Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

5th Scale Brushless Buggy RTR

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:38 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 5th Scale Brushless Buggy RTR

ok $700 plus shipping from them?
but only 30-35mph [:-]
Old 01-30-2011, 08:47 AM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Until regular people have them, we will not know the exact top speed. Batteries, gearing and tires all play a part in the top speed.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:02 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Until regular people have them, we will not know the exact top speed. Batteries, gearing and tires all play a part in the top speed.
just not impressed at all for $700+ [:-]
Old 01-30-2011, 07:00 PM
RedcatRacing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We realize that since we are one of the first to have a 1/5 scale brushless RTR that many will be apprehensive to just drop $700+ and that is expected.

The instant power you get from this 1/5 vehicle is just something you have to see to really believe. I think that is what will cause some people to want one. Of course it is not for everyone, but when I have been driving it around it is just hard to explain the speed to size comparison of say a 1/8 brushless vehicle.

With stock batteries, ESC and Motor the speed was about 43-44MPH.

Darin

Old 01-30-2011, 07:57 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: RedcatRacing

We realize that since we are one of the first to have a 1/5 scale brushless RTR that many will be apprehensive to just drop $700+ and that is expected.

The instant power you get from this 1/5 vehicle is just something you have to see to really believe. I think that is what will cause some people to want one. Of course it is not for everyone, but when I have been driving it around it is just hard to explain the speed to size comparison of say a 1/8 brushless vehicle.

With stock batteries, ESC and Motor the speed was about 43-44MPH.

Darin

I have seen no gps to back up low 40's in this $700 buggy[:-]
looks way more like low 30's in all the videos posted
700bucks for that... not from me
your right, $700 for a 35mph buggy is not for everyone! including me

take a look at Castle's new power for the Baja gas buggies! now that's power for 5th scale
Old 01-30-2011, 10:42 PM
JohnnyGreed

No one forcing you to buy it? I think its very interesting and the possibilities to tweak and get more out of this is endless. Stop wining! 699$ including Lipos is not much.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:52 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

and 40MPH aint bad for a 1/5 scale. it might not be as quick as a gasser, but it will have better acceleration.
you really have to see something that big in person to understand what its like to control something that large doing 40mph and being crazy fast off the line.

when you consider that the ESC alone costs over $100, plus $100 worth in lipos, plus shipping costs and its huge scale...
sure, i to wish it could have been done for $500. but $700 doesnt surprise me, and its a pretty good price. remember, know one else sells anything like it right now. redcat is in uncharted waters here! i give them [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 01-31-2011, 01:03 AM
JohnnyGreed

Im really thinking of ordering this one! Waiting for some reviews first...
Old 01-31-2011, 02:21 AM
Sherv
My Feedback: (1)

700 dollars gets you a brushless traxxas revo.... And they are kinda big. So 700 for a 1/5 electric isnot so bad.
only problem is that the hobby wing esc might be ats limit and may burn up plus there no way the xb will be as durable.

The only other electric 1/5 buggy is the model concept france CrossOver and that will blow the **** out of the xb. Watch videos of the elecgric and gas powered crossover. It is VERY impressive. Different class and price range
Old 01-31-2011, 05:33 AM
fgbasher
My Feedback: (10)

I pre-ordered one to try out. Unfortunately for me, here in Jersey, there is very limited space to run large scales, all the land that is around here is either farmland or is land that is under construction for warehousing. You get about 3 months of time to run on the warehouse land before they start building. We have a huge park here too but the cops stop you after 1 person complains of the noise from my gassers. I admit gassers are fun and I will keep the ones I have. But the brushless is interesting to me. I know it won't be silent but I may be able to get some runtime in the park now with the brushless. Plus no smoke so it should keep the cops from kicking us out. As for the price tag, it is not bad considering what I spend on my Savage flux to convert it to larges scale:

Savage flux $550
tcs crawlers flux 1/5 conversion $150
proline 1/5 tires and rims $130

that is $830 right there before batteries and the upgrades needed to handle the 1/5 scale size (shocks, body, etc).

After dropping that much, $700 for a large scale brushless with lipos is not bad. Plus if you look or ask around, you can get them cheaper.

The 1/8 scales do not compare to the 1/5 scale when it comes to size. a 1/5 scale coming at you at 40 mph appears a lot faster than a 1/8 scale coming at you.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:39 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Sherv

700 dollars gets you a brushless traxxas revo.... And they are kinda big. So 700 for a 1/5 electric isnot so bad.
only problem is that the hobby wing esc might be ats limit and may burn up plus there no way the xb will be as durable.

The only other electric 1/5 buggy is the model concept france CrossOver and that will blow the **** out of the xb. Watch videos of the elecgric and gas powered crossover. It is VERY impressive. Different class and price range
the xb-e wieghs about 14-15 pounds. that isnt much more than an emaxx or savage, which run very good on the ezrun 150amp ESC.
the lighter weight should also add to its durabitlity. more mass = more damage! the lighter the chassis the less damage it should take when you hit something or land badly after a jump.

only time will tell. cant wait to read some owner reviews of the buggy.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:56 AM
Obeast44

ORIGINAL: srt10

take a look at Castle's new power for the Baja gas buggies! now that's power for 5th scale
You won't spend $700 on a fully RTR 1/5 Brushless buggy that will do 35mph+ but you would pay $550+ for a motor/esc combo thats limited to just 2 more cells? Besides show me a 1/5 gasser that can hit those speeds consistently at Milestone, LargescaleRC, Digger's Dungeon or any of the other road course style tracks. I know none of mine ever would, even with some high dollar engines. Also the majority of brushless 1/8 buggy/truggy guys gear for a top speed of around 40mph, depending on the track of course. So it would seem to me they pretty much hit the nail on the head in that respect. I wish I had mine already so I could put some of the naysayers to rest.

@Sherv: While the Crossover is pure awesomeness, the price isn't so much. That thing is hella expensive.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:28 AM
Sherv

ORIGINAL: Obeast44

You won't spend $700 on a fully RTR 1/5 Brushless buggy that will do 35mph+ but you would pay $550+ for a motor/esc combo thats limited to just 2 more cells? Besides show me a 1/5 gasser that can hit those speeds consistently at Milestone, LargescaleRC, Digger's Dungeon or any of the other road course style tracks. I know none of mine ever would, even with some high dollar engines. Also the majority of brushless 1/8 buggy/truggy guys gear for a top speed of around 40mph, depending on the track of course. So it would seem to me they pretty much hit the nail on the head in that respect. I wish I had mine already so I could put some of the naysayers to rest.

@Sherv: While the Crossover is pure awesomeness, the price isn't so much. That thing is hella expensive.
Of course, you pay top dollar for good quality and design.
BMW vs Kia

Performance vs Value

Totally different classes.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:39 AM
srt10

ORIGINAL: JohnnyGreed

No one forcing you to buy it? I think its very interesting and the possibilities to tweak and get more out of this is endless. Stop wining! 699$ including Lipos is not much.
What a joke!
$700 to $800 for a 35mph buggy, no thanks!
and in my opinion, others should know for that price they can have a much better RC with a REVO

there is a 8th scale buggy on the market right now that runs on 3s that does mid 40s and it's only 200bucks! [:-]
this thing should be priced at around $400.. the videos of this 5th scale are a dog
Old 01-31-2011, 10:12 AM
RedcatRacing

ORIGINAL: Obeast44

Of course, you pay top dollar for good quality and design.
BMW vs Kia

Performance vs Value

Totally different classes.

Nice, compared to a Kia instead of a Yugo. Looks like you are starting to come around Sherv.

Darin
Old 01-31-2011, 10:30 AM
Sherv

Kias aren't bad cars especially now that Hyundai has taken over Quality Control. It wasn't a bad comment IMO. It's a completely different class market. and I think the 700 dollars for the XB Brushless is fair because there is nothing else in its class to compete against it. There is no one else for it to be any cheaper for. Until it has a competitor 700 dollars is now the Benchmark.
There was a video from Andrew Simolniak (he left CEN though) with a CEN MT with a Hobby Wing ESC/Motor but that wasn't RTR so there isn't any competition. Plus I would buy an XB any day over that rebadged FS P.O.C.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:37 AM
RedcatRacing

Kias aren't bad cars especially now that Hyundai has taken over Quality Control. It wasn't a bad comment IMO. It's a completely different class market. and I think the 700 dollars for the XB Brushless is fair because there is nothing else in its class to compete against it. There is no one else for it to be any cheaper for. Until it has a competitor 700 dollars is now the Benchmark.
There was a video from Andrew Simolniak (he left CEN though) with a CEN MT with a Hobby Wing ESC/Motor but that wasn't RTR so there isn't any competition. Plus I would buy an XB any day over that rebadged FS P.O.C.
Thanks man, I was just kidding about the Kia comment by the way.

Have a good day.

Darin

Old 01-31-2011, 11:07 AM
lightning73

What a joke!
and in my opinion, others should know for that price they can have a much better RC with a REVO

there is a 8th scale buggy on the market right now that runs on 3s that does mid 40s and it's only 200bucks! [:-]
this thing should be priced at around $400.. the videos of this 5th scale are a dog
Dude why are you so bitter? And whyare you investing so much of your time trying tocreate a bad name for Redcat? Have you ever owned one? If not than why are you even offering an opinion! How about letting other people decide for themselves wether or notthey think the new electric buggy is a good deal!
Old 01-31-2011, 11:23 AM
srt10

ORIGINAL: lightning73

What a joke!

Dude why are you so bitter? And why are you investing so much of your time trying to create a bad name for Redcat? Have you ever owned one? If not than why are you even offering an opinion! How about letting other people decide for themselves wether or not they think the new electric buggy is a good deal!
bitter not at all?
not sure why the comment?
why are you a bitter redcat dealer?
My LHS has had them and what they sold they have had issues with
they will not stock them again, even if they are cheaply priced, I was told my the manager they are not worth the problems

a buggy like this should be priced at around $400, maybe $450.. its a 35mph buggy after all.. and that's my opinion that I can freely give

better products out there for this kind of cash
Old 01-31-2011, 11:48 AM
fgbasher
My Feedback: (10)

[/quote]

better products out there for this kind of cash
[/quote]

You are missing the point, this is large scale, yes you can get a revo or any other 1/8 scale. some of us just want largescale. I had my fun of playing with the 1/10 and 1/8th scales. The larges scales in my opinion are more fun.

Why is everyone so gunned about the speed. With the size of these large scales, 35mph is pretty fast considering the size of these. The stock gassers are about the same. If you are racing it, it is more about take off speed than top speed. I have not seen many tracks that you can get to top speed with the large scales for a period of time that it matters anyway.

This thread was not started to argue over the price of the buggy. Do you think if HPI created a large scale electric baja, it would be lesst han $700? I highly doubt it. look at the 5tsc, same chassis, a slightly different body and a front and rear bumpers for $130 more than the original 5T at DDM and they are giving a free pipe with the 5T. How is that justified?

Old 01-31-2011, 01:28 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Always interresting in here.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:55 PM
laganm21

Do you have a 1/5th scale SRT10? its the simple fact that a large scale handles and drive diff than a 1/8th or 1/10 scale. As for the speed 40 sounds good to me , my rampage MT is slower than that and I wont drive close to my feet even at upper 30s mph, unlike a Revo are Emaxx you getting hit by a large scale it just dont leave a scratch.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:30 PM
racetruck

rob your killing me now i want 3 new XT-B-E []
Old 01-31-2011, 06:48 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

im quoting a post by "redcat mike"

""also, the XB-e will have considerably higher top speed AND acceleration than the gas XB.

We have not received the final production cars yet to get a top speed estimate yet.. but im guessing its 45-50 MPH.""

sounds pretty quick to me.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:39 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do have to say srt10, you stated your opinion many times as far as the price goes in this thread, and yes you're entitled to it. Just remember it gets old for anyone having to keep hearing the same thing over and over, no matter who is saying it.

I'm personally very excited about this buggy. From the looks of the vids it has great punch off the line and pretty good top end too. I wouldn't doubt it'll be over 35mph, but its always better to under rate it a bit. I'm not crazy about the 6s esc, but that could always be changed. Any more details on the motor, 2 or 4 pole? Shaft diameter? Details on the sour/pinion tooth count and pitch would be nice too. Sorry for all the questions, trying to plan ahead!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.