Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Cold Weather Engine Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 03:14 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold Weather Engine Issues

What would cause an engine to go out of tune even though I just ran it in the cold the other day(probably the same temps). It will start fine but it runs raggedy then cuts off after WOT...I have adjusted the carb (668) as much as was reasonable but it only ran a little better with it rich but it still cut off soon after WOT. Any ideas?? BTW, this engine hasn't had no more than 20 tanks in it and was running great two days ago.
TIA
Old 01-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Lars from Norway

Default RE: Cold Weather Engine Issues

Maybe any leaks all of a sudden? Have you checked the carb gaskets when the engine is running to see if it draws false air from somewhere around between the carb and the engine? Also check the throttle valve shaft for wear and/or leaks by using start gas or WD-40 or similar. Be careful not to spray it directly on the filter as this will give you a "false reading".
Old 01-24-2011, 03:36 PM
bbuzzard

I will check tomorrow...thanks Lars
Old 01-25-2011, 06:18 AM
sparky 25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After running my baja last year on a frozen lake in -9 temps for about a tank of fuel,

it started to run as you say your is doing now, tried tunning it and then changed the carb which made no difference,

it would run but when it got to half throttle it would splutter and have a hard time idleing,

i found it to be a headgasket on the way out, it wasn`t blown it just had a damp showing at the spurgear side,

changed the gasket and it now runs perfect.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:26 AM
bbuzzard

Yeah, I'm thinking it is the gasket or a seal somewhere...I will take it apart this weekend and check. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2011, 01:07 PM
kidd

had the same issue yesterday. but i didn't think anything about it. because it did the same thing last year and ran perfect during the summer. guess what? any guesses what i just found?
Old 01-25-2011, 01:17 PM
bbuzzard

I'm guessing enough on my motor...what did you find?
Old 01-25-2011, 03:30 PM
aluminum crusher

ORIGINAL: bbuzzard

What would cause an engine to go out of tune even though I just ran it in the cold the other day(probably the same temps). It will start fine but it runs raggedy then cuts off after WOT...I have adjusted the carb (668) as much as was reasonable but it only ran a little better with it rich but it still cut off soon after WOT. Any ideas?? BTW, this engine hasn't had no more than 20 tanks in it and was running great two days ago.
TIA
Hi i had the same problem as you did and it was my carb manifold gasket.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:46 PM
kidd

a leak at the head gasket. i torqued the head bolts. but i think that's only going to get me so far. wish i had the money to convert to four bolt.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:42 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

ive read in other forums that you should be using a different kind of piston?i pmd u link hope it helps.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:36 PM
bbuzzard

I'm not real sure what the issue was but I had a ported headkit to go on that GP290 and all is good once I did the upgrade. There were no leaks that I could tell, everything was tight. The top of the piston exhibited black tarring but that probably was due to my issues with the carb (I ran it rich for a long time) or it may have been the plug but that wasn't oily at all, just dark.I will attest to this headkit though (DDM port job) it is definitely a monster!!
I appreciate all the input!
Thanks
b