regards the rampage (I had the V1 so issues were infinitesimal) i could write a novel on trying to make a silk purse out of a pig's ear, in 2 1/2 yrs of tinkering i think i managed to make a hessian purse at best but i can honestly say, despite it's foibles, i still had a heap of fun with it. you've come this far and done all the necessaries so i'd be inclined to suggest that you ditch the cover, loctite the bloodly bejesus out of the nut and give it one more chance. before i retired mine ol' piggy ended up being a pretty god damn stalwart rc, though since it's release, it's become a bit of a dinosaur. However at the time it was released it was the only 4wd 1/5th mainstream option back then other than the MCD which wasn't much more reliable and cost 3 times as much.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mooman007uk

all they do is retain and build heat.

and stop rocks from completely destroying them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

never had an issue i most of my running has been in gravel pits

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i ordered the belt drive from rc force for my cen matrix sc5 not here yet but i have ran 9 tanks of gas on the plastic gears an they still look good i did boil the gears first

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

shoulda bought a nutech
    Just saying. But give up on a loose set screw? Thats a little weak IMO. Of all the problems a Rampage platform brings.. A loose set screw is what breaks the camels back lol?
    MGT 4.6 w/ JP-3 (In the future)| MGT 3.0 | OFNA DM-1 Pro (future) | Savage Flux 2350 | Associated T4 FT CL | Lots a Planes!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Sherv

shoulda bought a nutech
    Just saying. But give up on a loose set screw? Thats a little weak IMO. Of all the problems a Rampage platform brings.. A loose set screw is what breaks the camels back lol?
    .......and the Nutech Fanboy chimes in again. TRUST me we get it you like Nutechs. I for one am tired of the same **** from you in every Redcat based thread.

Dale: Good luck with the 5bs Dale, its a shame to hear your gettin rid of the Ramp.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

What a comedy of errors this truck is for me... So, I was participating in a professional COW RC video shoot today with helicopter cams, professional photographers, the whole shabang. There was about 50 people there. I had my HPI 5B, HPI 5T and Rampage. I planned on running each one in a cycle to get each one in the video. So, after about 10 minutes of easy run time, the Rampage begins to rev but not move at the very beginning of a scene shoot!!! whaaaaa???

Upon close inspection, the Rampage failed me again... AGAIN!!! Nothing broke, but the main transmission idler gear set nut came loose after securing with thread lock AND using the nyloc nut. Really? Are you kidding me? Really?

After this mishap, I literally ran the HPI 5B & 5T in cycles for 3 hours STRAIGHT with 0 issues. It wasn't until we ran a massive launch ramp that I broke a few rod ends from the rear shocks of both HPI Bajas.

People just walked buy and talked to me about the Rampage. They just laughed at the amount of problems this platform has given me and what a contrast it was to see that break and see the abuse the HPI Bajas took. So, I have my second HPI Baja now which I should have bought in the first place. The Rampage is getting cleaned up and sold. I am 100% done with it and I can't recommend the Redcat Rampage to anyone.

Sucks you are having problems man, but I just find it amusing when hpi Baja owners have to consistently point out they have the HPI version, just the amount of times you mention it makes me chuckle.
    Redcat really just make ebay stuff that are designed for carparks and backyards, I wouldn't ever take a redcat product to a racetrack of any type.
    Quanum Vandal, Turnigy Trooper, Hobao Hyper 8.5, HB Lightning Stadium 2 Pro, Metro Jethopper

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To be frank, HPI does make some great stuff, but they are not immune to errors. Releasing the Savage Flux with crappy diffs that wouldn't just loose teeth, but would actually shatter into pieces, Fiery escs due to incorrect gearing out of the box and people using nimh batteries because the manual says you can when Castle explicitly state using lipos only... The Blitz was released as a competition sc truck but had a diff that would leak oil, HPIs initial reaction was to fill it with grease and then fit a spring to increase friction within the bevels... By having them rub on the diff case halves. My MTDT is an amazingly designed truck, but has little things like the rear wheels rubbing on the trailing arms as they are an incorrect offset, the suspension arms are so short that they require cvds to ensure the dogbones stay in place. I have a bag of spares so when it inevitably loses one i can carry on running.

The Baja was a home run for HPI, no doubt and the Redcat has many issues, but very few RCs are perfect. The Baja didn't really push any boundaries, it's relatively light, with light, small diameter wheels, 2wd, simple and tough. It looks pretty 'scale' but it was an interpretation of what was already around, remade to be more attractive. If you put the Baja and the Rampage MT next to each other and asked people what they wanted to drive with no prior knowledge, i'm guessing the Baja would have dust on it by the time anyone picked it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hey dale mine made that exact same pretty round hole too, did you manage to find the other bit it too comes off in an exact circle. dont give up on it yet! 1 question when you fitted the v1 arms and you had to modify the chassis did you need to fit limiting straps?
    i wish i got 6 months paid holiday twice a year

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Obeast44

ORIGINAL: Sherv

shoulda bought a nutech
    .......and the Nutech Fanboy chimes in again. TRUST me we get it you like Nutechs. I for one am tired of the same **** from you in every Redcat based thread.

Dale: Good luck with the 5bs Dale, its a shame to hear your gettin rid of the Ramp.

It's a forum... Deal with it. It's not my fault you cant fill a gas tank without tipping the car to it's side due to poor motor skills...

I also recommend you give the redcat another chance, dont be like freezetron. You pretty much ironed out almost all of the issues there is no point in giving up on it now especially over a set screw.
    MGT 4.6 w/ JP-3 (In the future)| MGT 3.0 | OFNA DM-1 Pro (future) | Savage Flux 2350 | Associated T4 FT CL | Lots a Planes!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

dont give up dale you have came to far with the redcat

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I cant help it I have to ask. Hey Sherv just how much does Nutech have you on the payroll for? I sure hope they pay you extremelywell to try and brainwash everyone into buying one. And for the record I have nothing bad to say about Nutech because I have never owned one. I try to keep my opinions to myself about brands that i have never owned unlike you. I can only assume you have never owned a Redcat, because if you did you would be speaking of personal experiences while you constantly bash them for being an inferior product, and I have yet to hear of any of those experiences.

On another note you called Obeast out for having problems with filling the gas tank on the Nutech. I cant help but wonder why, from what ive seen he has offered an unbiased opinion about the Nutech platform which by the way is a car he has owned, which is less than can be said for you about Redcat.

On yet another note why dont you try paying attention to what people say before making a comment on something, Dale explained that he had a problem with the nylock nut that keeps the gears in place, not a set screw like you havecommented abouton two seperate occasionsby the way. It may seem like apples to oranges to you but a set screw and a nylock nut are two completely different pieces of hardware with two completely different functions. And if this were a situation where it was a new owner wondering whats wrong with his car and asked for info needing help, you would have steered him in thewrong direction by not paying attention to details.

People like you are a cancer on these forums because you are so blinded and one sided by a certain brand you consider other brands to be inferior.And dont think the little comment you made to Dale about keeping the Rampage makes you look any better, anyone who has been paying attention on this forum knows thatyou bow downto only one brand and thats Nutech because youcantstop yourself fromforcefeeding their name to people. Andits getting old and tiresome to be honest!

And before you ask YES I am a Redcat owner, and NOI am not a Redcat dealer!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i can see this going south

why is it HPI and redcat have this near religious following....it's like the bleedin crusades.. can't say a bad word about them without someone wanting to poke you in the eye with a pointy stick... and it usually degrades into petty diatribe.

We own and play with toy cars, that, in many peoples' minds, makes us big kids...which we probably are...however it don't mean we have to act like one

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

On a lighter note, Looks like your gear cover is VERY well vented now Dale

Moo: I dont mind people saying bad things about the Ramp, if they have experience with them. But to blindly say "shoulda got a Nutech" in this Redcat thread is asking for it. Thats my point. I wouldn't dare go to NRF, or any forum for that matter and chime in "shoulda got a Redcat" in a Nutech thread. Its more of a respect thing, and that is something I think Sherv and a few others needs to learn.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sucks you are having problems man, but I just find it amusing when hpi Baja owners have to consistently point out they have the HPI version, just the amount of times you mention it makes me chuckle.
    There is a reason for this and it isn't to seem elitist. I don't know anything about the clone bajas. I don't know how reliable they are or if they are any good. I say HPI Baja because I don't want some reader to assume their experience with a Baja clone will be the same as mine with an HPI Baja. Since I don't know a thing about the clones, I specify HPI Baja to clear up an ambiguity.

My only experience with a Baja clone was a new clutch I got from one for my HPI where one shoe came unglued from the shoe within 10 seconds of starting.

Make sense?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is my Rampage experience in pictures... We had photographers take almost 1,000 photos of all of our cars for the video shoot. This is the ONLY picture they got of my Rampage before it broke.

After the Rampage broke, look what I did to my Bajas. What I am saying is, I can't even get my Rampage to go reliably in a circle in the flat dirt!!! Comparatively, I beat the living tar out of my mostly stock 5T. It is night and day how much more reliable the 5T is.

Do you see what I am saying? I have very capable 1/5 scale platforms. Why do I spend any more time on one that can't give me this kind of performance and fun? My 5T broke one lower rear shock mount after just beating it senselessly for hours. The Rampage couldn't even begin to handle the abuse I put the HPI Bajas through.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So, I can repair the screw and make some more changes. But then the next thing will come along. And the next thing. And the next thing. I know I have come a long way with the Rampage, and I am sure the new owner can make it right, but I am just done with it. I want to take my cars out, I want to beat them and I want to run them for long periods of time with minimal problems. I know this nirvana exists because I have achieved it with another platform.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You get what you pay for as they say. The very few Redcat products Ive seen kickin around here have proven to be absolute garbage and 100% unreliable. Steering knuckles(and transmission shaft bearings) seem to be the recurring issue here locally with the 2 Redcat owners I know. Nutech and more specifically HPI make a much better 1/5th scale product. Can't wait for the Baja Shortcourse SS kit to come out. Im on board for one of those.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast